TLE300M on 2 x 18500 or 18650 - anyone?!

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
I just bought a TerraLux 300M off eBay and was hoping to run it on 2 x 18650 2200 mAh cells in a Mag 2 D, which, of course, are a bit long, so I tried 2 x 18500 1500 mAh cells with magnet spacers, but it did not fire up. Cells are charged, but not freshly. Has anyone else with a TLE300M tried to run it like this and had no success?

I just bought an 8 AA to 2 D adaptor on CPF MP, so I hopefully will be good to go in about 2 weeks, but wondered if I should get a D body adaptor and / or modify the tail-cap spring to use the 18650 cells?

Thanks!

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
Upddate: I tried 3 e-lectronincs.net RCR123A 600 mAh 3.0 v ic protected regulated li-ion cells in my 2 D TLE300M set up and the best I got out of it was a brief flash-on each time I clicked the switch on. I guess I am going to have to use my soon-to-arrive 8AA-to-2D adaptor!

Any other ideas?

skyva

Newly Enlightened
All I can say is mine seems to run fine on 4 D dell alkalines. That is roughly 6v, so I can't see why 6+ would be a problem. I am guessing there is substantial current draw, perhaps that causes hiccups in the protection circuits. I have no experience in batteries, but the tle300 has 3 globes, and rcr123s maybe can't push the current required. I have nseen some charts, and it appears that the higher the voltage, the higher the current draw. If so, would 2 x 123's work as the current draw is less?
It seems your idea of multiple AA's may provide a relatively cheap way to get the current you need.
I love the loght by the way, really lights up the paddock with throw and a bit of flood.

GLOCK18

Enlightened
Testing A Terra Luxl TLE-300M
I tested the Terra Lux TLE-300M with the following voltage 7.2 (6 eneloop AA in a Five mega holder) works fine, next voltage 11.1 volts using 3 Lio-Ion 17670 in a Five Mega holder no issue, next 22.2 volts using 6 R123 in a Five mega holder worked for about 30 second then dimmed real low now it won't power up correctly with the 11.1 volts or the 22.1 volts, it will hower work as it should with 7.2 volts. I will check with Terra Lux see what the say.

Last edited:

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
Thanks, skyva - my main concern is to try to get it to run in as small / light a form-factor that I can; that, plus I don't have a 4D!

Thanks a lot, GLOCK18, for the offer to check with TL. I had contacted fivemega, who reminded me of his sales thread for MagCharger / D body extension tubes, so I might go that route for the 18650 cells and just add a 17 mm charger spacer and rare earth magnets. I will try out the 8AA-to-2D adaptor & 8 AA eneloop cells I bought from bxstylez first to see how that works with this emitter.

If I CAN get this to work, I think I might have quite the sleeper here:

(unsuspecting partner): "Broccolo, what's that stubby Mag for?"

(me, nonchalantly): "I don't know, not much, I mean, look at it. Go ahead, LOOK at it" (BAWHOOM!)

(unsuspecting, now temporarily blinded, partner): "Dabnab you!"

(me): "BWAHHAHAHAHAHAH!"

Not that I have ever done that before! Crap, one guy nearly threw a pair of RCR123A cells in a ditch on me!

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easiest would be to cut the spring. It needs to be about 10-12mm shorter.
Replacements are cheap if you make a mistake.

I got 2 of these - $5 each
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=3987

That D spring is 8mm shorter than standard D spring. Probably still a bit too much force (standard mag setup has a lot of spring force on the cells) - so better to be cut down a little bit but the coils of the spring are smaller at the top so easier to make a good size for mating with the back of the smaller 18650 cell.

Simple solution and neater than having an extender.

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
Well, I KNOW that the TLE300M works, as I JUST received an 8AA-to-2D adaptor with 8 Eneloop NiMH cellsthat I bought from bxstylez, and even not fully charged up the cells fired it up!

I also just received 4 Ultrafire 18650 cells that I bought from yazkaz, so I will try them with my Koehler - Bright-Star D springs and see if they can do the job. If they do, you KNOW what I will have to do after that, of course - get another Mag 2 D!

CORRECTION: When I tried the 8 AA with the TLE300M, BEFORE recharging them, they worked, but AFTER recharging them they would NOT fire it up. I even removed one of the cells and replaced it with a dummy AA (a AAA-to-AA adaptor with a piece of steel for contact) but it still would NOT fire it up.

However, when I removed the AA cells and adaptor, put in my PVC tubes, 2 of yazkaz' 18650 cells (as received and NOT recharged yet, so who knows?) and a shortened B-S / K spring, the TLE300M worked again. I will recharge the cells soon and let you know.

Last edited:

stansbrew

Newly Enlightened
I am running it in a 2 d M@g and all I did was make a tube to fit the 18650's and pulled the stock spring and flipped it over, that shortens it enough for the 2 18650s to fit perfectly! I would like to do a tri bore and fit 3 of them in there next with a five mega adapter, but they will be 17670s instead.