looking for headlamp

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
I would like some help looking for a headlamp.

Things I'm looking for:
*AA powered (not AAA, this is a dealbreaker)
*Preferably 3xAA or 4xAA battery pack in rear
*Modern LED, no need for modding. Rebel, Cree, or SSC
*Flood and throw is a plus, not dealbreaker. Rotating diffuser? 5mm's + high power?
*I don't care about extra colors (not a dealbreaker if it has them)

Some things I am looking at:
Myo XP, but there seems to be lack of heatsinking, and no regulation
PT Apex, but the hinge looks like a weak point

How is the actual build quality and longevity of these two?

Also, Energizer makes two different Cree headlamps, but I can't find too much info on the Hard Case Professional one, and absolute no info on the other one
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/tufhd31ph.pdf
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/elhd2a3al.pdf

Light will be ran on NiMH, and mounted on helmet.

CampingLED

Enlightened
I have a blue MYO XP with a SSC P4-U fitted. I can recommend it to anybody. The new Grey one fits most of your requirements. I.t.o. regulation, it does have multi modes and a temp sensor touching the heat sink. This is not quite the type of current regulation what we all want, but is does protect the LED. True, heat sinking is not as good as it should be, but it can be used on high setting for extended periods of time. Built quality it very good for a light with a plastic housing.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
My modified PT Apex lights have taken some pretty hard hits while caving and have survived quite well. I modified one for a friend and his hinge was cracked but still quite sturdy. I wouldn't worry about it much.

But it is about time for PT to release something new and interesting since others are getting ready to release some interesting headlamps soon.

Mark620

Enlightened
I like the Apex but a friend of mine has all kinds of trouble with them...I think he is on his third light and it has hinge problems.

Ferreter5

Newly Enlightened
Myo XP, but there seems to be lack of heatsinking, and no regulation
I have the new grey 2008 MYO XP and I like it alot so far. Nice levels and I like the spot/flood flip-up option.

Wish they would put out a swap-able clear/red flip-up diffuser option though.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i own both of those Energizer HL's.

they both are nice. i prefer the so called "Lithium" headlamp better than the "Hardcase" model. however, with either HL there is not much to "crab" about. IMO, they are better than many other HL's out there and i prefer them to any of Black Diamond's HLs (i own just 'bout all of what BD currently Mfr's and has previously Mfr'd going back about two earlier generations of HLs, except the Solaris).

however, +1 on Ferreter5's recommendation on the 2008 Myo XP. however, i haven't tested it on NiMH. since the Myo is NOT regulated, it will probably start out just a tad dimmer than when running on alkalines, but after 15-30 min of use will easily surpass alkalines in o.p. in fact, possibly(???), on HIGH or BOOST the NiMH's may outperform the alkalines from the "get-go" *IF* the alkalines suffer fr/too much voltage sag at the higher current draws (again, i haven't tested my '08 MyoXP w/NiMH's so i'm just wondering "out loud" or in print, so to speak - perhaps i shouldn't have??).

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Half-Watt, where did you find the Hard Case Pro (tufhd31p)? I haven't seen them around here yet and was interested in looking at one.

Thanks.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i know that i purchased the "Lithium" HL fr/Greg at BrightGuy.com.

even when i wrote the prev. Post yesterday, i was racking my brain tyring to remember where i purchased the Hardcase HL. it was a first time purchase, i think, fr/some website i found by Googling.

...oh, just remembered, let me check...

ok, just Googled and it was as i thought (but was not sure of).

it was BoTach Tactical. here's the URL

http://www.botachtactical.com/enhaprhe.html

i actually have ordered fr/BoTach both before and since. no problems on any order (in fact, some Duracell CR123A cells in transit even now for another application - NOT in the Hardcase HL; BTW BoTach has some excellent prices on both Energizer and Duracell CR123A cells; they are sold out now on the Energizer's which were only $2.00 per two-pack - NOT that one would use CR123A cells in this particular HL). they generally ship, in all my purchases at least, 2 business days after order is placed.

another thing i remembered about the Hardcase HL: only less than "hard" aspect to the headlamp is the somewhat "cheezy" beam diffuser.

i know that if i'm not real careful, i will snap the beam diffuser off trying to deploy it for use. it's deployable, but it is not smooth and binds up. so, in essence while it's deployable, it's deplorable. however, it appears to stow away much easier with no binding - and, this is a good thing.

one nice thing about the beam diffuser is that it also deploys over, not only the WHITE LED beam, but also the RED and GREEN LEDs as well. very nice indeed.

other than that one "crab" i mentioned, it's a pretty decent HL as i recall (i have it stored right now and other than the one set of cells i ran through it, i haven't used it since - this is NOT b/c it's a bad HL; it's not; it was quite nice as i recall; it's just that i have a ton of lights and HL's, so, other than a very few, most only get used initially and then occasionally afterwards when the memory of their use dims and i want to "experience" them again).

Last edited: