so much to learn

daribbler

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I'm new to this flashlight world. I always loved flashlights when I was young. I find myself always on this forum at home and at work. lol I did read some of the threads but I can't seem to find the right thread with the info I want. What I want to know is what led is the newer led...Q5 or P4. And how do you guys know what drop-in will fit? I was thinking about buying a cheap torch to start off with but I don't want something that I will get bored of or complain that the light isn't bright enough. Yes, I am the type that always wants the best. :grin2: So, I'm looking for a light that takes AA. This torch will be used for anything from search for my cat when it runs outside to walking through woods to a secluded fishing spot. I'm not too familiar with what the numbers mean in judging throw and lightbox. Sorry if my questions are noobish...well fact of the matter is that I am. lol

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
Nitecore Infinity looks like a good match...Q5 is a newer cree led that is quite powerful,also the fenix l1d 2.0 is worth taking a look at...gl and:welcome:

Grey Massacre

Newly Enlightened
Hello Darribler,

As a newb myself I will try to help you out! I just found out many members of another forum I visit are torches collectors so I decided to join the fun!

I not a flashaholic yet but during the last 3 days I have been reading countless posts, looking to buy a LED double CR123 torch and I am pretty set. One really good site regarding reviews is this one. You will find mostly the newer stuff on this site, very well organized and you can compare models.

Other references: Here and here.

As for a AA powered cheap solution I have been owning a CMG Infinity Ultra for quite some time (on my keychain), I would say close to 6 years and it is still going and doing the job for light illumination! Other than that I urge you to go on those sites or simply use the search engine, it is your friends.

Cheers and welcome aboard!

Charles

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I have a lot of flashlights. . . more than I care to count and from many of the top manufacturers (Fenix, Surefire, Zebralight, and many others) A great place to start would be a Fenix L2D Q5. It has a top notch LED emitter, takes standard AA batteries, and is very bright since it takes 2 batteries instead of 1.

You won't have to spend lots of money on expensive lithium batteries or have to upgrade it with a drop-in like most Surefires or similar. Plus, it has a good range of light modes to play with.

MY L2D's are the first really excellent lights I bought, and are still my go-to light for most every daily need. The L2D is the light I compare everything else I have against.

Last edited:

VolumeRate

Newly Enlightened
take it easy, not so hard, i think, but need some time to accumulate the things...

1dash1

Enlightened
Daribbler:

I think Grey Massacre and Yucca Patrol have complementary ideas. Pick up both the Fenix L2D Q5 and the Infinity Ultra (now licensed by Gerber). The Fenix will provide you with a decent amount of throw and good run time. The Infinity will give you a low-level flood with even better run times. You'll be surprised at how much of a gem the small light turns out to be in everyday use. Besides, carrying a backup is always a good idea.

Or you can go with a one-light-to-do-it-all-strategy. Ninjaz7's choice of the NDI is good - but I'd suggest that the Nitecore SmartPD D10 looks like a more attractive product.

tygger

Enlightened
For a secondary light I would say go for the Fenix E01 over the Gerber Infinity Ultra. The Fenix is cheaper, brighter, and can easily fit on a keychain. And it will run for well over 10 hours on a single (alkaline) AAA. The Infinity Ultra is a great light, but thats just hard to beat.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Bin Code(output wise) for Cree XR-E LED, in order of efficiency:

P3, P4, Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5, R2(there are some that aren't out yet like the R4 and others that are dimmer that I didn't list like the N4).

But if you like a warmer color, then I haven't seen a Q5 rated neutral or warm white Cree XR-E LED.

What's your price range?
How much output(or how far do you want the light to throw)?
Multimode?
Runtime?

The Fenix L2D-CE Q5 is a pretty good choice, so is the L2T V2.0 if you want a simpler light. If you want more throw, look at the Olight T25. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8" and 5% off coupon at Batteryjunction is "CPF2006"(has it changed?).

Overall output is measured in lumen and throw is usually measured in lux, most prefer at 1 meter and that seem to be where many measure at.

:welcome:

daribbler

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for everyone's replies...you guys reply fast too lol. Well since I'm not yet a flashaholic my budget will be pretty low. I was checking out the Budget High-Performance LED DX/KD Flashlights Review thread by bessiebenny https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/199062 and what do you guys think of those lights listed? If I would've just purchased one without doing any research I think I would've chosen the Romisen RC-N3. I mean...it has 6 stars...$17 and it takes AA's. But not sure about the P4 led. I'm guessing it's an older led. Also, is 1900 Throw a good throw? What does the "1900" represent? feet? And what does the Lightbox # represent? I would like a good throw, multimode if possible, 1 or 2 AA battery, under $30, not sure whats a good runtime range but I want it to run as long as possible of course. I have AA/AAA NiMH charger that's one of the reasons why I want a torch that uses AA's. :twothumbs

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think 1900 is the lux at 1 meter with his Lux Meter.(not all are calibrated the same way so the same light can be 1000 lux at 1 meter with one, and 1500 lux at 1 meter with another). Lux is used to measure the intensity of the light.

The Lightbox is used to approximate the lumen output of the light.

This
and this could be helpful.

1dash1

Enlightened
Daribber:

As a point purchase, you can't go wrong with the Romisen RC-N3 (P4) for under $20. However, for about $5 more, I'd suggest getting the upgraded Q5 version. See comparison pic's:

http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=17539.0
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=179032

And you won't find a finer vendor than the following:

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-Flashlights/searchpath/6728/start/17/total/26/Categories

Don't forget to enter CPFuser at checkout for a 6% discount.

Last edited:

daribbler

Newly Enlightened
Daribber:

As a point purchase, you can't go wrong with the Romisen RC-N3 (P4) for under $20. However, for about $5 more, I'd suggest getting the upgraded Q5 version. See comparison pic's:

http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=17539.0
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=179032

And you won't find a finer vendor than the following:

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-Flashlights/searchpath/6728/start/17/total/26/Categories

Don't forget to enter CPFuser at checkout for a 6% discount.

thanks! I was just about to ask you about Shiningbeam.com. However, when I enter the CPFuser promo code it doesn't take the 6% off. Bummer. Is there a new code? Or do I just have bad timing?

Edit: I'm an idiot...I didn't calculate right. lol But yeah, I think I'm gonna just go with the RC-N3 with Q5. Unless someone has a better alternative for the same amount of money. Only if it had modes...lol

Also, thanks for everyone welcoming me. I hope I wont become a flashaholic anytime soon. :crackup:

Last edited:

Aluminous

Enlightened

daribbler

Newly Enlightened
ok, so I just ordered the RC-N3 Q5. I hope I wont be wanting more lumens. lol but thanks for everyone's replies and greetings. :thumbsup: