White dot on new Surefire L1 head - purpose???

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all - I have been playing with my new L1 for a few days (amazing light!) and was just wondering what the white dot on the head is for? Does it have a purpose? :thinking:

l1.jpg

I apologize in advance if I totally overlooked the obvious! :shrug:

Thanks!

matt0

Enlightened
Not sure about the newer L1's but the older L1's were offered with different color outputs. Green dot on the head meant green light, red dot meant red light...etc etc...

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just says that there is a white LED inside. :)

As you probably know Surefire also makes flashlights with differently colored LED's. Not necessarily the L1 though.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a highly advanced tracking unit. Surefire tracks all the L1s it sells, to ensure that they are all being used, not not being left as shelf queens. Dont dump it! or surefire call you up as ask if why you have "thrown away" your L1...

:grin2:

Crenshaw

ps: seriously though, its just a remnant from the older L1s that came with different colored LEDS...its to signify a "white" led

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys - 6 responses within 6 minutes of my original post, you guys are amazing! :twothumbs

I was really racking my brain trying to figure it out...

Thanks again!

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a highly advanced tracking unit. Surefire tracks all the L1s it sells, to ensure that they are all being used, not not being left as shelf queens.

Haha - I don't think this tank of a light will ever leave my pocket. Hopefully turning my son into a "believer" tomorrow when I give him his own L1...

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha - I don't think this tank of a light will ever leave my pocket. Hopefully turning my son into a "believer" tomorrow when I give him his own L1...

oh, but you will eventually want to milky it....trust me on that..:naughty:

Crenshaw

DM51

Flashaholic
Most of my A2s had no dots on them, as I bought them here in the MarketPlace. I bought some packets of sticky colored dots and now they all have them, otherwise I think I would keep picking up the wrong one, lol.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Come on guys tell the truth..........

Don't ever peel off that white dot cause if you do the tint will change to an ugly shade of puke green.

SF paid a bunch of money for those MAGIC white dots, to ensure the beams stay white.

Bill

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It identifies the lights religious affliation!

The green dots are not a religion, its a cult! LOL

mwaldron

Enlightened
Most of my A2s had no dots on them, as I bought them here in the MarketPlace. I bought some packets of sticky colored dots and now they all have them, otherwise I think I would keep picking up the wrong one, lol.

I can't stand the colored dots so I found a slightly different solution. I used thin white on clear P-Touch tape to label each light around the bezel with the LED color. The end effect is rather nice. The only draw back is it's not quite as rapid identification as the colored dots. I found this out the hard way when I grabbed one on the way out for a business trip and realized in Boston I had my UV and not my White one. I put the UV to use anyway, my hotel was remarkably clean. :)

2008-03-22_SureFire.png

DM51

Flashaholic
Now that is verrry classy - much better than the dots! How did you print on the tape? Is it heat-proof and reasonably hard-wearing?

mwaldron

Enlightened
I use a much older version of this product from Brother. It connects to your PC via USB and essentially it deposits a layer of white between 2 clear plastic tape layers sealing it. They make tape in many color combinations, for lights I find the White on Clear works best. I do 4x "Color" spaced so each is about 25% of the light.

The text can't scratch off, but the entire label can be removed. It is reasonably durable and removes without a trace so putting a new one later is pretty easy. The trick is making it the right length to wrap around the bezel and join itself so you don't have an easy spot for the corners to snag.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't stand the colored dots so I found a slightly different solution. I used thin white on clear P-Touch tape to label each light around the bezel with the LED color. The end effect is rather nice. The only draw back is it's not quite as rapid identification as the colored dots. I found this out the hard way when I grabbed one on the way out for a business trip and realized in Boston I had my UV and not my White one. I put the UV to use anyway, my hotel was remarkably clean. :)

2008-03-22_SureFire.png

They used to make UV a2s?:drool:

mwaldron

Enlightened
They used to make UV a2s?:drool:

No, it's not stock from SF. Actually all three of those have had some level of modification done to them. The White has a Strion kit and Nichia GS leds, the red one I polished the LEDs for a smooth beam and the UV one used to be blue, which is useless to me, so I upgraded it to UV.

The UV leds I used are kind of crappy, near 400 wavelength. They "sorta" work for me but I would really love to find a source of 365's. If anyone knows of such a source PM me please!

I'm looking forward to my Kroma arriving today, I'd like to do some mods to it as well but I'm afraid to open it and Milky hasn't answered my email from last week yet... I might succumb and try myself. Difficulty and cost of failure much higher on that Kroma though!