Bright but small?

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a flashlight which is suppose to be fairly small (3-4 inch), and that will have a high beam of about 170-200 lumen: I aslo would like it to have different light output modes.

I work as a police officer in plain clothes. I want the flashlight to be small to be able to conceal it. I want it to have a high beam that will light up a car for example at a distance. But I also want it to have different lightmodes that gives me a lower beam to use when i don't need the high output but rather have a longer burntime.

I have been looking at the Fenix P2D Q5.
Would this be a good buy for my purpose or do you have better suggestions?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What size do you want? Also what power source? How many modes? What price? How far should the beam project?

The Fenix P2D is a good light but it would not be the best light for this task. Partially due to the reverse clickie(doesn't turn on until you let go of the switch after you click) and the multimode(a quick on-off-on will change the mode).

Would 2 CR123 work or would that be too big?

:welcome:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RAW AL or NS from Lummi is smaller then a AA battery, puts out 160 lumens on high for 25 min. and 20 lumens for 10 hours and runs off a lithium ½ AA cell which comes with a charger. Though to note: I don't have experience with this light but guess it's throw isn't very far "though batter then multy 5mm LED lights."

oh and :welcome:.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
A three inch, dual mode light with bursted output in the 200+ lumens range can be found in the Arc6.

BillD

Newly Enlightened
:welcome: +1 for checking out Selfbuilt's review of Cr123 lights.

I have a Nitecore Extreme and Jet II Pro 123 light, and I would highly recommend the Jet II Pro for you to consider. It has 3 user programmable light levels, and it is easily to operate with one hand, something I would think would be very important for a LEO. It also has great throw on maximum, and will use RCR123 batteries for reasonable operating costs. Good luck with your search.

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened
What size do you want? Also what power source? How many modes? What price? How far should the beam project?

The Fenix P2D is a good light but it would not be the best light for this task. Partially due to the reverse clickie(doesn't turn on until you let go of the switch after you click) and the multimode(a quick on-off-on will change the mode).

Would 2 CR123 work or would that be too big?

:welcome:

Size between 3-4 inch. I want to use cd123 battery. One or two of them, it doesnt matter. Other than that I just want the high beam to me bright and the the ow beam to be bright enough to execute warrants (to find stuff in a dark place)

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
The Fenix T series have pretty good throw and a nice spill. They're a little chunky around the bezel, but they're definitely pocketable, especially if you remove the pocket clip. I think the TK10 is the smallest of the three (relatively speaking, i know they're all pretty much the same size). My T1 is fitted with an out-of-focus optic to provide more spill, since I generally don't need the tight spot in my every day duties.

carrot

Flashaholic
You did not specify a budget, but the P2D is a good contender for what you ask. 170-200 lumens tends to lean to the unrealistic to expect from a small light like this but as one poster mentioned the upcoming Arc6 will happily achieve over 200 lumens for short periods of time.

About 120 lumens is a reasonable expectation nowadays for a light in this size range and while a rare few lights may exceed that most do not. 60 lumens has long been considered the "minimum" for a light that a police officer may find useful, so unless you know for certain that your specified lumen range is what you need setting your sights a little lower opens up a whole range of possibilities. Remember that lumen ratings are not always equivalent from manufacturer to manufacturer.

I recommend you consider:
Surefire L1
Surefire E1B
Nitecore EX10
Fenix P2D
Arc6

My personal choice for the requirements you list would be the Surefire L1, but I think the others would be perfectly adequate contenders as well.

Here is what someone else said about the L1.
jzmtl said:
Even the low setting can project a very good hot spot over distance, and high is almost comparable with a 200 lumen light.
source

Last edited:

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix T series have pretty good throw and a nice spill. They're a little chunky around the bezel, but they're definitely pocketable, especially if you remove the pocket clip. I think the TK10 is the smallest of the three (relatively speaking, i know they're all pretty much the same size). My T1 is fitted with an out-of-focus optic to provide more spill, since I generally don't need the tight spot in my every day duties.

I really like the TK10 and TK11. Thats the kind of beam I'm looking for. However it seems a little big 5.3 inch (13.5cm).

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened
You did not specify a budget, but the P2D is a good contender for what you ask. 170-200 lumens tends to lean to the unrealistic to expect from a small light like this but as one poster mentioned the upcoming Arc6 will happily achieve over 200 lumens for short periods of time.

About 120 lumens is a reasonable expectation nowadays for a light in this size range and while a rare few lights may exceed that most do not. 60 lumens has long been considered the "minimum" for a light that a police officer may find useful, so unless you know for certain that your specified lumen range is what you need setting your sights a little lower opens up a whole range of possibilities. Remember that lumen ratings are not always equivalent from manufacturer to manufacturer.

I recommend you consider:
Surefire L1
Surefire E1B
Nitecore EX10
Fenix P2D
Arc6

My personal choice for the requirements you list would be the Surefire L1, but I think the others would be perfectly adequate contenders as well.

I don't have a set budget. But I don't wanna spend that much money. The Arc 6 sells for about $225 and that is to much.

I know it's hard to compare different lights, especially when the lumen seems that differs a bit.

But the Surefire lights, like the L1 and the E1B only have 65 and 80 lumen, and that is far from 180.
Can't find info about the Nitecore E10 different light output modes.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the P2D and it is small and bright. However, I would not consider it a good choice as a first go to light for a Police officer. I would not consider this light a tactical light if for the reverse clickie if nothing else. I would look at other choices.

I would seriously consider the E1B Backup.

Bill

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't have a set budget. But I don't wanna spend that much money. The Arc 6 sells for about $225 and that is to much.

I know it's hard to compare different lights, especially when the lumen seems that differs a bit.

But the Surefire lights, like the L1 and the E1B only have 65 and 80 lumen, and that is far from 180.
Can't find info about the Nitecore E10 different light output modes.
Yes, but the way the beam is shaped using lenses you get similar distance performance to a more traditional reflector-based light. I understand that 65 and 80 lumens is a far cry from the 200 lumens you request but I am quite confident you will be pleasantly surprised by how well these "underspec'd" lights perform. While I'm at it, I'll also mention that the P2D's output is overrated by the manufacturer and is probably more around 130-140. The same goes for the EX10.

My older 40-lumen E2L throws almost as well as my 80-lumen C2L, and I find the beam shape of the E2L to be more useful than that of the C2L.

I think we are all very entrenched in the "higher numbers is better" but since beam distribution can vary so much between lights it is very difficult to ascertain what is better for our needs based on specs alone.

jzmtl said:
Even the low setting can project a very good hot spot over distance, and high is almost comparable with a 200 lumen light.
source

Last edited:

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened
Yes, but the way the beam is shaped using lenses you get similar distance performance to a more traditional reflector-based light. I understand that 65 and 80 lumens is a far cry from the 200 lumens you request but I am quite confident you will be pleasantly surprised by how well these "underspec'd" lights perform. While I'm at it, I'll also mention that the P2D's output is overrated by the manufacturer and is probably more around 130-140. The same goes for the EX10.

My older 40-lumen E2L throws almost as well as my 80-lumen C2L, and I find the beam shape of the E2L to be more useful than that of the C2L.

I think we are all very entrenched in the "higher numbers is better" but since beam distribution can vary so much between lights it is very difficult to ascertain what is better for our needs based on specs alone.

source

Unforunatly I donät have the flashlights available to compare. You have right, I might på concentration on the stats to much. It's hard when you can't compare them in real life. But I'm interested in a light that can flood a car with light and a light with a good throw distance. But it should also have the option to have alower beam to use for a couple of hours.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Unforunatly I donät have the flashlights available to compare. You have right, I might på concentration on the stats to much. It's hard when you can't compare them in real life. But I'm interested in a light that can flood a car with light and a light with a good throw distance. But it should also have the option to have alower beam to use for a couple of hours.

The L1 is a nice light where your have a good grip and a fast way to turn it on at full power. The Fenix P3D is a little bit longer and thinner, and it has a smooth surface.
The P3D has more levels and your can not just turn it on in high.

But the P3D has more light output and longer runtime (It uses two batteries and a better led).

Sig Sauer

Newly Enlightened
The L1 is a nice light where your have a good grip and a fast way to turn it on at full power. The Fenix P3D is a little bit longer and thinner, and it has a smooth surface.
The P3D has more levels and your can not just turn it on in high.

But the P3D has more light output and longer runtime (It uses two batteries and a better led).

Are you unable to turn the P3D on at the highest lvl? What are the highest lvl you can turn it on to?
Do you know if it is the sam one the P2D?