Dorcy two pack of Luxeon K2 (160/140 lumen) flashlights for $30 bucks at Costco

Disaster

Newly Enlightened
Been reading these forums for a while and learned a lot. Hopefully, this is my chance to give back.

Costco is selling a pair of Dorcy Luxeon K2 flashlights for $30 bucks. Unfortunately, they run on AAA's...three in the small tactical one, and 6 in the larger one, but they are very bright (claimed 160 and 140 lumens.) Of course, now that we all know about Eneloops, AAA's aren't so expensive. Claimed runtime is 12 hours for the larger flashlight, 6 for the smaller (on AAA alkalines.)

Here is a quick review.

They are machined black anodized aluminum...thin aluminum with a hexagonal head (which keeps them from rolling...a feature I like.)

Smaller flashlight. It runs on 3 AAA's and has a rear mounted tiny rubber switch...about the size of a small eraser head. The rubber feels like it might not last a huge amount of cycles. Internally, the batteries are mounted in a tray and there are o-ring seals. It casts a nice bright light....80% in center with a nice 20% outside ring.

Larger flashlight. It runs on 6 AAA's in a similar tray and also has o-ring seals. It has a two power levels...cycling through them with the side mounted rubber switch (160 lumens and what appears to be the same 140 lumens of the smaller one.) The rubber switch feels more robust than the small light...but still is a little thinner than other flashlights I own. I can't help but wonder if the power level adjustment is done by bypassing one 3 of the cell groups...hope not, because that would reduce the usefullness of the low power setting. The larger flashlight has a swivel at the base to mount a lanyard but one did not come with it (or I accidentally threw it out.)

The flashlights are much lighter weight than the previous Leathermen Monarch 500...but probably plenty tough enough short of driving over them with a tire.

I did a quick dirty comparison to the Monarch (my brightest LED flashlight) and both Dorcy's were brighter and had a whiter light (didn't have fresh batteries in the Monarch though.)

Bottom line. Decent flashlight construction. Excellent performance. Heck of a price.

Last edited:

Darkpower

Newly Enlightened
Re: Dorcy two pack of K2 flashlights for $30 bucks at Costco

I've bought quite a few of the 3x AAA types (and 6X AAA) with K2 LEDs and boasting 120 to 140 lumens using those AAA carriers. Dorcy, Trade-Craft, Brinkman several others have similar design and I have to say they are good flashlights for the money and the AAA carriers I find to be great nifty idea. The reason I like them is there is quite a large variety of chemistry in the AAA format. They are ideally suited for the Energizer Lithium L92 batteries. I use them in my cars using the L92 batteries for the simple reason those batteries have a 10 year plus life and a wide temperature tolerance. The flashlights are cheap enough you can buy it, toss it in the glove box and forget about them for years. The batteries won't leak or self discharge in the extreme heat, plus you'll have a nifty little light running for 2 hours or more at 120 lumens when needed. I would never put a $150 Surefire in my glove box and just forget about it.

Disaster

Newly Enlightened

I've bought quite a few of the 3x AAA types (and 6X AAA) with K2 LEDs and boasting 120 to 140 lumens using those AAA carriers. Dorcy, Trade-Craft, Brinkman several others have similar design and I have to say they are good flashlights for the money...

At what prices? I've never seen two of them for $30 bucks....or $15 a piece. Also, I am curious about the power. Dorcy claims 160 and 140 lumens respectively. They definitely are brighter than the Cree Leatherman Monarch 500...and a bit whiter. I recall the Leatherman claiming 140 lumens for the Monarch.

P.S. What do you do with all your old flashlights. I must have 20 scattered around the house that are embarassingly dim compared to these new ones.

Darkpower

Newly Enlightened

At what prices? I've never seen two of them for $30 bucks....or $15 a piece. Also, I am curious about the power. Dorcy claims 160 and 140 lumens respectively. They definitely are brighter than the Cree Leatherman Monarch 500...and a bit whiter. I recall the Leatherman claiming 140 lumens for the Monarch.

P.S. What do you do with all your old flashlights. I must have 20 scattered around the house that are embarassingly dim compared to these new ones.

Below is what I bought at BJ's for $29.88. They are quite bright, as bright as my 3 watt Brinkman 3x AAA that I paid $39.00 for at Targets last year.

They have a tail light clicky and a flat end so they can set candle stick on a flat top. Very well worth the price and the construction is rather nice for what amounts to a $15 flashlight. :twothumbs

Dscn1690.jpg

Dscn1689.jpg