Diffusing the beam using GITD paint?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Curious... Can glow in the dark paint be used to diffuse the light from a Cree emitter? Say you were to take any $20 generic EDC at DX, sand off the Aluminum reflector coating, paint the emitter dome and reflector with GITD paint. Would it result in more flood? What about ONLY painting the emitter dome? Is the paint durable enough to withstand the temperature extremes of (say) a ~650 mah driven Cree Q-BIN?

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would you sand off the reflector coating, and not just paint over it?

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strangely enough I've done something very similar.

After trying to sputter a mag reflector I ended up with too diffuse a beam. So I decided to paint the whole reflector with GITD paint. I now have pretty much a pure flood beam. And after you turn off the light it glows quite brightly.

A better approach (on a big reflector like the mag light's) might be to cover it with an array of 100's of tiny GITD dots. That would keep most of the beam focused but diffuse a small percentage to spread out the hot spot.

Greg

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Strangely enough I've done something very similar.

After trying to sputter a mag reflector I ended up with too diffuse a beam. So I decided to paint the whole reflector with GITD paint. I now have pretty much a pure flood beam. And after you turn off the light it glows quite brightly.

A better approach (on a big reflector like the mag light's) might be to cover it with an array of 100's of tiny GITD dots. That would keep most of the beam focused but diffuse a small percentage to spread out the hot spot.

Greg

Thanks... do you think the effect would work well on a smaller reflector?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't see why it won't work with a smaller reflector.

Both are just reflecting the light in random directions instead of focusingthe light inot a hotspot.