SureFire G2 & Mini Maglite (AA) LED upgrade

FelixGR

Newly Enlightened
Hello to All!!!

As in my previous post (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2574816)

I come back to you for a SureFire G2 LED (the one with the Metal Front-end) question.

A Friend of mine owns one of these and I explained him the capabilities of the 18650 (as explained 2 me by Marduke-Thank you again :grin2:) and he now wants to know whether it is
possible that the G2 LED also "accepts" the 18650 cell and also whether
the AW (or any similar Protected 3.7V RCR123 cell) will do in the above model. Or at least Which RCR123 would do for G2LED?

Additionally I had a search through this forum and saw that there are LED upgrades for Mini Maglites (AA version). Are they worth the upgrade?

http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=28&product_id=146

and

http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=28&product_id=108

These are 2 different types of upgrades (one with 1W LED and one with 3 LEDs). Is there any info about produced Lumens for each type and duration of burn?

Any suggestions on which one could be better for the AA Mini Maglite? :candle:

See (Read) you all Later
Felix

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't comment on the Surefire question.

As for the Nite-Ize drop-ins:

With the 1 watt drop-in, you retain the focusing ability of the minimag.
They use a Luxeon I emitter, so probably around 45 lumens. Based on another Luxeon based light I have, I'd guess the runtime would be in the 30 to 40 hour range.

I have three of these drop-ins and they are not bad (I plan on modding one of them with a SSC U-bin P4). Think of them as a budget solution if you don't want to spend a lot of money on a drop-in.
If I was to buy a new LED minimag drop-in, i'd go with something from TerraLux.

With the 3-LED drop-in, you lose the focusing ability of the minimag, and it's more of a flooder.
According to Flashlight Reviews, the runtime is about 11 hours before it drops to 50% output.

jbviau

Enlightened
Hi there. No, the 18650 is too fat to fit inside a G2. A 17670 will fit, which is the next best thing (just less capacity).

2 RCR123As would fit inside a G2, but I don't actually know if the SF P60L is rated to handle that level of voltage. It might be, given that the P60L is also used in the G3 with 3 regular CR123 cells IIRC.

roymail

Enlightened
.... he now wants to know whether it is possible that the G2 LED also "accepts" the 18650 cell and also whether the AW (or any similar Protected 3.7V RCR123 cell) will do in the above model. Or at least Which RCR123 would do for G2LED?

18650's are too big to fit in a G2 or in most lights not specifically designed for them. They are 18mm which is too fat for the barrel.

17670's will fit but they are not the optimum choice since they are 3.7v instead of 6v.

AW RCR123's will fit, work well and provide good output.

GPB

Enlightened
I have had both of those Nite Ize products. I did not like the 3 LED version as both of mine had one of the LED's burn out or somehow fail. Also, they came with pushbutton switches and one of them failed as well. The 1 Watt/ IQ Switch upgrade is great for me. It does have limitations. Aparently the switch eats up a lot of current, and there is an automatic shut off after 14.5 minutes that annoys some people...but I love the low-med-high choice, it works great on rechargeables, and the batteries last forever. It is my 3 year olds favorite light and I don't mind giving it to him because of the auto shutoff. ( It won't keep him awake, or drain the batteries ) IF you are looking for the brightest upgrade, this isn't it, but its bright enough and very handy.

GPB

Enlightened
oh yeah.....the other gripe about the upgrade is that the multi-levels are attained by pulsing the light rather than lowering the current, which is almost imperceptable to me, but some are put off by it.

FelixGR

Newly Enlightened
Alright you Guys!!!

Thanx for your input and accept my apologies for taking me so long to answer :)twak:)

-For the G2 question (I'll buy him 2 AW RCR123's just to be on the safe side...) :tinfoil:

-For the Mag question I still have a clue missing here...
If the Red LED on the IQ switch remains "on" continuously will it not drain the Batteries, or by turning the "focus" side of the Mag clockwise will it cut-off the power (just like it does in the flashlight without the upgrade) from the IQ switch as well, thus conserving power? (..."total-off mode"...):thinking:

See you all later

Keep the World Brighter !

Felix
Athens, Greece

FelixGR

Newly Enlightened
-For the Mag question I still have a clue missing here...
If the Red LED on the IQ switch remains "on" continuously will it not drain the Batteries, or by turning the "focus" side of the Mag clockwise will it cut-off the power (just like it does in the flashlight without the upgrade) from the IQ switch as well, thus conserving power? (..."total-off mode"...):thinking:

So guys is the above a fact? :thinking::thinking:

5x5

Newly Enlightened
I have the G2L but only use the CR123A so I can't comment on your first question.

As far as the the Minimags, I have the 3LED NiteIze upgrade and I like it. It has a nice 'floody' output that is not too bright and works great for most tasks. The runtime is just awesome. Easily more than 20 hours. For my other Minimag though I just ordered the Terralux TLE-5EX with the Terralux TCS-1 tailcap switch for more output and throw. Really, that should be enough for most of my needs but I seem to have a problem stopping myself from acquiring more lights. :shakehead

FelixGR

Newly Enlightened
...I seem to have a problem stopping myself from acquiring more lights. :shakehead

I know... this is a problem for me as well :D

:rock:

About the Nite-Ize IQ tailcap do you have any experience with it?
It really worries me the fact that it could drain the batteries by remaining
"stand-by" all the time by blinking this red led.... :confused:

Does someone know whether the IQ switch can be switched completely off? (even the find-in-the-dark red led?) :D