My DIY E01 diffuser and spare batt holder AND DIY clip

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE:

Read and saw on the Fenix website about a clip to fit the E01 and immediately started raiding the stationery drawers at home, in the workplace till i found and took off the clip from a mechanical pencil.

The clip is a tight and firm fit and it doesnt scratch the anodising at all, the slight metallic flecks you may see come from the clip itself. Have learned how to attach the photos now, so enjoy this simple, cheap mod

E01-DIY-Clip.jpg

Pentel.jpg

Let's see what other things might work for this lovely simple EDC light

---------------------------------------

Been reading about diffusers on CPF and happened to be having a runny nose and was looking at the Vicks inhalor, remembered that someone else said that the cap fitted his light and when i tried it on the E01 it worked!!

Then i looked at the inhalor itself, took out a spare AAA and the diameter seemed to be about right, so i whipped out the Gerber Suspension, sawed off about 1/2 of the tube, used the knife blade to smoothen the insides and some sandpaper to get rid of the rough edges and the AAA slipped right in

The cap would probably fit better without the threads but then i wouldnt be able to use it as a spare battery holder.

Am sure that the experts here can improve on this :)

and pardon my crude work, but it did take all of about 4 minutes (yes, my gerber is usually within arms reach EVERYWHERE) but now i'm just sitting here wondering why i need a diffuser for a 10 lumen light, haha

cheers

DSC01067.jpg

DSC01068.jpg

DSC01070.jpg

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My DIY E01 diffuser and spare batt holder

lol. Why do you need a spare battery for your 40 hour runtime light? :)

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

better to have it and never need it than to need it and not have it :) which i believe is why we EDC lights, multitools etc don't we?

HeadCSO

Enlightened

Nice idea. Just tried it and it fits my L0D Q4 as well.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Good idea, hyperloop. I'm always scrounging around for diffusers. Right now I've been using one of those red plastic plug covers that you find on the plug end of a new lamp cord. Gives a nice mellow orange glow.

Geoff

kramer5150

Flashaholic

someone please correct me... I thought menthol inhalers were taken off the market. Apparently thats no longer the case. Nice mod though:twothumbs

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

well, apparently menthol inhalers are alive and well here in singapore :) we could probably send u guys some if u needed us to

jupello

Enlightened

lol. Why do you need a spare battery for your 40 hour runtime light? :)

40 hour? fenix-store.com says "21-hour working time ( 11-hour sun mode plus 10-hour moon mode)", so it's only 11hours of good light.. but yeah, it does run for a long time. I still haven't seen what the "moon mode" is like, even tho I placed almost empty battery inside my light wen I got it :p

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

and thanks for the compliments on the crude mod guys. warms my heart :)

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast

40 hour? fenix-store.com says "21-hour working time ( 11-hour sun mode plus 10-hour moon mode)", so it's only 11hours of good light.. but yeah, it does run for a long time. I still haven't seen what the "moon mode" is like, even tho I placed almost empty battery inside my light wen I got it :p

hmm? That's one continuous run. Turning it off and letting the battery rest gives more output. There were some tests done early on showing that it would reach 20 hours on a zinc-carbon when on-off'd, and 40 hours on an alkaline when allowed to rest. Also, I'd say it gives useful light for far more than 11 hours. Just because it'd no longer in ruler flat regulation doesn't mean it's no longer outputting light ;)

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes I have got over 30 hours of light from an E01 after letting the battery rest. I took beamshots (which I think I lost) showing the output falling before sanity got the better of me.

Anyway without having a vicks inhaler could the diffuser be trimmed down in length for convenience?

Thanks

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's a good thought, will go get another inhaler and cut it down some more. I'm thinking that you are contemplating a diffuser that is about 1/2 inch long or so?

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's a good thought, will go get another inhaler and cut it down some more. I'm thinking that you are contemplating a diffuser that is about 1/2 inch long or so?
Yep something like that, you would lose the battery holder though.

Thanks

max6166

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the tip! I just tried it out and it works great.

I am new to this stuff and don't know what is preferable in a diffuser. I was using one of those semi-clear Chapstick caps, but this longer version seems better for candlestick mode as it has more spill.

You guys would like it shorter though? Why is that? At the current length, it seems much better for illuminating out the sides...

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

*wondering if when his sinuses act up will he forget there is a AAA battery in the inhaler and snort it up his nose by mistake?*