Variabul Power Mag Mod???

AKCamper

Newly Enlightened
I recently managed to get my work to purchase a Teralux drop in LED for my 3D mag which i am very happy with( thank you to all who directed me to this drop in)
But i cant help but want something that dosn't have the annoying spot produced from the maglite reflector.

And more so i was wondering if anyone has ever heard of or knows how to build a maglite that you can vary the power with by twisting the head.
I think this would be an excellent mod.
Any info plz let me know

Cheesy

Newly Enlightened
I can think of three possible ways:
  1. Make a custom heatsink that extends down into the body with teeth cut on it that mate with a gear on a pot shaft.
  2. As above but cut a cam profile and use that to actuate a slide pot with a return spring in the same style as the stock focus mech.
  3. Again, extend the bottom of the h/s to pick up a centrally mounted pot shaft in the body.
In all cases there should be enough wire to the LED to allow a full turn of the head. You would need to find a driver solution to work with the pot. It might prove a bit interesting to assemble.

There has been a mod around here somewhere that uses a pot with an external knob.

NB: I have never actually done it and I don't have the machining capability to do it.

For more help you could ask in the homemade and modded forum.

I would think it was easier to use a D2DIM.

Kev.

AKCamper

Newly Enlightened
Wow, pretty much everyhting you said was way over my head.
So pretty much i would be best to just leave it alone to prevent my own mental meltdown? ok gotcha thnx