Just bought two Rayovac Sportsman Extremes, a 1W and a 3W and....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
....they are both the same brightness! I'm sure its probably a bin issue. The 1W has a much better tint than the 3W as well. I'm going to get two SSC-P4s from PhotonFanatic to plop in there so hopefully their will be a difference between the two then. I got one (the 3W) for a loaner light to keep other peoples mitts of my Surefires' and the other one (the 1W) I'm going to mount to my bike. They were on clearance at Walmart - $13 and $9 respectively - so I jumped on them. I'm thinking of going back and cleaning them out of them!

EugeneJohn

Newly Enlightened
....they are both the same brightness! I'm sure its probably a bin issue. The 1W has a much better tint than the 3W as well. I'm going to get two SSC-P4s from PhotonFanatic to plop in there so hopefully their will be a difference between the two then. I got one (the 3W) for a loaner light to keep other peoples mitts of my Surefires' and the other one (the 1W) I'm going to mount to my bike. They were on clearance at Walmart - $13 and $9 respectively - so I jumped on them. I'm thinking of going back and cleaning them out of them!

Hey KDOG3,

what kind of reflectors do your lights have? My 3watt is textured and 1watt smooth. The beam of the 3watt has a fairly even fade to spill, whereas the 1watt is slightly ringy. My 3watt has the better tint(the lottery at work) also the led appears to be a rebel(?). It has a similar look to the rebel in my P3DR100.

In post #33 of this thread,

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=180705&page=2

Marduke suggested it might be a low bin rebel. I'm inclined to agree. It might be worth checking out before modding. Also, the heads on my 1watts came off freely but the 3watt heads were on tight and wouldn't budge even when I gave it my all.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Great to hear you got those two lights! I was in Sears Hardware the other day and they had the 4 watt 3C Sportsman Extreme (which is the super bright CREE version), just in case you want to get that one too.:thumbsup:

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
Got mine this Sunday just past (3W for $13). Score!!! Easily the highest lumen to dollar ratio of any light I have. This after eyeballing that sucker for a year. Wheee!!