Fenix L1D Q5 or Nightcore D-10

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same price. I have the L1D Q5 and it`s great. I have a D-10 on order. Telling a friend about the D-10...and showed him the L1D. He has the E01 on his keychain...and a few other nice lights but wants to buy a brighter light like mine (ok with the price :duh2:)

In a way I hate to see him get the same things I have...no adventure. Anyway...he wanted me to order one for him. Guess I wanted to get some opinions.

To thoughs who own both...which one is your pick?

meuge

Enlightened
Same price. I have the L1D Q5 and it`s great. I have a D-10 on order. Telling a friend about the D-10...and showed him the L1D. He has the E01 on his keychain...and a few other nice lights but wants to buy a brighter light like mine (ok with the price :duh2:)

In a way I hate to see him get the same things I have...no adventure. Anyway...he wanted me to order one for him. Guess I wanted to get some opinions.

I really like my EX10, to be sure... and it's my EDC... but it still feels like the design would make it less water-resistant than the L1D. Otherwise, it's a whole other level of light.

So make sure you know what's important to you, before making the decision.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I prefer the D10. The D10 is made with better/stronger aluminum and has nice knurling instead of slippery smooth like the L1D. The D10's piston switch should be more durrable/reliable than the L1D's clickie switch. The D10 is smaller. The D10 can run on Li-ion 3.7v 14500 batteries. The D10 has a lower low. The D10 comes with a better lanyard.

I think the L1D Q5 may be a little more efficient.

Last edited:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the L1D, but I prefer the D10 because it's much smaller, the UI is better for me (I can understand the UI and get the modes easily, YMMV), the low on the D10 is much lower on the L1D, and the plastic clicky noise on the L1D is not as nice as the silent operation of the D10.

Oh yea, forgot to mention, the D10's knurling makes it much easier to hold / use, and the use of plastic water caps as a diffuser / lens protector is invaluable.

The L1D is a bit more efficient, and the UI is easier for someone to understand because it's so straight forward.

Basically the D10 is very hard to beat... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

pekcle

Newly Enlightened

Hello,

I'm fairly new to this, but if I had to choose, I would pick the L1D for him. For a "beginner" I think the weird ramping and stiffness of the piston from the D10 could cause frustration. I also like that the L1D feels a bit thicker, and probably less susceptible to damage. Since I just decided to avoid ramping and re-lubed the D10, that is my preferred light, but that's after learning how it behaves. Good luck!

cal..45

Enlightened
I have both, and the D10 wins in all aspects - hands down. still the L1D is a very good light and will stay my primary bicycle lamp (with rebel100 emitter) but for an EDC the D10 is the absolute best lamp I have layed my hands on to date - perfect size, perfect UI, perfect grip and perfect power source (AA). about brightness between L1D vs D10 (both with Q5 emitters): the fenix seems to be a bit brighter on a white wall, however white wall hunting is next to useless, compared with real world experience in the field and for that matter both lamps behave so similar (on max), that the difference is totally negligible. on "low" things are quite different, because the nitecore got a very low low and is therefore much more suitable often, when the fenix's low is still too bright.

regards, holger

lengendcpf

Enlightened

I have both, first the L1D followed by the D10.
Don't know whether you will have the same feelings as me.

Before I got the D10, I keep thinking how light and small the L1D is.
Until I got the D10, I find L1D is so much bigger than the D10.

Well, enjoy your L1D before the D10 comes..

kts

Enlightened
If you want smaller and brighter, buy a P1D Q5 or P2D Q5 :whistle:

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
If you want smaller and brighter, buy a P1D Q5 or P2D Q5 :whistle:
Buy both. I have the P1D Q4 and the D10.

I'm torn:
D10: Exquisite body construction, heavier, confusing user interface (duh, I'm 61 years old), universal AA cell

P1D Q5: Ordinary body, light, *extremely* bright, simple interface, iffy battery choice. Expensive to buy disposables, rechargeables have limited life time.

Your choice will be heavily influenced by your application and battery considerations, not by the lights themselves IMHO.

Update: If I could choose again, I'd buy the L1D Q5.

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget about the multi battery versatility of the Fenix "D" head. I have the Fenix "gift pack" that had 1AA and CR123 battery tubes and a "D Q5 head" + accessories at a good price. I bought the 2AA tube for $13 more.

The 3v setup is noticeable brighter than the D10 on Nimh. When I bought the D10 I retired the 1AA Fenix configuration and am running it as P2D (CR123) or L2D (2xAA).

Oh and some people just couldn't live without SOS, according to the CPF polls. :ohgeez:

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
two good lights. i love my d10. the ui is awesome and the piston drive is the only light i'll take on a hike without carrying a "backup" light. hows that for confidence in reliability.