Cree MC-E Images

mds82

Enlightened
So i was able to get a sample MC-E from my supplier and let me tell you, this little thing is awesome. same dimensions as the XR-E roughly but its amazingly bright. I tried to get some shots of it running all 4 dies in parallel form a 350ma power brick, but it was just so bright

I ran this at 2800ma for a while, with a large heatsink, and it looked great. Here are some pics, the board will allow you to address each led seperately

[Over-sized images removed - DM51]

Last edited by a moderator:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Cree MC-E images

Nice. What's the "+1" and "-4" on the top and bottom pads for? What size is the board?

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice. What's the "+1" and "-4" on the top and bottom pads for? What size is the board?

Dies #1 to #4, with plus sign meaning positive side and minus meaning negative side of each die for wiring would be my guess.

Looks like Cree did a heck of a lot of wiring under the dome to get the tabs to line up like they do. Which is very nice.

Hard dome?

Last edited:

TexLite

Enlightened
Thanks for the pics.

Do you have an XR-E you could lay next the MC-E and get a pic?

Maybe even a Lux-V or P7?

Trying to get an idea of die spacing,looks to be pretty tight,might not have as big of a donut problem as other multi-chip emitters.

Thanks Again,
Michael

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dies #1 to #4, with plus sign meaning positive side and minus meaning negative side of each die for wiring would be my guess.
Always thought you were a bright lad. :twothumbs (Or maybe I'm just slow this afternoon. :sigh:) That would line up with the little white-on-black plus symbol at the bottom left of the LED.

This would be the third board I've seen for them.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those bond wires looks crazy!

I am not so impressed with the reflow. Looks like too much solderpaste.

liveforphysics

Enlightened
I have 10 of the little guys comming in the mail soon! Thank you for sharing the photos! I'm very excited to see them in person.

ergotelis

Enlightened
Nice!!
Do we know anything about the beam profile?Is it the same with XR-E? Or are we going to need new reflectors?
P4 and P7 have almost the same beam profile, am i right?

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Cree saw the P7 and said "17 bond wires? WE CAN DO BETTER THAN THAT! How about 24? Suck on that, Seoul!"

mds82

Enlightened
I will try to get some comparison pictures tonight or tomorrow. its almost the same size as the XR-E, but the solder pad is much different, so you will need a new PCB

TexLite

Enlightened
I will try to get some comparison pictures tonight or tomorrow. its almost the same size as the XR-E, but the solder pad is much different, so you will need a new PCB

Thanks,I'll look forward to them.

I think Cree saw the P7 and said "17 bond wires? WE CAN DO BETTER THAN THAT! How about 24? Suck on that, Seoul!"
:crackup:
Do you think there going to cause artifacts in a reflector?

Maybe with the even distribution they won't even cause a shadow.

-Michael

Illum

Flashaholic
Over-sized photo removed - DM51

do you have a bigger pic of this, I'd like to use it as a wallpaper if you don't mind:)

If you can, ask your supplier where can I find such an aluminum base. There are MC-E emitters for sale in BST but as of yet I am unable to locate a suitable base for them.
If your supplier sells them as the sample you have received, may I inquire the cost? :thanks:

Last edited by a moderator:

WeLight

Enlightened
mcepcb.gif

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut821

Illum

Flashaholic
Not to question your actions in the moderation of this forum, but wasn't the allowed picture resolution 800x800?
I was using my 12.1" lappy set at 1024x768 at the time and the pics looked okay in size...but oh well, I wonder where the op went:ohgeez: