Aspheric lens for Magled?

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone installed an aspheric lens on a stock Magled?
I was thinking of ordering one of kai's lens and wanted to know if the improvement is worth the cost.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might as well install the KD dropin as well. The stock magLED isn't great with the lens.

jag808808

Enlightened
I agree! The KD drop in with aspherical lens is great! I use it to patrol my townhouse complex. Really gets into the dark corners. Just be aware, you may have to sand the heatsink to fit. Not all of them, but you might receive one just a hair big. I purchase two from KD, one I sanded down, the other fit like a charm! Good luck with your build. You will not be disappointed. If you are, you can send it to me! :poke:

Aloha,

jag

You might as well install the KD dropin as well. The stock magLED isn't great with the lens.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize that the aftermarket drop ins are better. I was just curious by how much does it improve the stock mag led.

Gunnerboy

Enlightened
I realize that the aftermarket drop ins are better. I was just curious by how much does it improve the stock mag led.

Yes, I've tried one of the aspherics from Surplus Shed on a 3-cell MagLED. It was pretty cool for a while. I know a Cree would be much more impressive, but not interested in trying it. I'll take an HID for throw.

Cheers,
Gary

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using an aspheric from DX with the mag led, It's ok, not brighter of course, but more focused. the trick is to get the focal length right... IMHO the mag drop-in is junk.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I digress, that it is. I believe mag could have done better and still kept the price down. As an intro to high power LEDs for the masses It's sufficient, what bothers me most is the drop in brightness due to lack of heatsinking.

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Been there done that with one of the aspherics from Surplus Shed.

Used a Cree. It is really cool but really only usable for me for just one thing......long distance spotting. With a long lasting battery setup you would be able to run it forever unlike an incan or HID solution. That said, the incan or HID solution would in my opinion be at least twice if not three times brighter minimum that any LED solution.

The only exception would be the lense out of the Subaru that one of our CPF members modded. That was really cool. My mag......OK.

I mainly use my LED M@gs for close in room or small area lighting and not spotting. That's what the HIDs are for (and they do it very, very well).

Bob E.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I digress, that it is. I believe mag could have done better and still kept the price down. As an intro to high power LEDs for the masses It's sufficient, what bothers me most is the drop in brightness due to lack of heatsinking.

Ohhhhh the MagLED.... I thought you said the KD dropin wasn't good...That's what I was disagreeing with.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just built an stock Mag 2C aspheric with a lens from KD. The focal length needed to be lengthened so I locked down the pedestal. The light worked well but it doesnt have the puch that the KD drop in has.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only exception would be the lense out of the Subaru that one of our CPF members modded. That was really cool. My mag......OK.
Thats my light your talking about. At a meet we had here in the DFW area I got to put it up against a 10W HID of similar size to the DEFT and it beat it in throw. My POB can however beat it fairly easily.