Diffuser options for the NiteCore EX10?

jbviau

Enlightened
Ok, it looks like the D10 owners are set with their Kirkland water bottle caps, etc., based on the discussion in this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201889

What about all of us poor EX10 users? The water bottle caps that I've tried so far are too small/tight due to the larger bezel. That leaves only two options that I've seen discussed:

1. the Fenix P2D diffuser (reportedly too loose unless light is tailstanding)
2. a clear film canister with a hole cut in one end

I haven't tried either. Please post your diffuser ideas/solutions/experiences here so we can have them in one place, and try to include pics!

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I have a P2D diffuser which I use on my EX10 and, you are correct, the diffuser is just slightly too large and will fall off if you turn the light upside down. But, I only tailstand the light / diffuser so it's no big deal for me... I used it this past weekend while camping and it was a big hit... until I told my friends the cost of the light itself (guess non-flashoholics find some of my lights a bit too pricey :shrug:).

That said, I know some people who apply a bit of tape or some other material to the inside of the diffuser and it fits a bit more snug. I have yet to decide whether I will use this diffuser exclusively with my EX10 / D10 or switch between my Fenix P2D / L1D so I haven't tried that solution.

Not sure if that helps you but that's my $0.02...

jbviau

Enlightened
Right, I guess putting tape inside the Fenix diffuser to make it fit the EX10 more snugly isn't ideal since the mod isn't easily reversible. You could always put the tape around the bezel of the EX10 instead.

The Fenix diffuser (https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=339) has what looks like a good design to me. Fit issues aside, does it work well on the EX10, or does it block too much light in medium and lower modes? I guess for $5 it's worth a try.

Otherwise, I still haven't given up on finding something that works amazingly well in my kitchen or bathroom cabinet. Come on, somebody's got to have the right size cap or lid hidden away in plain sight...

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a couple (one at work in the lunch room and one on the sidewalk while walking my dog) of water bottle cap that fits the EX10 but I do not know what brand they were. There are water bottle caps that fit the EX10 so keep an eye out.

EugeneJohn

Newly Enlightened
Right, I guess putting tape inside the Fenix diffuser to make it fit the EX10 more snugly isn't ideal since the mod isn't easily reversible. You could always put the tape around the bezel of the EX10 instead.

You can put a single layer of electrical tape around the outside of the EX10 bezel or the inside of the fenix diffuser. Either way the diffuser stays on securely and the electrical tape comes off easily.

If you want more temporary and easily accessible, get a bit of paper(I used the kind I run through my printer) cut a piece about 3" by 1", fold it in half lengthwise and wrap it around the bezel of the EX10 flush with the stainless bezel bit.

This will slip into the diffuser and it should fit snuggly enough not to fall off. If you need to, do a tri-fold(three paper thicknesses instead of two).

I just did this(three paper thicknesses) and waved the EX10+diffuser around with more than a bit of vigor and it didn't come flying off.

Perhaps not the most elegant mod, but most certainly DIY on the cheap.

I'd love to find that elusive water bottle cap to fit over the EX10 as I want something to smooth out the beam for close up work but be more pocketable than the fenix diffuser.

jbviau

Enlightened
I found a couple (one at work in the lunch room and one on the sidewalk while walking my dog) of water bottle cap that fits the EX10 but I do not know what brand they were.

Oddjob, any way you could figure out which brands the water bottles were? I'd be interested to know.

EugeneJohn, good to know the Fenix diffuser is working for you. If you have time, could you please post a pic of your set-up?

bullterrier

Enlightened
Oddjob, any way you could figure out which brands the water bottles were? I'd be interested to know.

EugeneJohn, good to know the Fenix diffuser is working for you. If you have time, could you please post a pic of your set-up?

+1 me to

EugeneJohn

Newly Enlightened

Ok, I borrowed my brother-in-laws digital camera and took photos but now I have to figure out how to post them here.

I'm way behind the technology curve but I'm working on it.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks.:huh:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone else find any good options for EX10 diffuser?

Here are the pros / cons of EX10 vs D10:

D10 pro: very easy to find water bottle cap diffusers for the light, which provide nice floody light and some additional protection for the thin bezel lip.

EX10 pro: SS bezel makes the light much more resistant to drops that cause it to land on its bezel lip, so it won't be as susceptible to deformations on the bezel lip like the D10.

D10 con: bezel lip is very thin so it may deform if it lands just right on the bezel lip and cause physical deformation, which may cause the O-ring to be pushed out and remove any water resistance.

EX10 con: harder to find / make a DIY diffuser?

GregWormald

Enlightened
IMO the best diffuser is to cut a circle out of the stippled portion of a thin DVD case. Leave two or three tiny 'ears' on the circle and the resulting diffuser will be a click fit into the o-ring channel above the lens/window.
It can easily be popped out with a fingernail if you want to return to a spot.
BTW most of the thin DVD cases have 2 different stippling patterns, so you can choose how diffused you want the light.
I use this technique on all my 123A lights.
Greg

jbviau

Enlightened
The little circle is a good idea. However, if it doesn't cover the entire bezel don't you get a little spillage? I want a diffuser for the EX10 because I tailstand this light on the bathroom counter when I'm showering. The EX10 is below eye level, so any non-diffused light will make it uncomfortable to look down. I know I could hang the light from something and avoid this problem, but I'd rather not. ;)

EugeneJohn

Newly Enlightened

Here is the way I got the fenix diffuser to fit snuggly onto the EX10.

00215ps7.jpg

Cut a bit of paper, in this case printer paper about 1"by3". Fold it into thirds lengthwise.

00315vv9.jpg

Wrap that paper around the bezel and hold in place as you slip the diffuser on.

00415dq3.jpg

Slide the diffuser down snuggly. In this case it stopped at the clip, but it was still very snug.

00915ts2.jpg

Ta-da. 100% reversible, if a bit on the cheesy easy side of things.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as it works... kudos.

That said, the popularity of the smart Pd lights means accessories like diffusers should be in the minds of NiteCore executives. :whistle:

EugeneJohn

Newly Enlightened
That said, the popularity of the smart Pd lights means accessories like diffusers should be in the minds of NiteCore executives. :whistle:

I agree. I'm still looking for a small, flat diffuser like the water bottle cap mod for the D10.

I want something easy to remove that will smooth out the light for close up work and won't bulk up the lovely tininess of the EX10

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Maybe I am missing something here but why not spin off the SS ring and drop a round of diffusion film on the lens and then screw back in the SS ring on top of it?

Oh I guess that would take some time to fix it back. Nevermind me!

jbviau

Enlightened
Ta-da. 100% reversible, if a bit on the cheesy easy side of things.

Thanks for the pics! It's funny that the diffuser is longer than the light. I'll bet it works better than a bottle cap diffuser though. More surface area = more glow, no?

Sgt. LED, I've never tried diffusion film. That would be an easy fix, especially if you put it on the outside of the lens. Any favorite types of film?

EugeneJohn

Newly Enlightened
Maybe I am missing something here but why not spin off the SS ring and drop a round of diffusion film on the lens and then screw back in the SS ring on top of it?

Oh I guess that would take some time to fix it back. Nevermind me!

Ooohhh... I like it!

I mainly didn't want to affix anything sticky and then try to remove it.

It wouldn't be as quick as a snap-on diffuser but I'm game to give it a try.

I'll second jbviau's question, any favorite types of film?

jbviau

Enlightened
\ Uh yeah, difusser, that's the ticket.

Know what you mean. I ordered one of these diffusers for my brother to use on his P2D last year for Christmas. Apparently there were lots of laughs when he opened the box. It was the joke of the season.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why does this EX10 have a larger section on the body where the head screws in than any others I've seen? It certainly looks different to me. :thinking:

00415dq3.jpg
00915ts2.jpg