New S-F E1B owner - questions/comments

Stainz

Enlightened
I was in my favorite gunstore earlier in the week to buy a Surefire E1B Backup - they were out! I returned yesterday - to buy a revolver I had drooled on long enough. They were unpacking a huge box of S-F red/black blister packs - including 'Backups'. I was asked, "Here's that Backup you wanted - I'll let you have it for $X, since you are buying that new revolver!". Of course I took it - such a deal. Sadly, my wife was in the store - and overheard everything.

Anyhow - neat light - warm tinted in comparison to my 6P LEDs. Close to the Fenix P2D/L1D Q5 Premium 4 in 1 kit's light color, throw, etc - on regular - Turbo is brighter. Like the build of the E1B - not crazy about the clip, but I don't see how it can be removed for pocket/pouch carry. Info on that would be appreciated. Also, that tailcap/switch replacement - Z68? - where can it be found reasonably - and what is a reasonable cost?

It's been nearly 24 hours since the purchase - I am shocked I haven't flattened the battery yet. I was going by the range last night or this AM to try out my new revolver... if I can find where I left it, thus far untouched, of course. Neat light!

Stainz

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
- not crazy about the clip, but I don't see how it can be removed for pocket/pouch carry.

Take out both the head and the tailcap and also the o-ring near the clip attachment. Put the body on a piece of wood, place another piece of wood on top of the clip and hammer it out slowly. It really does not take much effort.

And BTW enjoy your new Backup. :thumbsup:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
... to try out my new revolver... if I can find where I left it, thus far untouched, of course. Neat light!

The E1B made you forget about the revolver? Wow! you could have saved some real money if you bought the E1B at regular price. Enjoy!

superflytnt

Enlightened
I was in my favorite gunstore earlier in the week to buy a Surefire E1B Backup - they were out! I returned yesterday - to buy a revolver I had drooled on long enough. They were unpacking a huge box of S-F red/black blister packs - including 'Backups'. I was asked, "Here's that Backup you wanted - I'll let you have it for $X, since you are buying that new revolver!". Of course I took it - such a deal. Sadly, my wife was in the store - and overheard everything.

Anyhow - neat light - warm tinted in comparison to my 6P LEDs. Close to the Fenix P2D/L1D Q5 Premium 4 in 1 kit's light color, throw, etc - on regular - Turbo is brighter. Like the build of the E1B - not crazy about the clip, but I don't see how it can be removed for pocket/pouch carry. Info on that would be appreciated. Also, that tailcap/switch replacement - Z68? - where can it be found reasonably - and what is a reasonable cost?

It's been nearly 24 hours since the purchase - I am shocked I haven't flattened the battery yet. I was going by the range last night or this AM to try out my new revolver... if I can find where I left it, thus far untouched, of course. Neat light!

Stainz

Wait! Before you remove the clip just try it out clipped into your pocket for a couple of days. It really does work brilliantly clipped into a pocket!

Either way, it's a great light and is my EDC..................glad that you like yours :)

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what they should have done to it. Makes it one hell of a nicer light IMHO. That is the best clip that SF has ever come out with. It works nicely clipped down in the pocket, or reverse clipped on a ball cap for headlamp style. I love that clip and would not remove it. I have EDC'd this light for over 6 months now. It's my favorite Pocket Rocket. BTW....it's putting out 200 lumen through that beautiful SF TIR optic...:cool:

Milky E1B Transformer
Transformer.jpg

Last edited:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hola 'migo. I always smile when I see you here. :) The tailcap you're asking about is the Z68. It is similar to the picture above, but isn't scalloped. If you want the scalloped version, you will have to pick it up somewhere like CPFM because I'm pretty sure SureFire won't sell that separately. The Z68 is pretty easy to find, though. Brightguy, Opticsplanet and many other vendors have it for sale. It's actually an accessory part from the Scoutlight weapon light.

Stainz

Enlightened
I found my new revolver - used the Backup to see the innards as I changed the springs and lubed my new bang bang - while watching Auburn playing on the tube. I then went to the club's range for some blasting tests, took eye& ear protection, but forgot my reading glasses. New gun was fun - but getting out of the locked gate at the range was difficult. The sun was low in my eyes - and I couldn't see the combination lock's numbers on the tumblers... until I recalled I had clipped that Backup to my belt - voila - instant bright light - I undid the lock and escaped - didn't have to call my wife to come let me out!

Yeah, about having more fun with that Backup - she noticed that, too - and picked up on the 'Why didn't we just get it?" question herself - last night!

The clip stays - not so sure about the tail cap. Neato light.

Stainz (AU '75)

PS Auburn won - War Eagle!

PPS - Surefire lists the E1B Backup at $149 - I thought it was $110! What gives?? Boy, I did get a deal.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
... PPS - Surefire lists the E1B Backup at $149 - I thought it was $110! What gives?? Boy, I did get a deal.
You have not heard of the SF Price Increases that went into effect Sept 1st? Sadly I think the E1B is now way over priced... you did very well.