Pila, Surefire or Wolf-eyes

Peter1976

Newly Enlightened
I've been searching for a good tactical flashlight. So far I've been looking mostly for Surefire: But yesterday I accidenly ended up on Pila and Wolf-eyes homepages.
There flashlights seems to have more power than the surefire and just about the same run time consuming tha same amount of batteries. The also say that they have rechargeable batteries for surefire.
I thínk this sounds great, but I never heard of them before.
Do you guys think that they are for real, or is it just bogus?
Does anyone have any personal experience of them?
Why have I never heard of them, when they seem to have really great products?

http://www.wolf-eyes.com

http://www.pilatorch.com

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have lights from each company
Wolf Eyes factory just delivered a replacement lamp for my M90 today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif. Wargamer the retailer for Wolf Eyes has zero customer service, the factory sent the replacement since Wargamer stinks. I think Wolf Eyes (copia) needs to get on the stick concerning the retailer following the after sales service guidlines set up by the factory. PILA has been great to deal with, they will add or subtract items from the order as you need . I have a charger so when I got other lights they where able to drop them from the package and sell for a little less.

I've been very pleased with the quality of the products as well as the perfomance.

I like the lights a lot. The lamp assembly's are not as nicely made as the Surefire but the quality of light is equally as good in most cases.

Size15's

Flashaholic
What do you need a "tactical flashlight" for?
If you do not train to use illumination tools in a "tactical" situation you can do more harm than good.

I suggest you find out about good low-light/no-light training courses and contact them regarding which "tactical flashlight" is good in their experience.

From what I've heard, the SureFire Z2 (6Z) is used by many because of it's ergonomics and track-record.

Al

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a "tactical" light almost every night. I have had extensive training. Tactical is also a way over used word

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
madecov said:
I use a "tactical" light almost every night. I have had extensive training. Tactical is also a way over used word

[/ QUOTE ]

Madecov,

I think he was referring to Peter.

BN

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
perhaps a surefire Z2/C2/Z3/C3 would work best together with one of pila's rechargeable conversion kits for the 6P or 9P.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The conversion kit for the 6v lights has a burn time of about 40 minutes. I use it in the G2z, works great.

Peter1976

Newly Enlightened
Well I need a tactical flashlight cause I work as a police officer. I just wanted to know if the PILA or the Wolf eyes products worked as good as they say, 80-130 lumens of light that works just as long as 65 lumens in a Surefire.

Peter1976

Newly Enlightened
Some of you guys use the Pilas rechargeable conversaion kit with surefire. Is that because you already had a surefire before?
What suggestions would you give to me. Buy a Pila or a Surefire, and why?

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The quality of light is very good in the SF using the PILA battery and lamp. The brightness is only slightly more than the standard SF Lamp. The run time of 40 minutes is reduced versus DL123's but of course you recharge the battery over and over so for high use it may pay.

If you want a reachargeable for duty use I like the GL4R with clickie cap. It runs 80 minutes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif at about 135 lumens. It works for me on night shift.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
peter: you might want to listen to madecov instead of the rest of us rabid flashaholics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ewick

Enlightened
I can tell you right now, DO NOT GO WITH WOLF-EYES THROUGH WARGAMECLUB IN HONG KONG. I'm in the middle of an attempt-to-return-defective-flashlight nightmare. Do whatever it takes to avoid WarGameClub AT ALL COST.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, I returned a lamp assembly to wargamer as it was defective. They stopped responding to e mail and never sent the replacement. Wolf Eyes factory direct did send a replacement. If you decide to get any of these I would say go with PILA

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I talked with Wargamer this afternoon, they're very evasive on problems that ewick and madecov raised. This is really bad.

alan

Peter1976

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the help. I will stay away from Wargamer. I've been in contact with another wolf-eye supplier
www.ph-import.com
They seem to have good service.
Madecov you seem to have a lot of experience of SF, Pila and wolf-eyes. The SF flashlights are mostly around 65 lumens and Pilas have 80 lumens. Can you tell the different between the 65 and the 80 lumens, is it notable?

And a last question. Would you go for the 80 lumens Pila or the 130 lumen if you are using it mostly for other police work than traffic stops, like searching through buildings, scan the nearby terrain for suspects etc?

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 80 lumens is slightly brighter than the P60 from SF. The biggest difference is the large surround that the PILA lamp provides. It at least 40% wider than a SF. The surround is brighter and gives a more useable light in the edges.
I like as much light as possible for building clearance, it means I'm less likely to miss something so I prefer the using either the M90/GL4R or if I think I might need a weapon I use my G2Z in the SF combat meathod. The 80 lumens is very useable for building clearance.