Spartanian II vs. Novatac 120P

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
Hey all, recently I was able to get my hands on a prototype Spartanian II:D:grin2::poke:

I've been carrying it around for a couple days now so I figured I would post my thoughts on the light, and also how it compares to my 120p.

The Build:
The machining on this light is excellent, you would be hard pressed to find any faults on the exterior.
Compared to the 120p, the knurling has a little more grip to it, it feels like the Knurled metal is slightly more raised than the novatac, however not too aggressive for pocket carry, it feels just about perfect!
Up front, the SII is sealed with two O-rings, one on each side of the lens, very secure. The "bezel" is removable without the use of special tools, very easy to do. Hopefully we will see more bezels offered as accessories later on.
In hand, the SII just feels good:naughty: It's design is similar to the 120p with the recessed section for extra grip, however it is a bit thicker at the head, it feels like you have more to hold on to.
My only concerns about the build are the "Ring" section and the tail cap. The ring on mine feels a bit loose, the only worry I have is what would happen if I drop it in water, is that section waterproof? Also the spring in mine scratches up the battery pretty bad, however I believe in the production version they use a smooth plate to cover up the end of the spring:twothumbs

UI:
The UI on the SII is simple and intuitive, turn left for momentary(up to 5sec. then light stays on) and right for constant on, for a programmable light it doesn't get any simpler than that.
To set the levels for either of the two modes, you turn the control ring, right to increase brightness and left to decrease. Then unscrew the tailcap, level set, however if you don't unscrew the tailcap the SII will remember the last setting.
The UI, compared to the 120p is very simplistic, but limiting at the same time. The SII has two modes whereas the 120p has four, and many other options. From there its just a personal choice, do you want the simplistic UI of the SII, or the less limiting but more complex UI of the 120p?
For me, the light takes a long time to shut off, but that is just my personal opinion.

Output:
You can find all the LUX readings and runtime charts from those that have reviewed it before me, so I won't talk about those.
As for the beam, the reflector I have does a really good job at concentrating the hotspot, however the beam is completely different from the 120p beam.
That is where the SII shines:kiss:
The SII has the option of two reflectors, one for throw and one for flood, where the 120p is a flood only type beam. I only have the throw reflector, but with it the SII can reach things the 120P could only dream about reaching. I can't wait to try out the flood reflector for the SII

Overall the SII is a fantastic light, It could hold its own up against the 120p, it just depends if the UI is right for you. It feels close to the same weight as the novatac, and if you are used to carrying the 120p in your pocket, the extra size of the SII likely won't bother you much.

Feel free to ask any questions, or have any suggestions, or requests!

Heres a few picture to enjoy, of my "Zebras":twothumbs

Thanks for looking!

BMF

Enlightened
Nice review. I've got both lights myself and I believe you are right on target.

Karl

Wow, they shipped them already or just prototypes?

04orgZx6r,

You're lucky to have Zebra color, they don't make it now and may be not making it at all, just black & olive.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comparison to the 120P. (my favorite light) Cannot wait to receive my SII. Nice to hear it has more throw, kind of the reason I ordered one.:thumbsup:

P.S. Nice Zebra 120P by the way:)

Last edited:

neoseikan

Enlightened
Thanks!
About the tail-spring.
Now, the batteries are safe.
tailspring.jpg

tailspring2.jpg

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you knew somebody was going to ask..... but I'd really like to see some beamshot comparisons between the two lights. Thanks for the nice comparison review.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a great light .... I wonder if they will bring out different size battery tubes like they did with the HDS :naughty: