Thrower that recharges by plug-in or cradle

Kuderna

Newly Enlightened
I need suggestions for a light for my elderly uncle to use to check on things on "the farm" at night. I'd like it to be:

* < $50
* Cree
* Good throw
* Recharge by plug-in or sitting in a charger
* Sturdy
* Simple to use

I did search the forums, but couldn't find anything.

(I asked a few days ago, but since I had the word "sp*tlight" in the title, my question was moved to the "Sp*tlight/H*D" section.)

Thanks!

Luke

Yapo

Enlightened
I think it would be hard to find a "Recharge by plug-in or sitting in a charger" cree light for under $50. As it is generally fairly good quality lights that would ever come with that kind of charger and the charger itself would probably set the price back at least $25 which wouldnt leave all that much for the light itself.

Although i could be wrong...

I think the easiest and safest option would be to get some AA/AAA eneloops and a smart charger for a light separately

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does not exist... Cradle charging and under $50 isn't going to happen. Pelican 7060 is a cradle charging cree with good throw. If you want a dedicated thrower you're not going to find a good quality one under $50 either unless you do a kai domain aspheric kit in a M@g.

toolpig1

Enlightened
Does not exist... Cradle charging and under $50 isn't going to happen. Pelican 7060 is a cradle charging cree with good throw. If you want a dedicated thrower you're not going to find a good quality one under $50 either unless you do a kai domain aspheric kit in a M@g.

Maybe it does exist:
http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=414299

Granted, it's not the quality level of Pelican 7060 (which I have), but it fills the order. There have been a number of previous threads about this light, I would suggest an "advanced" search using the word "Dorcy" and specifying "Titles Only".

I've seen this light at my local Sears Hardware, and for $50, it caught my eye. Also, he asked for plug-in or cradle charging, and this comes with both home and vehicle charging cords (plug-in).

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Dorcy might work.

The large reflector should give a good amount of throw but I head the battery has a pretty small capacity so runtime might be short.

Kuderna

Newly Enlightened
You're good! Thanks, I'll check this out.

Luke

Maybe it does exist:
http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=414299

Granted, it's not the quality level of Pelican 7060 (which I have), but it fills the order. There have been a number of previous threads about this light, I would suggest an "advanced" search using the word "Dorcy" and specifying "Titles Only".

I've seen this light at my local Sears Hardware, and for $50, it caught my eye. Also, he asked for plug-in or cradle charging, and this comes with both home and vehicle charging cords (plug-in).

Kuderna

Newly Enlightened
I'll check the Pelican prices, thanks.

(minutes later...)

Ouch. That's going to be well over $100. I know that's nothing for true flashaholics, but my uncle certainly isn't one, and I'm not *that* generous. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/images/smilies/redface.gif

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Luke

Last edited:

z96Cobra

Enlightened
Does not exist... Cradle charging and under $50 isn't going to happen...

It DOES exist, and the Dorcy is the one I was thinking of too. And if you live near a Sears, you can drive there and pick one up. I can't remember if it was $39.99 or $49.99 though. Its been talked about/reviewed on here recently too.

Roger

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
That dorcy is using a 700mAh NiCd battery pack...

The 220 lumens 2 hours runtme claim is pure
213i8h.jpg

Perhaps I should have specified that a quality flashlight with a cradle charger isn't going to happen for ~$50.

Kuderna

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I wouldn't touch that one. That is pathetic. He would be way better off giving up on the idea of a built in battery.

I think for my uncle, ease of use will trump long battery life. He has big old arthritic working hands that would make it hard to remove, recharge, and replace batteries.

Can anyone comment on how easy the Dorcy is to recharge? Is it a small DC plug that goes in a little hole on the light?

Thanks,

Luke

paulr

Flashaholic
You don't mention compact in the requirements list and given the application, it doesn't sound important. So, I suggest the good old Banana Vector incandescent spotlight, for around $25 at Costco. It is basically a car headlamp powered by a small lead-acid gel cell with a plug-in charger. With 500 or so output lumens and a 6 inch reflector, it will outthrow any LED light by a wide margin. The downside is that it weighs a couple pounds and has maybe 15 minutes of runtime on a charge, but perhaps that is ok for your uncle's needs. It certainly has nice large controls, nothing small or fiddly about it.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think for my uncle, ease of use will trump long battery life. He has big old arthritic working hands that would make it hard to remove, recharge, and replace batteries.

Can anyone comment on how easy the Dorcy is to recharge? Is it a small DC plug that goes in a little hole on the light?

Thanks,

Luke
Sorry about your uncle. If he doesn't need it to run for very long that may be the best choice. The side clicky would be easy for him to operate as well. I wonder how good of a thrower it really is though.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't mention compact in the requirements list and given the application, it doesn't sound important. So, I suggest the good old Banana Vector incandescent spotlight, for around $25 at Costco. It is basically a car headlamp powered by a small lead-acid gel cell with a plug-in charger. With 500 or so output lumens and a 6 inch reflector, it will outthrow any LED light by a wide margin. The downside is that it weighs a couple pounds and has maybe 15 minutes of runtime on a charge, but perhaps that is ok for your uncle's needs. It certainly has nice large controls, nothing small or fiddly about it.
He did say Cree based and easy to use. I have one of those yellow Vectors and it is too easy to ruin the batteries by leaving it on the charger. It is also relatively heavy as you say and with the weight of the light being high up could be difficult for him to hold.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Inova T4 is a thrower which recharges in a nice cradle system. But you're too cheap if your are not willing to pay more than 50 USD on such system. They just don't exist for less...

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the old version, though ... in my experience, disappointing.
It's the 2007 version (K2 + reflector instead of Lux III + TIROS). it's not disappointing at all, especially for mere 50 bucks. It's a great li-ion rechargeable light that's built like a tank and it is made in the USA. For 50 USD, it's a steal!:thumbsup:

Kuderna

Newly Enlightened
He did say Cree based and easy to use. I have one of those yellow Vectors and it is too easy to ruin the batteries by leaving it on the charger. It is also relatively heavy as you say and with the weight of the light being high up could be difficult for him to hold.

Thanks for the tip about the charger and it being awkward to hold. Sounds like that isn't the best option.

Luke