In a hurry seeking help, two last weeks before the army

mikochoco

Newly Enlightened
Hello folks,

Till yesterday i had no clue mag lite was over; i bought a mag lite 3 D and later an upgrade terralux 5 w ....
I am now looking for a good flashlight
fenix P3D Q5 (turbo mode should last 10minutes to avoid damage)

Jetbeam JET III pro ST (Does the turbo mode is unlimited?)

these two models interest me becuz there is differents modes but no Infra Red with jetbeam...what a pity

My needs:
-Flashlight with differents modes (light, normal, turbo, sos, strombo etc..)
-Red filter compatibility
-Above 215 lumens

**********FOR MAGLITE EXPERT*********
How to upgrade my maglite 3D to make something way more powerful than 5w Terralux.... if someone can sell me an upgrade by ebay :twothumbs 700 lumens and more.... and it s serious, am ready to bid!

Thanks
regards,

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic

mikochoco

Newly Enlightened
thank you for the links

I noticed the Fenix PD30 which is similar than P3D Q5 but it doesn t say if turbo mode shoudl last 10minutes no more.... :shrug:

About the kroma it looks interesting but a little expensive:eek:...

thanks for support

Last edited:

mikochoco

Newly Enlightened
Hi Sergent

I need above 200 lumens, red filter, differents mode (strombo, normal, turbo, sos etc..) what do you recommend me?

Ah!!!!!!! i just noticed your quote after my post, if it is up to date i should go for it ....

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Contratulations on being accepted into the Army. Good luck and thanks for what you are about to do.

I'm hesitant to advise someone to delay purchase of lights, but it might be a good thing to do. You'll have a much better idea of your actual needs after basic and advanced training. There's a strong possibility your lights might not be very welcome in BCT.

We'll be here when you need us.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
YES follow the parts list in my sig line and you will be well prepared. Malkoff devices M60 is brightest and the M60L is nice but below your lumen requirement.

Remember your DS's grandmother can do everything better and faster than you. She is a god among mortals. Now say "Drill Sgt!" at the beggining and end of aything you ever say to him. Oh and your platoon will probably have 3 of them to yell at you, 2 male 1 female.

BIG IRON is quite right, don't take the good stuff to Basic or AIT. Even if they let you have it, which they won't, it would get stolen in training.
You come home and get it after that or have the folks ship it to you.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Are you going to have access to 123 batteries? If not you might want to look at a good AA light.Fenix L2d or the new TK20 would be my choice.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Turbo mode should not be turned on for more then 10 minutes if you:
- try to light something up in the middle of a desert
- have hands that don't conduct heat
- live in a oven
- have the light in a thick insulation coat pocket
- anywhere where the heat can collect a build up.

As long as you are holding the light, there is air going by the light, or the light has a way of conduction away heat, than use turbo mode as long as you want.

Turbo mode lasts longer for 10 minutes. It doesn't draw that much current.

For Maglites, Check This Thread.

You might also want a simple AA light in case you somehow run out of CR123s.

I think I'm with Bigiron with this one. Get the light later after you know what you need.

:welcome:

mikochoco

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all i ll come back to get news, it s the best forum on the subject that i know.

My maglite will be tuned :twothumbs

thanks all

popcornpicker

Newly Enlightened
For basic training, I think they want you empty-handed. After your training gets more specialized, you might want different gear. Cooks and mechanics have different upgrades. Best Wishes.