l2p head on l1p

staghater

Newly Enlightened
Hello.
I put fenix l2p v2.0 head on l1p body.
It works great with alkaline but with eneloop battery i have only low mode???
Batteries are fully charged, cause when i bought them i was charging them like 12 hours or so.
So please what is the problem?
I would like to stick with eneloops cause i am green guy and the winter is coming so nimh is the way to go.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
IIRC the L1P and L2P (V2.0 and non V2.0 models have different circuits. The L2P circuit requires a higher voltage to work so it only has low with 1 NiMh AA battery.

gunga

Flashaholic
I think you would have to remove the anodizing on the threads on the head end of the L1P body. That allows 2 modes. I would think you only have high mode tho.

If you only have low, then your L1P body is not long enough. Try putting a paper clip ring in the head to bridge the gap between the circuit and the top of your L1P body. Make sure the ring only contacts the outside of the circuit and does not short to anything in the middle.

I'm doing this on an L1T and CR123 body for L2P.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The L1T and L2T have the same circuit, so they work well with 1 AA and 2 AA batteries. The L1P and L2P have different circuits. The L1P head should not be run with 2 AAs or a CR123 and the L2P doesn't work too well with 1 AA.

gunga

Flashaholic
I've read quite a few reviews and graphs. While the L1P does not really run well (could blow) on 2AA or CR123, I've read that the L2P head is MORE efficient and actually better on 1 AA than the L1P.

Check Chevrofreak for runtime graphs...

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I haven't see that thread before. Now that I have, it seems like the L2P on 1 cell is actually better then the L1P in output and runtime. Fenix should have used the L2P circuit on both the L1P and L2P.

staghater

Newly Enlightened
I haven't see that thread before. Now that I have, it seems like the L2P on 1 cell is actually better then the L1P in output and runtime. Fenix should have used the L2P circuit on both the L1P and L2P.

That was the main reason i get l1p body and easier carrying of course.
On alkaline works beautiful and low is really low...and i like that...too bad it wont work on nimh :(
Thank you for replies gents.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a bit odd. I have an L2P v2.0 and an L1P body tube. I've used the L2P v2 head on the L1P body with a lithium primary (L91) and got both high and low. Perhaps the slightly higher voltage of the L91 was the factor. I never ran it much in that mode, preferring the 2xAA configuration for that light, so perhaps I would have lost the high level in short order.

I have Eneloops now, and will try it in my "L1P v2" and see how it works.