Upgrade 6P to M2 Centurion-LED?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Looking to make a noticeable improvement from my 6P. The M2 centurion has caught my eye. I like the shock/impact resistant head, and as clutzy as I am I think it will prove to be a worthy investment. I recently dropped my 6P, dented the bezel and chipped the pyrex window... so in CPF spirit its time to upgrade ;)

1- Is the M2 a good host for LED drop ins?
2- Will the additional shock absorbing materials in the head trap heat and cook the LED? (compared to the 6P)
3- This is a big investment for me:broke:, what general comments can you offer?.. any pros/cons I should be aware of with the M2?
4- Does anyone think the M2 performs better in stock form as an incandescent host?
5- Finally... Should I go for the cheaper C2 instead? I can get a C2+M60 for the same price as the M2.

Thanks in advance!!;)... all comments welcome!!

Last edited:

cl0123

Enlightened
Go for it!

M2 gives you the extra option to run incandescent bulbs with "some" shock absorbing protection. No light is fully shock-proof.

Otherwise, an M60 or an LED module really does not have a filament nor a glass bulb to worry about. I think a C2 (and the 6P, but you are not too happy with it) is also a good host for LED.

BTW, C2 and M2 shares the same or very similar body tube.

With Aloha,

Clarence

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
You won't get as good a heatsinking path in the big ol' M2 head.
You may get heat damage to the LED.

GET THE C2, or my personal favorite, the C3!

Last edited:

knightrider

Enlightened
The C2 is a better led host. I had a M2 and tried the P60L in it. The flood is cutoff slightly with a P60L in a M2. I personally think the M2 is an overkill for a led host. I love my C2 HA with P60L installed. Very sturdy, near bulletproof light.

The weak point to me about P60 sized led modules and standard incan bulbs is the spring. I have had spring problems in the past with both led modules and incan bulbs.

coyote223

Newly Enlightened
Only thing I can answer for you is. Yes, I have a Malkoff M60 in my M2. Fits and works fine. I can't say anything about heat issues, I hav'nt carried it much yet. :oops:

cfromc

Enlightened
For incan an M2 is great. For LED I would go with a 6P or C2 since the shock-isolation system is not really needed for the LED and there may be heat issues. Also, the C2/6P head is smaller and much easier for carry than something with the M2 sized head. I have 2 6Ps with the P60L and one C3 with it (along with 3 G2s). For my incan I use an M2 head on a C3 body but I don't carry it due to the size.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Looking to make a noticeable improvement from my 6P. The M2 centurion has caught my eye. I like the shock/impact resistant head, and as clutzy as I am I think it will prove to be a worthy investment. I recently dropped my 6P, dented the bezel and chipped the pyrex window... so in CPF spirit its time to upgrade ;)

1- Is the M2 a good host for LED drop ins?
2- Will the additional shock absorbing materials in the head trap heat and cook the LED? (compared to the 6P)
3- This is a big investment for me:broke:, what general comments can you offer?.. any pros/cons I should be aware of with the M2?
4- Does anyone think the M2 performs better in stock form as an incandescent host?
5- Finally... Should I go for the cheaper C2 instead? I can get a C2+M60 for the same price as the M2.

Thanks in advance!!;)... all comments welcome!!

1 - No.
2 - Won't fry the LED, but heat build-up will be an issue.
3 - The head will be thicker than on your 6P. The thicker head is why I went with a C2 for my first Surefire, instead of the M2.
4 - Yes.
5 - I'd definitely recommend the C2 w/ M60 drop-in. I have such a set-up, and it is SWEET! :twothumbs

kramer5150

Flashaholic
OK thanks for the feedback fellas!! So far I am not hearing anyone JUMPING out and saying "Oh my gawd... don't even think about it!!"... as far as LEDs go :thumbsup:

Sounds like the M2 is what I am looking for. FWIW, I am going to DIY my own module for it. Something with a ~150 mah low mode. I actually prefer running lower output lights, in the ~60L ballpark. So heat build up should be less of a concern than with a single mode lumen-scorcher.

A malkoff M60LL is on the want list:D

I also will be using it as an incan too. So preferred usage would be:
1- Xenon incan
2- low current LED
3- low current LED, with periodic high current use

thanks!!... and keep the comments coming. I tend to swap modules in and out of my lights a smy moods change. But this ones primarily going to be used stock as a Xenon host.

**edit**
courious... could I for the heck of it use a 6P or solarforce bezel on the M2 body?:duck::aaa:

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
NO
No 6P bezel on M2 body, the M2 body will be too big around.

Yeah I'm totally wrong about the above statement.

Last edited:

nzgunnie

Enlightened
NO
No 6P bezel on M2 body, the M2 body will be too big around.

You sure about that?

The Z44 head will fit on an M2 body. After all, the C2 is a differently labelled M2 body with the Z44-HA. It wont however fit on an M3 body, which has much larger dia front end.