Tekna Mono-Lith LED Upgrade

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I'm considering transitioning a Mono-Lith from incan to LED with this L-222 from TEKTITE, and would like some feedback about the idea before I spend money on it.

1696298921995.png

Anyone tried this yet? How good was it? Worth it? Any advice would be appreciated.

ETA: Also considering the LS233, 60 lumen LED.

Last edited:

sgt253

Enlightened
I dont have first hand knowledge of the TekTite led 222 bulb conversion, I did convert mine from 222 incandescent to a 222 led advertised at 60 lumens. The led that I have used does not appear to be 60 lumens, but I still like the mod. It still is a modest light but very usable. I can post you some beam shots to compare and contrast incand vs. led in the light for a general reference if you'd like.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont have first hand knowledge of the TekTite led 222 bulb conversion, I did convert mine from 222 incandescent to a 222 led advertised at 60 lumens. The led that I have used does not appear to be 60 lumens, but I still like the mod. It still is a modest light but very usable. I can post you some beam shots to compare and contrast incand vs. led in the light for a general reference if you'd like.
Sure! Post away! :)(y)

Budda

Enlightened
I'm not fond of these mods, for these reasons:
1) the beam is not the one you used to have with the original bulb, because the DIE of the LED and the filament have a different shape and position
2) the LED has no possibility of heat dissipation
3) there is no regulation
4) the bulb costs often more than a new flashlight (with greater beam, optimised reflector, levels and regulation).

I still have some old incan lights, and i keep them like that.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not fond of these mods, for these reasons:
1) the beam is not the one you used to have with the original bulb, because the DIE of the LED and the filament have a different shape and position
2) the LED has no possibility of heat dissipation
3) there is no regulation
4) the bulb costs often more than a new flashlight (with greater beam, optimised reflector, levels and regulation).

I still have some old incan lights, and i keep them like that.
Yes, that is all true. However, there are some benefits:

1. Extended runtime

2. Increased bulb life

3. Savings due to 1 and 2

So, due to both the pros and cons, I'm undecided. Thanks for your input, gave me things to think about. :) (y)

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the beam shot pics! Wow, big difference! Hmmm, I just don't know...there are pros and cons...of course, if I get the LED, I don't HAVE to put it in, but then I would have the OPTION. Options are good. Hmmmm... :unsure:

Budda

Enlightened
Yes, that is all true. However, there are some benefits:

1. Extended runtime

2. Increased bulb life

3. Savings due to 1 and 2

you are comparing an INCAN light to a LED module conversion, and in that comparison you do stand correct.
However, if you consider that with a little more money you can purchase a modern LED light that offers you so many more benefits, like the ones mentioned above, and significantly increased max power.
We are always talking about the 20-30$ range, where you can get yourself an Olight Penlight (either a 2xaaa or 1xaaa light).

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
you are comparing an INCAN light to a LED module conversion, and in that comparison you do stand correct.
However, if you consider that with a little more money you can purchase a modern LED light that offers you so many more benefits, like the ones mentioned above, and significantly increased max power.
We are always talking about the 20-30$ range, where you can get yourself an Olight Penlight (either a 2xaaa or 1xaaa light).
Thank you for putting the cost into perspective for me. You have made up my mind, I will leave it OEM. However, be advised, I will not purchase PRC products. The PRC is my enemy.

Budda

Enlightened
Thank you for putting the cost into perspective for me. You have made up my mind, I will leave it OEM. However, be advised, I will not purchase PRC products. The PRC is my enemy.
It is your money and you are free to spend it or not spend it however you please.
However consider that if you were to apply that statement in a very stringent matter, rest assured that LEDs, circuitry and 99% of electronic components are ONLY manufactured there.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is your money and you are free to spend it or not spend it however you please.
However consider that if you were to apply that statement in a very stringent matter, rest assured that LEDs, circuitry and 99% of electronic components are ONLY manufactured there.
I can't win the war by myself-I can only do so much by myself. The free world needs to unite, and boycott as much communist made goods as possible. As it is, most don't even recognize the threat, or if they do, simply choose to ignore it. I have eyes to see, and ears to hear, and I know who my enemy is.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to be a pragmatist when it comes to updating or modding older lights. If there's something newer that does it better or the same for less I'll always take that route, if it's a light I'm gonna actually use. Old lights aren't usually ideal for it and sooner or later something will break you can't replace. On the other hand, I totally get the appeal if the goal of the project is a challenge rather than practicality.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
The communists are no threat and only maintained security in Europe from WWII onwards. They really aren't so bad. I feel comfortable buying from SRoV for example but I don't care for PR China goods because they tarnished their rep with poor quality. That said Fenix, Nitecore, and Reylight are homegrown Chinese brands and everyone likes them.

I buy American a lot, the quality is good and the labourers earn a fair wage. I think telling companies like Niteize why you buy from their competitor is better than posting on here about how you feel about reds.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I tend to be a pragmatist when it comes to updating or modding older lights. If there's something newer that does it better or the same for less I'll always take that route, if it's a light I'm gonna actually use. Old lights aren't usually ideal for it and sooner or later something will break you can't replace. On the other hand, I totally get the appeal if the goal of the project is a challenge rather than practicality.
Kinda like adding halogen bulbs to an old 1967 mini cooper car. No huge irreversable change to an automobile that gets driven only on occasion. But at times when it gets driven the headlights are a little better.