Rant at myself!!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Last night while digging through the drink fridge in the garage I dropped my beloved Inova X1-V2:mecry: on the hard concrete. It was just as you all describe... like in slow-motion. I watched every twist and turn as it tumbled to its doom. SMACK!! landed flat on its side and :poof::candle:... no more light.

I've dropped all my other lights multiple times, and it never really bothered me much because they are all readily replace-able. So this ones different:mecry:, being that the V2 is out of production.

I guess its time to get an RMA from Inova. Hopefully I can learn to like the V3 as much as the V2.

Note to X1 and X5 owners... they are slippery little buggers, use the wrist lanyard:eek:.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought inova's were meant to be about as tough as you can get??? Sucks that it broke :(

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to replace it, try the Fry's in Fremont (680 & Auto Mall Parkway).

You may have to dig through the racks, but last time I was there (June, maybe), they still had all three generations of X1.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
OK thanks... Fremont is 40 minutes from me and I am frequently there for business.

Yeah its about 2-3 weeks old and was really growing on me as one of my favs. It feels really tough and has some heft, but apparently the light engine is not isolated very well from the chassis, or perhaps Mine had a weak solder joint that just needed a good smack to knock it loose.

I have been very open in my praise for its durability on CPF. I have read other comments about the spring-piston mechanics failing under drop-impact. So.. at least from my experience it may not be quite as durable as I thought.

:sigh:

pfccypret

Newly Enlightened
I only own one Inova (the X-5). I have dropped it repeatedly and have never had an issue.

Though your report is disturbing, I've been looking into getting an Inova T4....

Mdinana

Enlightened
I thought inova's were meant to be about as tough as you can get??? Sucks that it broke :(

Supposedly. But I've never been impressed with them. I gave one to my dad for the car a few years ago, before I knew about CPF. I feel pretty guilty nowadays.

Then again, maybe I should dig it up and toss in something I prefer. Then sell the Inova :whistle:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Do not send it in!
The V3 really sucks, Inova ruined the X1. A little bit brighter and way way less runtime.
Freeze pop it and just resolder whatever came loose.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing that you don't believe the spring-piston is the problem? If the spring-piston is stuck I am sure I read of a possible quick fix here in the past.
It still may be worthwhile to look at Target for a replacement.I saw a V2 X1 as recently as a month ago at my local store.INOVAs don't seem to sell very well there unless they are on clearance.They still have two TIROS XO3s along with some of the new X-series lights.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK most of the X-1 problems were with the tail. There are some threads about the common problems and fixes for the tail. You might try that if you feel lucky - searching can be frustrating.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
My X1 v2 died temporarily from a drop on carpet no less. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the spring piston, it works fine but only one one or two brands of batteries (with slightly narrower/taller contacts). Try a rayovac max alkaline and see if it doesn't light up.

roymail

Enlightened
I dropped my loaded Glock once but I've never dropped any light. The Glock didn't break or even blink. Sorry about your lose, Kramer! :eek:

Order one of the new Fenix lights or the NiteCore D20 (to help relieve your sorrow, of course). :)

kramer5150

Flashaholic
My X1 v2 died temporarily from a drop on carpet no less. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the spring piston, it works fine but only one one or two brands of batteries (with slightly narrower/taller contacts). Try a rayovac max alkaline and see if it doesn't light up.

I'll try that... thanks all for the tips!!
If that doesn't work I think I'll try the freeze-pop thing. Theres no way the V3 is going to appeal to me since I already have a ~35 Lumen, 1AA light that runs for ~3 hours. So an exchange from Inova would be pointless.

:eek:

Illum

Flashaholic
X5s are completely potted with epoxy, hence they are shockproof, bezel is waterproof, and so far the best clustered LED light I have ever used...it just doesn't break, and a vampire on those cells

the X1s...aren't...so they are more vulnerable to "traumatic brain injury" :shakehead
heres a pic of the disassembly, notice theres no presence of potting on the driverboard?

REFERENCE: Pic rehosted from https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/52043

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep us informed on how the warranty goes. :huh:

I have used INOVAs warranty in the past and received a replacement light in two weeks time.The downside of INOVAs warranty is that you end up essentially paying for the shipping both ways.It's worth it for more expensive lights but not the X1 IMO,especially when your going to get the V3 that you don't want.If the light was purchased new and is only 2-3 weeks old you may be able to get a refund/replacement from the place where it was purchased.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Just did the freeze pop thing and it worked just as described. I busted the glass window though, but I was expecting that to happen. Anyone else into Nitro RC cars?... its just like rebuilding the piston/cylinder, although the fit is really tight.

dscn0541li1.jpg

dscn0542vb5.jpg

I can see how my unit failed. The only point of electrical contact between the DC-DC board and body is through the circular ground pad on the PCB at the base of the emitter. Theres no spring, solder junction, or anything beyond physical pressure to ensure the ground path. In my case the drop caused the reflector to separate from the ground-pad and the circuit opened. The reflector grasps firmly onto the LED and there is not enough spring force to push the two components back together to create the ground contact.

dscn0535db9.jpg

Good ground contact, DC-DC to reflector...
dscn0537fj4.jpg

Poor ground contact, gap between DC-DC board and reflector...
dscn0539uo3.jpg

While I was at it, I inspected the DC-DC circuit for cracked solder joints and found none:thumbsup: Everything is SMT and their FAB-house did a VERY good job with their component placement and solder process. The only through hole component is the LED, I can't tell how much solder penetration there is, but it looks sufficient at least on the tail side of the board.

Does anyone know where I can get a Nichia-GS emitter?... preferably in white.

thanks!!
:thumbsup:

Last edited: