Mag Mods

krazy89

Enlightened
Hey Admins... if this is in the wrong section... please feel free to move it to the right one...

I got a 2D mag lite that i want to mod... and just wondering... if it's better to do a 3 or 4 SSC ... or just do a P7 mod??!?!

the price... is pretty much about the same... give or take a few bucks...

anyone out there with both mods shed some light.... which is better thrower? how's the beam profiles?? does a single P7 have a better profile?

Any info would be great.

Thanks.

KraZy

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
P7 definately is the easiest. One KD D lithium or AW C lithium cell, D2Dim if you want to vary intensity and definatley the WF reflector from KD or DX. Sputtered reflectors do not throw that well.
You can direct drive.
Very easy mod for a whole lot of gerneral use light.
All multi die lights are floody, Multiple reflectors achieve the same patterns at the P7 but can out throw the P7. The Rominsen 4X cree light out thew P7 in Smooth Mag, Sputtered Mag, WF reflector and the MTE P7 but the when both were in range the P7 had more light in the beam.
Multi LED lights usually need a driver.
Multi LED takes some skill to align. on the sinks.
2D light
UCL or coated optics from the Asian suppliers
WF reflector
Good sink
D lithium Cell
Battery spacer
Pretty much it for an on/off P7.
Later today I will post on building a 7X Q5 LED, read that for the work involved.
I will edit this with the link then and you can compare to building an elaborate P7 which was still easier
1.5 D P7, Modes, Charging Jack, Electronic GID & more
7-XRE Q5 Cree, 1600 lumen Scene Flood Light-DIY

Last edited:

krazy89

Enlightened
hey northern...

thanks for the info... most of those are in my ingredients list... but... i don't know if i'm gonna do a 8xAA->2D config... or just use 2xC lion... but i guess either one would be ok...

i'm probably gonna just grab the $7 KD P7 board... i think it's 5 modes... that should be great for it... ONE QUESTION: will the stock mag push button work??? stock button pretty much is a reverse clicky... isn't it?

gonna probably grab a D P7 H22A HAIII heatsink... P7 emitter (d).... was thinking of getting a UCL... don't know if i'm gonna grab a reflector or just cut the cam off the stock... (it's not going to melt.. will it?)

Thanks for your input and infomation.... this is gonna be my first P7 build... hope i don't screw it up too badly... :)

KraZy

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
MG-Get the reflector! The OEM smooth has horrible donouts and artifacts. Sputter it and you loose 1/3 the luminous. I cannot believe it but some mods are sold new with a sputtered reflector for a pretty penny. I will sell mine, coming up soon, with all three reflectors.
Spend that money and not complete it with the most important thing, reflector, after all we are looking not at the piece but the light put our really.
Mag switch will work. Cut the tower off for the D and take it off for the C. Many tutorials buried for that.
the 2.8 board is good. Direct drive gets more light out as it usually gets 3.0-to 3.2 Amps out. You then can control modes the best for that is the D2Dim but that is out of stock until mid Oct.