Info on Pila

Peter1976

Newly Enlightened
I've just decided to buy a Pila flashlight. After been reading about the Pila I have some doubts concering their tactical button. It seems that it's very hard to now when you go from momentary to constant on. I have heard people say that they really didnt notice when they pushed it far enough to go from momentary to constant light.
This might not concern most people, but in my line of work, as a police officer, you can't really afford to do that mistake. I don't wanna end up in a crucial situation and the damn flashliht won't go off cause I accidently pushed it to constant on.
The first thing that happens when you get your adrenalin working is that you lose control of you finer motions. That makes it even harder to know when you go to always on.

Do any of you know if you can buy another clickie for the G2R or G3R, with more feel?
I know that on Pila GL models (with the LED) you must rotate the bezel to put it on constant light. I might need to buy a more expensive GL model and order an extra clicke and use that instead of the LED. But that doesn't seem to be a good option, cause I don't need the LED.

You might suggest that I should buy another flashlight than Pila, but I really like that they have a wider spread on the beam. Very useful.

And a last question, how do you Pila owners experience the ligth output, after you used it for awhile. For example, if you use the Pila G2R with 80 lumen/50 minutes. How bright is the light after you used it for 20-30 minutes. Is it still 80 lumen you think, or is it more like after 10 minutes 70 lumen, 20 minutes 60 lumen, and when you used it 40 minutes it's just about 20-30 lumen.
I know it's hard to answer in exact lumens, but do you experience the flashlight to drop brightness after you been running it for awhile?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing about the Li-Ion rechargeable batterie is that it has a very flat dischage curve. This means the light stays almost the same color and brightness for the entire run and then it just cuts out.
I ran my GL4/M90 the fist night it was received for the entire 80 minutes in 10 minute intervals. It maintained virtually the same light level the entire time and only got slightly dimmer towards the last 20 minutes or so. The dimming was almost negligable. The light did just "cut out" when batterie power dropped a to level that would not sufficiently power the lamp.

The clickie "tactical" switches have no bezel style function on them . I have not had a problem using mine. It has enough resitance between the momantary and constant function that I can pretty well tell when it changes operation. I have no knowledge of if another nodel of switch will fit but I would doubt it very much.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with madecov. The Li-Ion's flat discharge profile is good enough for me I won't be buying that surefire A2. The beauty is that you can top off anytime (topping off is preferred for Li-Ion instead of fully running them down). Li-Ion is the way to go. Just wished Surefire designed lamps that run off the Li-Ion voltage. I doubt they'll do since that would kill off any reason to have the A2.

CM

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 9 volt SF models will work using Li-Ion batteries. PILA has a set designed just for the SF lights.