"Best" single AAA light? Bright, long-ish run time...

DualMonitors

Newly Enlightened
hi all:

i'm hoping to narrow down to a single AAA light that is basically the "best" over all, bright, long-ish run time, well made, tiny flashlight.

already have a single AA, so to have one that's even smaller is good.

i prefer some levels: don't usually find lights that are merely on/off that useful.

thx!

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened
I really like my LiteFlux LF2X. Beautiful white beam, 2 levels, programmable. And it will take 10440 Li-Ion batteries for twice the brightness.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too will push the LOD, but if you want some other options:
-The Fenix E01, not as bright but cheap and great runtime.
-LF2X programmable very bright, not as efficient circuitry, but from what I hear still a really awesome light. Oh, I think its a bit bigger than the E01 and the LOD.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
+3 on the LOD. I already have an E01 but am probably gonna get an L0D for the simple fact that it makes the AAA light so much more versatile. The E01's sole weakness IMHO is that it does not have a brighter mode. Runtimes for the E01 are fantastic and its waterproof too.

brunt_sp

Enlightened
+ 4 for the L0D. I understand a new re-vamped version is in the pipeline. Does anyone know when it's due out / details / clickey tailcap perhaps ?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
+ 5 for an L0D, but I prefer the L0D RB80, which I just started carrying recently because although it's not quite as bright as the Q4, it has a much nicer tint and smoother beam without the Cree rings.

DualMonitors

Newly Enlightened
thx for the replies.

may i ask how the L0D Q4 would compare versus the
[FONT=arial, helvetica]LumaPower Avenger?

it's confusing since the LumaPower Avenger doesn't really say what the real output is as it is dependent on the battery (i.e. this battery will give this output/runtime, etc). With the L0D Q4, it is a bit more clear: ~75 Lumens on high.

[/FONT]

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
thx for the replies.

may i ask how the L0D Q4 would compare versus the
[FONT=arial, helvetica]LumaPower Avenger?

it's confusing since the LumaPower Avenger doesn't really say what the real output is as it is dependent on the battery (i.e. this battery will give this output/runtime, etc). With the L0D Q4, it is a bit more clear: ~75 Lumens on high.

[/FONT]
Hmmmm, I've had an Avenger on my key ring since they first came out. I have mixed feelings about this little light.

I originally bought it because I'm a fan of highly versatile lights (which is why the NovaTac 120P is my favorite and most used light), and the Avenger promised the option of either being a twisty OR a clicky, with 2 levels and the ability to use pretty much any AAA sized battery.

The reality was that all of this versatility came at a price and many folks had problems with getting the wide variety of AAA cells available to work correctly with the light. For most it required using a set of tweezers to change out a tiny metal post in the clicky tailpiece for a longer one. A tedious and silly thing to have deal with on such an expensive little light.

Mine works fine with either a Duracell alkaline AAA, a Sanyo Eneloop NiMh AAA or an AW 14500 AAA lithium-ion AAA. It's beam profile is almost as nice as my NovaTac's (bright central spot with a smooth gradation into the bright side spill)... and using the lithium-ion cell is just about 75 lumens ....... quite lovely for such a small light.

However, the head is a bit wobbly. Also, I'm using it as a twisty and it doesn't always come on the first time..... I often have to back it off and re-twist it several times (yes, I've cleaned the threads).

So, when it does work it's a brilliant little light, however I don't find it nearly reliable enough to recommend. If I had it to do over again I would opt for the Fenix LOD Q4. I'm VERY interested to see what Fenix has up their sleeves for the newest version and at this point would recommend that you wait a bit to see what they come out with.

BTW, I think the new Mako looks quite interesting also.

Happy hunting!

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
thx for the replies.

may i ask how the L0D Q4 would compare versus the [FONT=arial, helvetica]LumaPower Avenger?[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]it's confusing since the LumaPower Avenger doesn't really say what the real output is as it is dependent on the battery (i.e. this battery will give this output/runtime, etc). With the L0D Q4, it is a bit more clear: ~75 Lumens on high.[/FONT]

The Lumapower Avenger is much larger than the LOD and is a two level light instead of multi-level.My LOD(P4 CREE) is brighter than my Avenger(Rebel 100) using Energizer lithiums.I am sure the the Q4 LOD will be noticably brighter.I do like the Avenger with its' tail switch installed but the LOD is smaller and offers more bang for the buck.The larger size of the Avenger and the clickie switch make it easier to use.It is easy to switch modes on the Avenger,I think it is one of the best UIs I have encountered.Switching modes on the LOD can be annoying sometimes.
Build quality on my Avenger is very good but others have encountered problems from what I have read here.The build quality of the LOD is also very good.The Avenger has a better tint than the LOD IMO,more nuetral with less blue.I have not used 3.7V rechargable AAAs so I cannot comment on thier performance but there is an informative review on the Avenger by member Ernsanada IIRC.

DualMonitors

Newly Enlightened
Hmmmm, I've had an Avenger on my key ring since they first came out. I have mixed feelings about this little light.

I originally bought it because I'm a fan of highly versatile lights (which is why the NovaTac 120P is my favorite and most used light), and the Avenger promised the option of either being a twisty OR a clicky, with 2 levels and the ability to use pretty much any AAA sized battery.

The reality was that all of this versatility came at a price and many folks had problems with getting the wide variety of AAA cells available to work correctly with the light. For most it required using a set of tweezers to change out a tiny metal post in the clicky tailpiece for a longer one. A tedious and silly thing to have deal with on such an expensive little light.

Mine works fine with either a Duracell alkaline AAA, a Sanyo Eneloop NiMh AAA or an AW 14500 AAA lithium-ion AAA. It's beam profile is almost as nice as my NovaTac's (bright central spot with a smooth gradation into the bright side spill)... and using the lithium-ion cell is just about 75 lumens ....... quite lovely for such a small light.

However, the head is a bit wobbly. Also, I'm using it as a twisty and it doesn't always come on the first time..... I often have to back it off and re-twist it several times (yes, I've cleaned the threads).

So, when it does work it's a brilliant little light, however I don't find it nearly reliable enough to recommend. If I had it to do over again I would opt for the Fenix LOD Q4. I'm VERY interested to see what Fenix has up their sleeves for the newest version and at this point would recommend that you wait a bit to see what they come out with.

BTW, I think the new Mako looks quite interesting also.

Happy hunting!
====================================

I'm getting more and more curious about either the:

L0D Q4 or the Mako (though i have no idea of the Mako's approx. delivery date or the runtime/lumens)

BTW, does anyone really know that the L0D Q4 is really being updated? i've been told repeatedly that it will NOT be updated in the near term. if anyone has actual knowledge that the Fenix L0D Q4 is really being updated not long from now, i'd most appreciate knowing about it.

it seems like a practical item with the 3 levels, no-nonsense tiny single AAA light.

fyi, my other lights are:

NiteCore D10GDP
Zebralight H50Q5
HDS Clicky (coming soon)
Covert Photon Freedom Micro
Wolf Eyes 6A P7 (so very bright!)

so i thought that a single AAA would be a nice mix in that!