Tactical Pistol Light/Laser

Fat Boy

Enlightened
I currently own the Insight Tech M6X Tactical Laser Illuminator by Insight Technologies http://www.insightlights.com/products-m6x.htm but I need another one and have been looking around and found the TLR-2® with Laser Sight http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=81 which looks very simular. Does anyone have experience with both of these Light/Laser to make a good comparision? I currently am very happy with the Insight Tech unit and will stay with it unless someone has a better recommendation.

As a second part of this question does anyone know if the Insight Tech unit can be modified to push out more lumens? Thanks for any help.
http://www.insightlights.com/images/toppic-m6x.jpg
opticsplanet_2020_12352223

Last edited by a moderator:

Till

Newly Enlightened
I tried out the TLR-1 (same light, except without laser) at a gunshop a few months back.

Wasn't impressed with the Luxeon LED.

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
I personally prefer having laser grips or integral guide rod laser (on 1911) have tried the laser grips and like them so far, too poor for the guiderod laser, use seperate devices that way if your light dies you still have a laser and if your laser dies you still have a light but if its one piece then you could be stuck without any shooting aids at all

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keeping in mind that the laser is an aiming aid, and the flashlight a search/identify aid. The failure of either (or both) should not be a huge deal to a well trained individual who will have night sights and a handheld flashlight.

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
That is what I mean, most people that I know that have a weapon light dont carry a normal torch as well. Also most "training" done here in America is a hour long speach about how to shoot and then they (the department) expect their officers to shoot perfectly....I know of at least one incident when an officer fired everyround they had on them at a suspect and only one shot hit him....was something like 30 or more rounds that went off to god knows where and not its intended subject

Last edited:

83Venture

Enlightened
You may also want to consider a Laserlyte.com or Lasermax.com laser rail attachment. They are small, flat lasers that attach to the firearm and have a rail built in so you can attach a rail mountable light to it. This way you don't have to buy a single light/laser unit.

If you like you can have either a light or a laser or both with independent power sources. It's nice to have options. :)

Fat Boy

Enlightened
Are you familiar with the SF X400?
No I hadnt seen this, thanks it looks worth closer inspection. Are you familar with it at all? Anybody? And do you know where I can get this cheaper the price is a bit exhorbitant.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
No I hadnt seen this, thanks it looks worth closer inspection. Are you familar with it at all?

It isn't available yet but with any luck we'll see them next year.

I have the M6X on a Glock 20 and the TRL-2 on a Benelli Super 90. The M6X throws a little bit further but the TRL-2 has a smoother more uniform beam. I suppose there is greater inherent reliability in the TRL-2 because it's LED but the M6X has never failed either. It even has the original bulb. If you're not in any hurry the X400 should be one very nice combo. If you don't feel like waiting the TRL-2 is a solid light that I think you'll be pleased with.

Fat Boy

Enlightened
I've also had no problems with my M6X.

Another question, are these light illegal under the new laser laws?

Rattlebars

Newly Enlightened
I have a XD Sub-Compact which has a 1" Picatinny rail so I was restricted on what I could mount. Could not afford the Lasermax Guide Rod Laser but even that would leave me little room to mount a truly good tac light. My solution can be seen in this post > CLICK HERE <.

The Guide Rod Laser may be a solution for you. It's on my wish list.... waiting to win the lotto. :grin2: