uh oh. Jetbeam with a burn mark...

phil000

Newly Enlightened
I have a Jetbeam Mk I IBS, and have been using 14500s with it, I had one before this but it got lost at my last job and I set it up to be IDENTICAL.

A=lowest
B=highest
C=strobe

well, something hasn't looked right about it for a couple days now, just not as earth scorching bright on high that it used to be...so I just casually looked into the emitter today (off) and noticed a brown burn mark ON the LED itself...:thumbsdow

has this happened to anyone else/any idea how to fix it?

Thanks,
Phil

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Sounds like a fried LED; When powered by a li-ion cell and on the highest output levels, the IBS interface on the Jet can easily drive the LED and the battery far harder than they were ever designed for. You should have noticed that after only a minute or so at max output, the light becomes scalding hot, which seriously abuses both the LED and battery - I'd wager you'd only be able to leave it on for a few minutes before it would totally destroy the battery, and prolonged use at max output would certainly be enough to damage the LED.

Always monitor your flashlight's body temperature with your hand, too hot for you is too hot for your light. And with flashlights that can overdrive components, never use the max output longer than you have to. If you need a long-term/pragmatic high output level on your Jet, shoot for only 75-80% brightness on the brightness ramp.

phil000

Newly Enlightened
I know that these have heat issues, but I swear this thing was ALWAYS heatsinked in my hand when I used it. Also I never used high for longer than maybe a minute...and that's quite unlikely for it to be that high.

phil000

Newly Enlightened
...AND it's not blue...that's the part that's messing with me...

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It might just be some sort of defect with the LED or its heatsinking, if you can explain the same story to the retailer you bought it from, then you have a good shot at getting it exchanged.