• Rarely - please explain

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • Never

Votes: 48 50.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Bonky

Banned
Do you notice the PWM flashing of Fenix lights (specifically the L0D ;) ), which have a slower frequency than many? If you only use your flashlight in a mode that does not regulate the brightness via PWM (ie you always use it on turbo) then please disregard the question.

I'm interested in buying an L0D but not if the PWM distracts me. Please note the question is "do you notice it" not "are you distracted by it." To me, 'noticing it' = 'being distracted by it' :mecry:

thx

PS: Assume that the question means "do you notice it DURING NORMAL USE" .. not when you're waving it around in a darkened room just to see the PWM. :)

PPS: And please make sure that your light, in fact, uses PWM :devil:

Last edited:

optodoofus

Newly Enlightened
I can't even see the PWM when looking for it. I must have slow eyes.

optodoofus

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
I maybe should/could/would change my answer now that I've thought about it(and reread your caveat of "during normal use").

I "see" it when I swing the light on it's lanyard, while lit, really, really, fast:whistle:...

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an L0D that I carry frequently, and when I catch sight of the beam on the default, or low levels can see the PWM. It is more visible from the side than when it is pointed away from me.

DimWatted

Newly Enlightened
In dark environments, if I wear it clipped to my ball cap or hold the light in my mouth, it is noticeable. Outside of that I don't notice it much. When I first got it, I thought it was going to bug the crap out of me. I definitely prefer non-PWM, but even when I notice the effect from my L0D, it's not irritating enough that I would avoid buying the light again if I lost mine.

JWP_EE

Enlightened
I like using my flashlights. Since my L0D is my newest light I now carry it around at night instead of my E01.

I got it about a month ago and I run it on low about 3 hours every night. I use it instead of turning on light in the rooms when I walk around. Since I use it a lot I do see the strobe effect of the PWM.

I don't usually notice it until the light shines on something in motion. Like a water stream. My dog is always wagging his tail and this shows up the PWM very well.

I have a MP3 player and I can see the display flicker when I shine the light on it.

I will some times see the effect if I am moving my arm as I walk by something.

BTW: I shone the light into a LED connected to an ocilloscope to measure the PWM. The PWM is very close to 100Hz and the duty cycle on low 12.5% and 35% on medium.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I always notice it, but it's particularly evident when it's raining or drizzling (which it often does in Nova Scotia). It's also noticeable if you scan the light rapidly over a nearby surface. Given the obvious benefits of this light (small, very bright), I can easily tolerate it, though.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If just noticing = bothering, then don't bother with this light.

I can't imagine not noticing it, but I'm among those who aren't bothered by it.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
PPS: And please make sure that your light, in fact, uses PWM :devil:
You might want to qualify in your title that you are referring solely to the L0D, as this this is the only PWM-based Fenix light. Otherwise, I suspect you will be getting a lot of "false negatives" from those using current-controlled Fenixes. ;) PWM is also not present on max on the L0D, of course.

I found the 100Hz PWM to be both noticeable and occasionally distracting on the L0D, which is why I switched to carrying the higher-freq Jet-µ (300Hz).

HKJ

Flashaholic
I mostly uses my L0D for seeing something stationary and do not see the pwm there.

But I can always force the pwm to be visible, either by swinging the light or by pointing it a something rotating or moving. Depending on the speed, the pwm will be more or less visible.

Bonky

Banned
You might want to qualify in your title that you are referring solely to the L0D, as this this is the only PWM-based Fenix light. Otherwise, I suspect you will be getting a lot of "false negatives" from those using current-controlled Fenixes. ;) PWM is also not present on max on the L0D, of course.

I had a feeling about that, but wasn't sure that only the L0D used it. :sssh:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't notice the PWM in my LOD but I have only used it on stationary objects and never in the rain.Hanging around here I have come to believe that some individuals are much more sensative to PWM than others.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only when I point it at moving objects like fan blades.

I do not notice anything with my L1P, Civictor, L1Tv2.0, L0Pse high, L0Dce high as there is no PWM being used.

Art

Enlightened
Some times on low probably when the AAA are a bit worn out or when Im with my fone filming something you can see it flash.

BTW here is a video of it "flashing"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM7Zdn7l0z8

Right is the Asia made led and left the USA made led... probably the PWM is also diferent.

Its a Q4 L0D.

Regards,

Marduke

Flashaholic
Some times on low probably when the AAA are a bit worn out or when Im with my fone filming something you can see it flash.

BTW here is a video of it "flashing"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM7Zdn7l0z8

Right is the Asia made led and left the USA made led... probably the PWM is also diferent.

Its a Q4 L0D.

Regards,

It just looks like the PWM is not in sync between the two, simply because they were not turned on at precisely at the same time.

Bonky

Banned
well it seems that the PWM on the right in that vid isn't in sync with the shutter, and since the one on the left is, it would appear that the one on the right has some sort of variable pwm rate rather than the shutter itself being screwy.

Art

Enlightened
Marduke: Dont think thats the problem...I can turn it off and on again and the Asia leds will flash more rapidly then the USA led... also tested with new alkalines and charged nimh.. always the same.
My point is that they are diferent and in the Asia led seems to be easier to see the PWM as the USA led is smother.

Regards,

Marduke

Flashaholic
Marduke: Dont think thats the problem...I can turn it off and on again and the Asia leds will flash more rapidly then the USA led... also tested with new alkalines and charged nimh.. always the same.
My point is that they are diferent and in the Asia led seems to be easier to see the PWM as the USA led is smother.

Regards,

Like we've been trying to say, the LED's are physically identical, and have no affect whatsoever on the PWM used. It only takes a VERY small change in the PWM frequency to make a difference in a camera.