How can I tell if my new Streamlight TLR-1 has the C4 LED?

SIG

Newly Enlightened
All,
I seek your input on this: I just received a new Streamlight TLR-1 that is supposed to have the "C4" 135 lumen LED. The box says it has up to 80 lumens and I don't know if it is old packaging or if I was sent the wrong light.

Is there any way I can verify if it has the newer, brighter LED?
Does anyone have one and if so, does the box say up to 135 lumens vs 80 lumens?
My unit has a S/N, so I can contact Streamlight as well to verify.

Powering up the unit, it is not as bright (or white) as my Surefire X300 or E2DL, so I am concerned I got swindled by the seller (or they made an honest mistake), or if this is how bright the "C4" lamp is...

Any tips?

SIG

Newly Enlightened
Great! Thanks!!

I've never posted a pic before, so I hope this works:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Well I hate to say it but it looks like the same Luxeon of the older series.

However I would wait for a few others to agree with me before filing a PP dispute.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
from the picture, i can't be sure as the pill is rather small. maybe a pic of the packaging would be better?:shrug:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the square package and pair of leads on each side, I'd say that's a K2.

SF's website states 110L and 120L for the X300 and E2DL, respectively. You shouldn't see any difference between those and your "C4" (I really wish they'd just call it the K2 TFFC, which is what it is) TLR-1. By "bright," do you mean total light output (ceiling bounce, lightbox, etc.) or a more intense center spot? If it's the latter, that's not what the lumen unit measures.

If your TLR-1 outputs significantly less overall light than either your X300 or your E2DL, then there might indeed be a problem, although that pic really looks like a K2 to me.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
OOps see I Was WRONG.

I looked at the black plastic square the LED is sitting on closer and it is a K2.

:eek: I have one in a light on my nightstand.

Gryloc

Enlightened
SiG,

So if it is the new "C4" LED, does that mean it uses the TFFC K2, or some Cree emitter? I recently got the 3AA TaskLight "C4" flashlight from BrightGuy (since my very first manufactured luxeon flashlight back in the day was the classic 3AA TaskLight), but that flashlight features a Cree XR-E! I was expecting a TFFC K2.

Well, if the "C4" LED emitter is actually the TFFC K2, then you can be the judge since you have the light in your hands and you can look at the emitter closely. Look at the following link. The first picture compares a top view of the classic K2 on the left, and the new TFFC K2 on the right:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/171365

What you are looking for to determine that it is the TFFC K2 is the cheese-like die (a 4 x 4 grid of little dark spots). If the die is silky smooth and uniform, than it is the old generation K2 emitter. Besides that, it is very difficult to tell the difference aside from a brightness comparison. If you have an TFFC Rebel flashlights, look at the die on that emitter. The TFFC K2 and TFFC Rebels share the same die.

If the "C4" emitter is supposed to be a Cree XR-E, then look for an emitter that looks like the first pic on this link:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/172379
BTW, in the above link, the third picture from the top shows a nice comparison between the TFFC K2 (left), TFFC Rebel (bottom), and the XR-E (right).

Good luck, and thanks again evan9162 for the nice evaluations!

-Tony

Last edited:

niceguymr

Newly Enlightened
I am having the same issue as the original poster. I just received mine from Botach. The box has all the markings of the older series (ie. 3 Watt Luxeon, 80 Lumen). The only interesting thing is that the serial number begins with "C4-XXXXXX". I'm wondering if Streamlight simply hasn't upgraded their packaging.

Here is a picture of mine. My photography-fu stinks. I know it's out of focus. It's the best I could do (for now)

DSC05124.jpg

SIG

Newly Enlightened
All,
I emailed Streamlight my serial number and they promptly replied that the new TLR-1 units with the C4/newer LED has a "C4" prefix in the serial number.

My unit did not have this. It has an "A" prefix and I contacted my seller. They agreed to refund me my money and send me a return shipping label.

I took a closer look at my emitter and it does not have the pattern as shown in the threads above, so it is not a K2.

Thanks to all for their input and knowledge!

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
niceguymr, that looks like a K2 as well.

SIG, I'm still pretty sure you have a K2 in there. The square package and double leads are very distinctive.

The question is whether you see the little pattern of dots Gryloc described. It's almost as if SL was "updating" their LuxIII lights with old-style K2s, which I was not aware of their having done.

SIG

Newly Enlightened
Ah, thanks for clarifying. I don't have the dots as described above.

Marduke

Flashaholic
For the sake of anyone (myself included) who comes to this thread and doesn't know what a K2 bulb is or how it compares to the C4, can somebody please explain that?

It's the last generation of LED's. The current generation is twice as bright on the same amount of power

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
Correct me if I'm wrong, but C4 does not refer to any manufacturer's LED emitter. It is a proprietary technological claim by Streamlight -- not a certain emitter. There seems to be some confusion about this.

ETA:

c4%20symbol.gif
Streamlight proudly introduces a powerful new LED that is so intensely bright, it rivals - and in some cases exceeds - the brightness of many incandescent lights. So now you can offer your customers the long life and extended runtimes of an LED without sacrificing brightness. The new Streamlight LED deliver all the advantages that have made LED lights so popular ... plus the intense brightness that was only available with an incandescent bulb.
C4 Could Be The LED Technology That Changes Everything
The new technology that has enabled Streamlight to create LED flashlights that are about three times brighter than traditional LED lights is made possible by a combination of a new diode chip and Streamlight's innovative use of reflectors to magnify, direct, and intensify the light beam.

The name "C4" stands for "Controlled Collapse Chip Connection." But all that's important for you and your customers to know is that C4 technology means you get a light that's about three times brighter than other LEDs, with an intense beam that pierces the darkness, along with all the usual benefits of LEDs.

Last edited: