Looking for equivalent to Surefire L4

Agent_Jaws

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm new to posting here but I've visited a few times and am sure you guys can help me with a dilema.

I have a few flashlights myself and my favorite of them is the Surefire L4 LED. I am looking for something similar to that for my wife but I have read some amazing things about the Cree LED lights. Since I don't own any other high-end flashlights and don't have access to a lot of different types to see for myself, I am turning to you guys for some help. Basically this is what I really like about the L4:

1) Bullet-proof construction
2) Really bright (rated by surefire @ 100 lumens)
3) Clicky tailcap, not just a momentary push-button

I am looking for something equivalent to that without breaking the bank as much. I have seen the reviews that the Fenix lights have been getting and of those I was considering the TK20 or TK10 but I don't know how they compare to the Surefire L4. If anyone owns one of those and could compare it to the L4 or other Surefire LED lights I would appreciate your insight. I have put together a tentative list of what I am considering:

Fenix TK20
Fenix TK10
Surefire G2L
Surefire 6PL

That's all I have so far but I really want to get her something with the clicky tailcap since it's just much more convenient, at least IMO. I'm very much open to other suggestions for around the same size and price if they compare well to the L4, preferably keeping cost under $90. Also, I'm open to anything in CR123 or AA battery sizes but might lean more towards AA for her since it'll be easier for her to keep track of her battery supplies since she's not as savvy on tac gear. I am involved with gov contracting so I tend to be pretty rough on my lights so I'd like to stick to things that will be reliable and pretty bomb-proof.

Thank you guys in advance for any help.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What beam pattern are you looking for?

Floody like the L4 or more throw?

The Fenix T series lights should be pretty reliable. They also seem to be on the spot with the out the front lumen rating(MrGman tested the TK10 or T1 to be around the stated output).

The G2L and 6PL have the P60L drop-in instead of the P60 incan module, that is the only/main difference between the L and non L 6P and G2/G3 lights. The G2L/G3L might have a metal head to help with the heat dissipation of the LED module. You could get any P60 accepting light and add a P60 type drop-in.

All of the lights you mentioned have a narrower beam then the L4.

:welcome:

Agent_Jaws

Newly Enlightened
Hmm good questions, I'll try to answer as best I can. I think we're looking for bright and floody like the L4. We went out night hiking and people were trying to look around inside a cave with their lights, but I was basically able to light the whole thing up with my L4. I don't think throw is as important as how much stuff it lights up within ~50 feet, my wife is more concerned about finding snakes up close than finding moose in the distance.

I have a 6P with the incandescent bulb and she definitely likes the floody beam of the L4 better. I haven't gotten to check out the LED bulb for the 6P yet so I wasn't sure how well it stacked up. Do you know how well the LED drop-ins for the P60 compare to the L4? I just realized that there are some Cree drop-ins for it that are fairly inexpensive.

Do you know of any other similar lights that would have a flood pattern comparable to the L4? I'm very much open to options and still new to the high-end light business.

GreySave

Enlightened
The L4 is all flood. If flood is what you want the closest I have found is the Colemen Exponent 123A lights in one or two cell configurations. Same wall of light. Actually, it's output is a bit wider than the L4, so it is not quite as bright appearing due to the output being spread around more.

It's fairly cheap and also offers a low setting as well as as red low and high. The red output is more throw than flood however. This is also a reverse clicky. No momentary. Body is much wider than the L4 and it is incredibly grippy.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The novatac has a beam which is very similar to the KL4 head.
Why not just get a KL4 and put on the body of your choice?
Bargain prices on L4 and or KL4 can be found at times on the CPF market place site.
Definatly have a look at the Novatac. It is a fine light good price and will give years of service.
Yaesumofo

tekguy

Newly Enlightened
IMHO the 2008 inova t1 is a direct replacement for the l4 for under 60 $ and it runs on 2 123's for 4 hours at 100 lumens.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The novatac has a beam which is very similar to the KL4 head.
Why not just get a KL4 and put on the body of your choice?
Bargain prices on L4 and or KL4 can be found at times on the CPF market place site.
Definatly have a look at the Novatac. It is a fine light good price and will give years of service.
Yaesumofo

+1 on the Novatac.

The beam on my 120E is the closest I have ever seen to the L4 that I owned. And it meets the 3 things that you like best about the L4. Plus, it's smaller.:grin2:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have put together a tentative list of what I am considering:

Fenix TK20
Fenix TK10
Surefire G2L
Surefire 6PL
The TK10 doesn't have as wide a beam as the L4, but I doubt you'd be disappointed by it. It's much brighter and still plenty floody.

The two Surefires you list do not have clicky tail caps. You can purchase a clicky separately, or opt for the 6PDL, which does have a clicky.

Other to consider:
- 2008 Inova T1
- AmiLite Neo T5

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Most of the P60 drop-ins have a narrower beam then the L4. The Malkoff M60F and M60LF both have a pretty wide beam doe to the optic.

The Amilight T5 is a pretty floody light. Not as floody as the L4 though but 1 CR123 and still has a pretty wide beam.

The Fenix P and L series of lights have a narrower beam then the L4, maybe except for the L0Ds but those are also dimmer(what can you expect for a single AAA?)

Agent_Jaws

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses guys, couple of things tho. First, I am not looking to repair/replace my L4, just to pick up something similar to mine for my significant other. My L4 is running beautifully and I have no problems with it. Second, pricing out a KL4 head costs about as much as buying another L4, so if I were going to do that I may as well just get another one. Also, some of the options are coming close to that price anyway, and if I have the choice of getting another L4 or going with a brand I haven't tried for the same price, I'll probably stick with Surefire.

Thing is, I was hoping to find something comparable or at least approaching the L4 in terms of flood output and brightness without spending $140 on a new light. My wife isn't the gear whore that I am and so isn't as critical about a lot of things. I just want to get her something that will dump out a ton of light and be rugged enough to last through camping trips and what not. I was mainly considering the Fenix lights and those particular Surefires because I'm finding them all for around $60-$80, which I think is reasonable for her. Basically I'm looking for the whole package to wind up under $80, so while I appreciate the suggestions I can't really do much with options that cost more than that.

Toaster

Enlightened
Surefire L4 is rather old tech. Any of the Fenix 2AA, 1xCR123, 2xCR123 lights containing a Cree XR-E will blow it away in terms of light output. The T series tactical lights are the most ruggedly built and have a simple interface for easy, straightforward operation. I wouldn't get too hung up on having pure flood as I find throw especially useful outdoors, and a thrower would compliment your L4. As is all of the Fenix lights still have decent flood so you wouldn't be dealing with a pencil thin beam by any means. The following post has some beamshot and size comparisons of various Fenix lights which might help you make your decision: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2613801&postcount=30

Summarizing the key points:
Fenix TK11 - Smooth reflector, best throw, can use rechargeable 18650 Li-Ons as well as CR123s
Fenix TK10 - Orange peel reflector, same amount of light as TK11 but smoother and floodier with less range, CR123s only can't use 18650s
Fenix TK20 - Physically larger than the TK10/11 but puts out least amount of light due to 2xAA format, throws just about as far as TK10 due to it's large smooth reflector, uses warm tint LED for supposedly better color rendition, rubber grip tends to slide around when adjusting levels

I doubt your wife will be unhappy whatever you pick given that any of these choices will be brighter than what you're carrying right now :)

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I miss my old L4. The only light I regret disposing. IMHO, nothing else (current offering) compare with the L4.

A KL4 head with an E-series 18650 compatible body would be ideal, better runtime and heat dissipation etc...

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I miss my old L4. The only light I regret disposing. IMHO, nothing else (current offering) compare with the L4.

A KL4 head with an E-series 18650 compatible body would be ideal, better runtime and heat dissipation etc...

I'm thinking an 18500 E series body would be a good compromise.

Bill

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it sounds like you are looking for is a cheap Chinese KL4 replacement.
Good luck finding one. Remember you get what you pay for.
Like I said the KL4 Hears are often available in the market place portion of CPF for somewhat LESS that the $140.00 figure you quoted.
I paid less than $100.00 for a complete l4 some time ago.
It can be done some patience is required. One other option is to buy a novatac for yourself and give the DW (dear wife) the L4. Do a little research and you will learn that the Novatac is as close to a drop in replacement for the KL4 beam as there is.
IMHO there isn't really a light which is similar to the KL4. It is a highly unique light. You can mimic the beam though..in a light which is generally regarded as quite a bit more efficient and much cooler running than the kl4 head or l4 light as a whole.
I also agree that the 18650 body with the kl4 bead is about as hard to beat a combination as there is. I love mine. PLenty of output for plenty of time.
Yaesumofo

Thanks for the responses guys, couple of things tho. First, I am not looking to repair/replace my L4, just to pick up something similar to mine for my significant other. My L4 is running beautifully and I have no problems with it. Second, pricing out a KL4 head costs about as much as buying another L4, so if I were going to do that I may as well just get another one. Also, some of the options are coming close to that price anyway, and if I have the choice of getting another L4 or going with a brand I haven't tried for the same price, I'll probably stick with Surefire.

Thing is, I was hoping to find something comparable or at least approaching the L4 in terms of flood output and brightness without spending $140 on a new light. My wife isn't the gear whore that I am and so isn't as critical about a lot of things. I just want to get her something that will dump out a ton of light and be rugged enough to last through camping trips and what not. I was mainly considering the Fenix lights and those particular Surefire's because I'm finding them all for around $60-$80, which I think is reasonable for her. Basically I'm looking for the whole package to wind up under $80, so while I appreciate the suggestions I can't really do much with options that cost more than that.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO the 2008 inova t1 is a direct replacement for the l4 for under 60 $ and it runs on 2 123's for 4 hours at 100 lumens.
+1

The Inova T1 is a very floody light that puts out a good amount of light for a very long time. And you might get a warm emitter in yours.

Please read some reviews!