HELP PLEASE! Questions for Fenix TK20 owners!

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there...

After a lot of reading and searching, specially about Fenix TK20 and the new Fenix LD20, I still can´t decide.

There are some points that I´m thinking about, specially about their sizes and their tints!

FENIX TK20
The "problem" is the tint (or not), and it´s size.
I mean, I don´t like incan lights anymore. So, I´m afraid the this Q2 tint is like a "incan LED".
Am I correct? How yellow is the Q2 tint? Is it yellow/greenish like my Surefire L1 Cree?? Or is it yellow like my incan Maglite 2D?

FENIX LD20
Actually, I don´t see any problems in this light. I´ve already had a L2D, and it´s an amazing light! The good point toward it, if compared with TK20, is it´s size. It is smaller and thinner than the "tank" TK20, but has less throw. It will be my option, If I´m not convinced about TK20 tint.

I am pending to the TK20, but I´m afraid of it´s size (too big?) and tint (too yellow?)...

I intend to use the light in outdoor only, while I´m walking with the dogs, or while camping or fishing.

I liked all the other points of these 2 lights.

Opinions please! Help me choose my next 2xAA!

Thanks in advance!

PICTURES WITH TK20 AND L2D/LD20 SIDE BY SIDE ARE WELCOME! :poke:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'd go with the LD20, but that's just my taste - I'm not a fan of warm emitters because to a bystander the beam looks exactly like any other store-shelf flashlight they've ever seen. Plus the TK20 is very narrow-beamed for max throw, not at all ideal for walking or general use.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the narrow beam is good for my intent.
I really like a thrower... hehe.

My only concern is for the tint. I really don´t want a "incan LED" light.

:thumbsup:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have the TK20, so I can't offer any comparrison opinions....but...

I am a cool tint guy...and the TK20 tint does not bother me. It reminds me of the 2008 Inova T1. (mine anyway) Mine has a perfect beam....hotspot centered...no ringyness. It does throw well and is robust. It is not much longer than my Olight M20.

That being said.... If you really want a AA light, I recomend it. It does NOT have the output of the M20 or my other hotly driven 18650/123a lights. So if you are looking for just a bright light... there are brighter ones out there. But it is very well made and shows colors very accurately outdoors for a led.

I think either Fenix is a good light.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
Actually, the narrow beam is good for my intent.
I really like a thrower... hehe.

My only concern is for the tint. I really don´t want a "incan LED" light.

:thumbsup:

from my understanding its not a "sick mini mag" its more a a2 fully regulated incan which is actually just the very definition of white. and that color is the ticket for outdoor use, which this light is specifically designed for, from its throw optimized reflector, to the rubber grip which should be very nice in the winter when an aluminum bodied light is rather chilly

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO if you have a decent amount of lights, get the TK20. The L2D/LD20 is a bit of a jack of all trades. Great if you only have one light, but if you have a lot then you won't really use it much as you'll nearly always have a light better at the specific task in hand.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sevy, that site is amazing!

I love the comparison beamshots. You can see there that TK20 has a lot of throw (and a good spill too), but still yellow...

Well, thanks for all the help, guys.
I´ll still think a little bit...

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a grey TK20.

I like 2xAA lights, and it looks like it has a lot of throw, average runtime and excellent regulation.

As soon I get it, I´ll gonna post some beamshots, or maybe a video on Youtube.

Thanks for all (Sevy, Jarl, jirik, and others...) for the help! :twothumbs

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Federal, I love my TK20. It renders out door colors WAY better than my cool white LED's. Out doors it doesn't look yellow at all.

Those beam shots were probably all taken with the white balance set to daylight, so the warmer color temp will be more dramatic in the photo.

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
My TK20 is the color of the sun, about 15 minutes before sunset. It's just about as bright and focused, too. :twothumbs

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Federal, I love my TK20. It renders out door colors WAY better than my cool white LED's. Out doors it doesn't look yellow at all.

Those beam shots were probably all taken with the white balance set to daylight, so the warmer color temp will be more dramatic in the photo.

Wade, your words made me calm...

I hope it is less yellow than the most of the pictures that I saw... :grin2:

As soon I get it, I´ll post a review and some beamshots!

insanefred

Enlightened
I have measured my TK20 at about 3750K. Most LED emitters are closer to 6400K (very cool/blue'ish). Incandescent is 2700-3000K (very warm red'ish...
Natural sunlight is about 5500k. (direct mid-summer sunlight)
The tk20 is "more incandescent" but not. (somewhat warm with very little redness)
I was in your shoes too, when I ordered it and ask, "I am starting to feel afraid that it might be too warm."
I quickly feel in love with the tint! It does render colors far more faithfully. I throws very well..
Is it too big, well, I don't think so. It's not small but it's my EDC!

FWIW, the TK20 is not as warm as many photos appear!
When people set their WB to "sunlight" that can mean anywhere between 4800k-6500k!

Last edited:

firelord777

Enlightened
Yes, the tk20 does really throw, farther than i anticipated. but one thing i noticed is that the tk20 is rated at 150 lumens, with a 150 meter range. the minimag 2aa, is rated at 12 lumens and its throw is rated at 104 meters. other than that, it is one of my best lights so far. a raidfire spear is one that i would like to add to my arsenal of illumination devices, because of its throw.
But what use is there in having massive throw and lumens, if in an emergency, ex: hurricane, you don't have anywhere to recharge the li-ion battery, or find any primaries? the tk20 is rugged, pocketable( i don't mind the exttra weight) and is in my opinion, one of the most easiest and well regulated 2aa flashlight ever made. you'll find aa batteries everywhere, literally, except in jcpenny or ross.
But neverless, i would like a spear. it's preety impressive, but even though it has good throw, i would prefer the tk20 in, per say, a night stroll in the park. im not sure how far 150 meters is, but i am quite immpresed by this flashlight, although i hear an occasional whine on high.

ASheep

Enlightened
This is some serious necro-bumping, funny though, I read this thread about a week ago, as I'm looking at getting a TK-20... How does it fare compared to the newer lights like the Quark WW Turbo? I already have a NW quark AA2, but it isn't really a thrower, I would like something for outdoor spotting at distances just outside of what the (standard) Quark can do.

Also, Starhalo, the WW Quarks are XP-G Q5-7A flux bin, so according to 4sevens, they output 28% less than the standard Quarks, which brings the max lumens of an AA2 turbo to about 150 (give or take). This is about the same as the TK20's claimed output of 150 lumens from an XR-E Q2-5A flux bin...
I wonder how these guys' TK20s are holding up after 2 years?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
here is some quick shots:
quark aa turbo ww, tk20 , tk11

IMG_3993.JPG

underexposed
quark aa turbo ww, tk20 ,tk11
IMG_3988.JPG

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Also, Starhalo, the WW Quarks are XP-G Q5-7A flux bin, so according to 4sevens, they output 28% less than the standard Quarks, which brings the max lumens of an AA2 turbo to about 150 (give or take). This is about the same as the TK20's claimed output of 150 lumens from an XR-E Q2-5A flux bin...

Ah, good catch, but the Quark is rated out-the-front, the Fenix is rated at the emitter, so the Quark will be a wee bit brighter.

Selfbuilt hasn't tested a turbo head, so I don't have any reference to compare the Turbo vs the TK20 throw-wise, but I'd wager the Quark has an advantage thanks to the smaller die and higher output..