Is my experience with DX typical, or did I just make a bad pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zip22

Newly Enlightened
I ordered an Ultrafire WF-606A Q5 (sku 14909), and its been a bit disappointing. I was wondering if all DX flashlights are this quality, or if I just got unlucky.

A few of my complaints
-threads are not clean cut - pretty jagged
-bone dry threads and o-rings
-very thin walled tube - feel like i could crush it when empty
-anodizing isn't matched between parts
-different sections don't seem to screw together all the way as they should - when tightened all the way, there are gaps where there shouldn't be
-the dome on the LED had a little defect on the side, an extra tiny bulb of plastic that I was able to knock off with my fingernail

The biggest problem was that the clicky switch broke about 2 hours after I got the light. I completely disassembled the rear section and pulled apart the switch (I really had nothing to lose). The clicky mechanism looked just like that in a clicky pen, but it was clear that poorly molded parts were causing the switch to get stuck. I put in a tiny bit of lubricant to get it moving more smoothly. It works most of the time now, but I don't have 100% confidence in it working when I need it.

I contacted DX before I pulled it apart and they offered me $5 for sending me a light that broke after 2 hours. I realise that this was part of the risk of buying from them - theres not an easy way to get it back to them. If I hadn't been able to get it working again, I would have paid $17 for a broken light.

So, when looking at other lights, can I expect this poor quality from all the lights on DX, or are some better built than others?

HKJ

Flashaholic
I have some DX lights and I will say most of them match the price.
Your pay a low price for a light and your get a low quality light.

But if you buy the more expensive light, you will probably also get a good quality light, with the Tiablo A9 (where they sold a bad copy), they did quite a lot to fix it.

If your want to know what you get from DX, then check this thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/209354

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I wouldn't say ALL dx lights suffer from those things. I have found the dx Romisen lights to be considerably better fit, finish, anodize and machine quality than the Huwawi (SP?) ultrafire/superfire models.

Clicky switches can fail any time/place/where, regardless of who makes the light. Internal mechanics are nothing more than clicky-pens, for any of these switches although the plastic and nylon parts used inside can vary greatly.

I bought one of those $4 DX tail cap switch and it suffered intermittent contact, so I took it apart and used some light oil inside and it worked fine for ~40 days. Then the rev clicky started to feel a little creeky and squeeky, although it still works 100% since the lube job. None the less, I don't have much confidence in it so I shelved it in favor of a twisty switch.

:thumbsup:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very typical DX light from my experience. Every once in awhile there's a gem to be had, but in general you get what you pay for.

Marduke

Flashaholic
DX is just a distributor, like a mail-order WalMart for the entire world. The individual brands is what you need to pay attention to. Don't make a purchase without reading the reviews here on CPF.

And UltraFire is not known for being of high quality.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do your research on any light you are interested in, especially if you will be upset at a loss of funds.

DM51

Flashaholic
Your experience is a extremely common one. Each successive thread excitedly announcing the latest offering from DX is followed soon afterwards by its counterpoint thread complaining that it stopped working after just a few days.

These threads follow each other in a depressingly monotonous and seemingly endless, lemming-like sequence, and frankly we are getting sick of them. This one is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.