Which E2L: 45 lumen single mode or 60 lumen two mode?

DuckhunterInTN

Newly Enlightened
I am about to purchase an E2L to use for the following purpose:

It will be for my everyday bag. I will probably have a brighter light in the bag (C2 w/ M60) and a dimmer/adjustable runtime light in the bag (Fenix E01 or Photon Pro). On my person I'll probably be carring an E1b. In the bag will be a SF spares carrier with batteries.

Will all of that said, I am looking for a "long running, bright light" to round out the bag. I am looking at both the 45 lumen and 60 lumen models of the E2L, and can't decide which to get.

I don't really need the two mode because of the other lights I have available, but I like the 60 lumens. I dislike the shorter runtime of the 60 lumen version, but that is not a total dealbreaker because I will be carrying spare batteries.

I am somewhat concerned the 45 lumen version won't be bright enough for me and I'll just end up using the E1b. But I do like the longer runtime.

For those that have experience with both, which would you chose for this purpose? Is the 60 lumen really that much brighter than the 45 lumen?

WDR65

Enlightened
I've owned both and have stuck with the two stage version. Its beam is closer in quality to my E1B's and E2DL. I was less than impressed with the single stage first versions and their beams, I owned several and though they put out enough light it wasn't as intense a beam as I like. I can't directly compare the two anymore but the single stage had a more circular beam wth less intensity and the two stage had a bright more focused hotspot and better spill IIRC.

Since you are carrying spare batteries and the two stage can run on long time on low output and it loses a few hours to the single stage on high I would not be too concerned. I think of mine as a longer running version of my E1B's as its output is so similar.

Hope this helps.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2L 2 stage is fantastic. I prefer my lights to have the option of long running low levels and a high output. The runtime on high on the 2 stage is not too shabby either.

youreacrab

Enlightened
i don't know if the E2L 2 mode is the same as the 2008 KX2 (3/60 lumens). i love my kx2+e2e though. i leave the diffuser on it and it makes an excellent, reliable general-use / long runtime light (6 hours on high).

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love my 2 mode E2L - the flexibility is wonderful.

youreacrab

Enlightened
i don't know if the E2L 2 mode is the same as the 2008 KX2 (3/60 lumens). i love my kx2+e2e though. i leave the diffuser on it and it makes an excellent, reliable general-use / long runtime light (6 hours on high).

okay i did a little research and can't tell if the E2L 3/60 is the same as the KX2 3/60. anyone know?

Illum

Flashaholic

The Single mode E2L is sometimes referred to as the 2007 version, while the dual output [yes, the 3/60] is referred to as the 2008 version even though it came out around late 2007

I'm surprised for the lack of praise for the single mode...I thought the spill was sufficient for most tasks:shrug:

then again, some people just don't like moon beams while others strive to do so using aspherics:ohgeez:

it all depends on what your using it for, I have two single stages and love them for applications where spill does more harm than good.

I'm a runtime fan...so heres some proof
2007 E2L CREE
On Primaries [Pic rehosted from: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/169212 ]

On 17670 [Pic Rehosted from: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2132015 ]

Last edited:

Nathan

Enlightened
With all the lights you already have you have all your bases covered. Except for long runtime. I believe the single output E2L's "KX2a" will outlast all of your other lights. Plus the dual output E2L has similar characteristics to your E1B. I have both versions of the KX2 and the difference in output (on high for the the "KX2b") is barely noticeable in actual use. Given that, I vote for the single output E2L.

Last edited:

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
its single stage E2L for me, 9hrs near flat output is so hard to beat. :twothumbs

1996alnl

Enlightened
its single stage E2L for me, 9hrs near flat output is so hard to beat. :twothumbs

With all the talk about the E1L and E2L's exellent runtime and performance lately,i'm thinking of getting one.I have an L1,E1B and a E2DL and i think these lights are all awsome.I just wish they ran longer.
A couple questions,has anyone run RCR123's or a 17670 cell in their E2L?

Take care

4EN[sic]

Newly Enlightened
I have the single stage and I love it. It is plenty bright for everyday use and the run time is killer. But then again, who wouldn't want brighter?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am about to purchase an E2L to use for the following purpose:

It will be for my everyday bag. I will probably have a brighter light in the bag (C2 w/ M60) and a dimmer/adjustable runtime light in the bag (Fenix E01 or Photon Pro). On my person I'll probably be carring an E1b. In the bag will be a SF spares carrier with batteries....

If you ever find yourself outdoors at night for long hours without carrying around your bag, the single stage Cree E2L will be the one you want due to its super long runtime.

I have been using one for nightly walks since I bought it in July 2007. Plenty bright.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

There you go! Finally someone I can side with. You can run in reg all night long and not have to worry about carrying extra cells. The 1st gen cree E2L has still not been beaten by any factory light IMO.

It runs just fine on a 17650 cell and gives me a long burn, so long I have not bothered to time it.

Nathan

Enlightened
A couple questions,has anyone run RCR123's or a 17670 cell in their E2L?

Member cbubu plotted a graph of the single stage E2L(KX2) about a year ago. On an AW 17670 it ran for 4:42 fully regulated. It took just over 6 hours to get to 50% output.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote for the single stage. I use a white cap for a Coleman propane cell on the bezel for protection and it makes a pretty decent diffuser. As I recall someone here did a runtime test and got like 7 hours of regulation on primaries. Chevrofreak maybe?

My E2L is a sentinal in my work disaster kit.

If you want a 2 stage I would recommend the L1. A much better UI IMHO.

Visible EM Wave

Enlightened
With the E1B on you and the other 2 lights with extra batteries in your bag, I think all you need is another brighter light! Get a 1D or 1C sized Mag modded with P7. Very bright and small enough for a carry-on bag. Use a dimming driver like D2DIM so you get the flexibility of extremely bright to extremely long run-time.

Sorry I'm always a fan of Mag. ;)

For the E2L, I vote for the single stage.

Riddick

Newly Enlightened
E2L 45 lm single stage probably one of the best lights ever manufactured

Brightest 45 lm light you'll ever see!! Dead on 9 hr 4 min in regulation and in my light the whitest light I've ever seen

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
There you go! Finally someone I can side with. You can run in reg all night long and not have to worry about carrying extra cells. The 1st gen cree E2L has still not been beaten by any factory light IMO.

It runs just fine on a 17650 cell and gives me a long burn, so long I have not bothered to time it.

:rock: i am not alone!

another light with more spill less lumens with a good amount of runtime will take care of most close-up tasks much better, IMO. like the Gerder IU, a dim lumen light with a very smooth transition from 'bright' to dark. :thumbsup:

IMO, also, its easier to estimate the remaining battery life of single stage lights. but thatz just me.