Surefire Updates

BigD64

Enlightened
Just talked to a friend at Surefire he said that the problem holding up the UA2 is a difficulty in the various modes. Combination problems with the tail cap and the twist ring are screwing them up. I think they are trying to find a way to make it more user friendly. If they were just for CPF members they'd prolly be released already, but for Joe public flashlight user there needs to be a simpler operation.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thinking: Why would that be a problem? The selector ring / tailcap combo was already established with the U2. The only difference seems to be the Max Blast, full lumens when the tailcap is pressed all the way down. And I´d think most non-flashoholics would find the UA2s UI easier to operate than those wild click orgies on some other lights :grin2:

Eric

1996alnl

Enlightened
I could understand why Surefire takes their time releasing a product.
When you have the best warranty in the business,you have to have the most reliable product possible.
Works for me. Patience...good things come to those who wait.

Take care

Burgess

Flashaholic
Patience...good things come to those who wait.

Hey, that's also Mag Instrument's corporate motto !

:cool:
_

streetmaster

Enlightened
Just talked to a friend at Surefire he said that the problem holding up the UA2 is a difficulty in the various modes. Combination problems with the tail cap and the twist ring are screwing them up. I think they are trying to find a way to make it more user friendly. If they were just for CPF members they'd prolly be released already, but for Joe public flashlight user there needs to be a simpler operation.
Since you have a friend at SureFire, ask him about the P61L. :D

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Everybody has heat problems. Some ignore them, some don't. It is all about choices. I prefer the lower output of the P60L and its thermal step-down over the risk of heat damage.
Although I admit that I have absolutely no clue about how much a drop-in module can actually sustain :D
bernie

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll hijack this thread a little - any chance you could ask your friend about the KL9 (LED) head?

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Patience...good things come to those who wait.

Hey, that's also Mag Instrument's corporate motto !
Really? I thought Mag's motto was "Why change anything......people still buy our lights by the millions"

Seriously though, I'd rather Surefire wait and get it right than rush it to market like some other companies do and have a problematic product or face a recall or a lot of warranty work. I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

CallMeDave

Newly Enlightened
...Combination problems with the tail cap and the twist ring are screwing them up...

Surefire booth representative at today's IACP Conference revealed that the switch problem has been solved, and they're aiming for a February release of the Invictus.

He also admitted that the P61L is not a current priority, so no ETA.

No idea if he was a voice of authority.

Dave

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I can see the tailcap + ring user interface being a problem. IIRC there isn't a separate tube or wire for the tailcap to send the signal to tell the driver to provide max output.

Maybe they can have the tailcap have a circuit which cuts the power twice or how ever many needed to provent accident for a very, very, very short peroid of time. The circuit will pick this up and provide max output. Just a random possible that poped into my head. Might be a bit complex though.

BigD64

Enlightened
I'll ask about the KL9. I wish I could tell you about a couple other things but then the goodies would stop comming.

BigD64

Enlightened
Everybody else can build 200+ lumen dropins, what's the big deal with designing a new reflector/heatsink?

Every body else doesn't warranty thier stuff for life. They don't want to over heat the led and reduce the lifespan.

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
Any news about the UB2 or Titan? The Titan was in Outdoor magazine this month. I was hoping that it would be out in time for Christmas.