E1L vs. E1B?

bluep3ace

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at 1 cell LED lights, and I've got a bunch of CR123 lying around. I've narrowed it down to these two.

The E1L has a slightly lower low setting, which lasts a bit longer than the E1B's slightly higher low setting. I figure I'm going to be using the low 70% of the time, but this seems to be a pretty insignificant comparison. However, the high settings are where the two begin to differ.

The E1b has a very high setting, at about 80lm while the E1L is only about 45. But since I won't be using the high settings all that much, their runtimes don't seem to matter for me.

I can get the E1L for pretty cheap now, and I'm wondering if the high setting of the E1B is significantly brighter than the E1L's high setting. What about throw? Which one would also allow me to see things from far away?

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the E1L and the E1B. My E1L's low is just a bit brighter than my E1B but not by much. The E1B will out throw the E1L on the High setting by a noticeable difference. My daughter also has an E1L and I cannot tell a difference in the low setting on her E1L and the low on my E1B. The E1B also has a clip better suited for pocket carry in my opinion. The parts between the two lights are interchangeable so clips, switches, bodies and heads can be mixed and matched.

If I could only have one of the two, I would choose the E1L with the E1B clip. :)

Edit:

Some people find that because of the knurling on the body and tail cap, the E1L is easier to grip and is takes a bit less effort to turn on the light while the E1B is smooth and may slide in your hand some causing you to have to use more effort to engage the switch.

Last edited:

steveG

Enlightened
Don't forget that the E1B starts on high and the E1L starts on low. I enjoy a super bright light just as much as the next guy, but starting at 80 Lumen (especially in close quarters) is overwhelming.

I just got an E1L and love it. I can already see that it will be my most used light.

bluep3ace

Newly Enlightened
steveG, that's exactly what I was looking at.

I think I'm going to get both, and probably give the one less used to my brother, or have one for edc and the other for camping.