Some SF Questions - G2 & LEDs,

digitaldave

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of questions that I hope you SF experts can help with...

1) Can the regular (i.e. incan) G2 use P60 LED drop in modules, or will the LED generate too much heat for the polymer bezel? There must be a reason the G2L comes with a metal bezel... I have a couple of P60 type drop ins, and was thinking that a G2 host might be a good idea for a torch to put in my tool box rather than a 6P.

2) What are the differences between the various SF P60 compatible 2xCR123 models, i.e. G2, 6P, C2, Z2, G2Z (and respective LED versions)? Is it just the material it's made from and the body shape?

Thanks,

Dave.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
1) Yes, they all work and the bezel should handle the heat just fine, but the LED might not.

2) I think body shape and material is the only big difference.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. As Gunner12 said, the light body itself will be fine. Whether or not the LED drop-in will survive is another story. I may be wrong, but I believe that SureFire's P60L would be fine because it uses some sort of thermal management. BTW, the original G2L's came with Nitrolon heads, but SureFire has since switched.

2. Basically the same; just difference styles, materials, and anodizing. The M-series lights differ from the rest though in that they have shock-isolation in the bezel.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Give some though to looking for an LED drop-in that will not get too hot.

Yes it won't be SUPERMAX BLAZING output, but it will save you some battery cost that way!

I always recomend the M60L for a stock G2. Good output, regulation, no heat worry, very tough, great runtime, and you buy from a CPF'er with a steller reputation. And for a worklight the F variants are WAY more usefull. Don't ignore the M60LL either, it's brighter than it sounds on paper.
NOT a fan of the P60L.

digitaldave

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies :).

I already have an M60 for my 6P, and it's a great drop in - Gene is someone I would happily buy from again, in fact I've been thinking about one of the flood versions for my 6P.

The reason I was thinking of using a P60L is that I have one sitting spare - of course, I could always just use the regular incan P60 ;).

EDIT: Sgt. LED, what are your objections to the P60L?

Dave.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I got an early unit that totally sucked.
Blue
Lower than advertized output before and after thermal management
Thermal reg kicked in 2 minutes even in all Al host for some reason
Runtime was just stupidly short for that small output IMO

It was a little better than incan overall, but not better enough for me to actually use it.

Tomcat!

Enlightened
I have a G2L and found that not all non-SF LED drop-ins work perfectly. I also have a G3 incan and decided to play swap around. The P60L from the G2L works perfectly, as you would expect, in any D26 size head. I also put it in a 6P and a 9P incan. No problems. My non-SF LEDs were a different matter. I have two 9v drop-ins, one from Lighthound and one no name Hong Kong unit from eBay. Both work without issue in the metal 6P & 9P. In the G3 there seems to be a contact problem with the Nitrolon body. I have to unscrew the pill from the reflector a few turns to make it work, and sometimes slap it around before fully tightening the bezel to make them work. The eBay one is slightly more reliable. Sometimes I have to take the light apart and reassemble it by putting in the LED first, tighten the head, and only then inserting the batteries otherwise the G3 won't work. The G2 has been even more tricky and I only got it to work by unscrewing the pill to within a turn of it falling out. Reliability-wise I would only trust the G2 in this set up for toolbox duty. I don't have any Malkoffs so I cannot really judge, but I would assume that his attention to detail and spec would produce a better fit than the majority of 3rd party LED drop-ins.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Ya get what ya pay for.

Malkoff
Wolf eyes
Deerelight
Lumensfactory
All good items in my experience. LF is the best bang for the buck. Favorites are the Malkoffs!

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with the Malkoff...I have two G2s (one yellow, one camo) both with M60Ls and I LOVE them! Still very bright, with great runtime and they live inside a Nitrolon G2 head with no problems, even after running for extended periods of time.

I can't speak for the "F" versions, but I've read good things about them.

roymail

Enlightened
These guys are right. The M60L is a great match for a G2. Better output than I expected with very good runtime. The M60L's beam is outstanding as compared to the less than stellar P60L. The Malkoff is the perfect match for a G2, in my opinion.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
1) Yes, you can use a P60 Led drop-in with a G2. But it's best not to use the light in continuous-on mode. The use of an aluminum bezel with the G2L was for improving heat dissipation.

2) Body style is the main difference between those 5 Surefire lights that you mentioned.

signal 13

Enlightened
NOT a fan of the P60L.

I once thought, for a short period of time, that the P60L was the coolest thing ever. Until I discovered CPF and all the custom possibilities!

Now my P60Ls are only used as long-running backups and/or for use with the Surefire traffic cone on accident scenes.

1996alnl

Enlightened
Why does Surefire rate the runtimes on the G2L and the 6P differently (11hrs and 12 hrs) ? when both of them have the P60L drop in and aluminum head?

Take care

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the Malkoff M60 with a Surefire G2, but I changed the head bezel for a ebay tactical one. I guess it is kinda like the G2L. Sold the G2 nitrolon since and got 2 Surefire 6P.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
1) Can the regular (i.e. incan) G2 use P60 LED drop in modules, or will the LED generate too much heat for the polymer bezel? There must be a reason the G2L comes with a metal bezel... I have a couple of P60 type drop ins, and was thinking that a G2 host might be a good idea for a torch to put in my tool box rather than a 6P.

While both will start out at ~80 lumens, the G2L w/ metal bezel will thermally regulate down to ~60 lumens within 15-30 minutes, while the G2L w/nitrolon bezel will thermally regulate further, down to ~50 lumens. As others have said here, there shouldn't be any problems.

2) What are the differences between the various SF P60 compatible 2xCR123 models, i.e. G2, 6P, C2, Z2, G2Z (and respective LED versions)? Is it just the material it's made from and the body shape?

The M-series lights differ from the rest though in that they have shock-isolation in the bezel.

The shock isolation of the M2 was designed to assist incan lamps, and is not necessary for LED modules. They are not optimum for LED's, as the shock isolation thermally insulates the modules somewhat.

My two cents, I recommend trying the C2/C3 series, many CPF'ers report that they feel better in the hand than the simpler designs. I've found that the grip ring on the C series really does work well.

The two P60L's I've handled were slightly bluer than my Malkoff modules, as others have noted.

Why does Surefire rate the runtimes on the G2L and the 6P differently (11hrs and 12 hrs) ? when both of them have the P60L drop in and aluminum head?

The poorer thermal conductivity of the nitrolon body in the G2L will cause the thermal regulation in the P60L to cut the drive current, slightly increasing the life of the batteries.

My M60LL in my all-nitrolon G2 has it ALL OVER my wife's aluminum-bezel G2L for runtime. Slightly less output, but 3x the runtime and a much nicer beam. I wouldn't hesitate to run a P60L continuously in my all-nitrolon G2 if I had to though.

Nobody around here seems to know how SF will solve their thermal management issues in their long-awaited higher-output P61L, as using their thermally-regulated resistor-type solution will result in the loss of much of the higher output. They should just buy 100,000 Malkoff's and just save those R&D funds for other pursuits. Whoops, did I just say that aloud?:poke:

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I prefer my Malkoff M30 to my P60L when it comes to lumen output, but like to use the P60L in my 6Z for around the house uses with its lower output. Also, I noticed that the spill of the P60L is wider than my KL4 and M30, not as bright of course, but pretty nice.

Bill

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering if you can use the 6P bezel on a G2 incandescent? Is it just as simple as screwing it on or is there some tweaking required? I know that the new G2 LED are supposedly coming with a metal bezel but its hard to determine when the light was manufactured.

Bruce B

Enlightened
I'm wondering if you can use the 6P bezel on a G2 incandescent? Is it just as simple as screwing it on or is there some tweaking required? I know that the new G2 LED are supposedly coming with a metal bezel but its hard to determine when the light was manufactured.
Yes you can use the 6P bezel on the G2. Simply screw it on in place of the Polymer bezel. It's that simple.