1160/5761 VS TLR-300MR for Magcharger

Nochrome

Newly Enlightened
Never having experienced either setup I am looking for opinions on which way to go here. It seems from my research that the two mods in question come it at $50-$70 bucks(if I get a ceramic slug and 2 bulbs), so roughly in the same ball park.
I should also say that this light will be used as a duty light so, "every night/all night" would be a good description of its intended use.
Which will provide the more "stunning" output?
I assume the LED wins hands down as far as reliability?
I also assume the LED will have much longer runtime?
It seems as though I'm leaning towards the LED but whenever I look at beamshot comparisons the Incan lights seem to be dramatically better.
Currently, I'm using an M20 premium and it has put my poor old Magcharger to shame (down but not out!).
So, in short, what would you do? A simple poll would be great! Thanks

Last edited:

Sabre

Newly Enlightened
The 5761 is super super super bright. I have one for my Mag-charger and have used it as a police duty light. Seriously, the output is incredible and has to be seen to be believed.

The run-time, however, much less than impressive. If I do a call or two and 5 to 7 traffic stops, I need a battery change. I'm guessing about 30 minutes of run-time. That's not 30min to 50% brightness, either. I mean 30min until you need a battery change.

Because of that, I went back to the stock bulb. If you go the 5761 route, consider a higher-capacity battery pack or at minimum, a spare or two.

I also have a Fenix T1. I have used that as a primary light on stops as well, so that I could compare the incan light from the mag to a nice, white LED. In short, I prefer the incan color by a wide margin. It's just so much more natural. Consider your color preference before you get the TLR.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The bulb options you've noted are fantastic drag-strip hotwire bulbs, good out to about 1200 lumens, but only on the order of tens of minutes even with a carefully selected power source. And since you have to overdrive them to get that kind of output, you're looking at a bulb life of tens of hours also (assuming you never drop your Mag.)

The TerraLUX MR drop-in averages a regulated 500+ lumens and has the same runtime as the stock bulb.

kts

Enlightened
Currently, I'm using an M20 premium and it has put my poor old Magcharger to shame (down but not out!).

You mean Olight M20?

I got a brand new Magcharger, it will easy throw +200m. and I wondered if you got a bad battery or maybe the bulb is out of focus...I just cant see any Olight putting the good old Magcharger to shame :thinking:

Nochrome

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, yes its the "Olight" m20 premium. It is quite a bit brighter than my Maglite or the maglites caried by the other guys. These are Maglites that are in the 20 year old range so perhaps they are not as bright as a newer one. The bulb is of unknown vintage, the battery is a few years old and the reflector has seen better days which are all factors too I guess.
Thank you for the comments on the hotwire option. Its sounds like they are more of a fun thing than practical for work though If Im hearing you right.

Nochrome

Newly Enlightened
Honestly speaking, I'm not really up on the numbers involved. My opinions of the two lights output is entirely subjective. I'm trying to learn though I promise. I just know when I'm in someones backyard at night the Olight is superior by far. I hadn't thought of the difference in color as a factor in how brightness is percieved. Maybe I'm white light dominant?
One thing I'm not clear on is if the Maglite is rated at 200 lumens and the Olight is rated at 250 but the Maglite has the much higher Lux rating how can you tell just from the numbers which is the brighter light? (If that makes sense).
I've strayed a bit from my original question.....:shrug:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Lumens = total amount of light being emitted
Lux = how far the light goes

The Mag has a dimmer light source, but its much larger reflector gives it a huge edge when it comes to projecting that light. The Olight has a brighter light source, but the smaller reflector means it doesn't go as far.

The Mag will seem brighter on distant objects, the Olight will seem brighter when lighting a larger, closer area.

Nochrome

Newly Enlightened
Thank you that explains it then. Everything I need the light for is within 50 feet or so at the most.