Kiddys Headlamp at Wally-World good for Mod?

tonyb

Enlightened
Has anyone seen the cheap kids 2-AA headlamp at Wally-World I think either ray-o-vac or enegizer makes it. I was wondering if anyone has modded on of these lights with a 1-Watt luxeon yet. I'm wondering about the quality it looks nicer than the cyclops headlamp right beside it. I'm thinking focusable and total dimmability too. I guess I can always take it back if it sucks. I going to need it for a 25 mile night hike next week along the A.T. I'm also wondering if it would be better to mount it on my cheststrap (no I didn't say chinstrap!). My friend suggested that I mount it there so as to keep the light on the trail and not to follow my head movements. I've already hiked with a light in my hand believe it or not it fatigues you to hold it in your hand for many hours. Something else just hit me maybe I should put a red, amber, cyan, and white in there and make it switchable between them. That will make it a 10 year project for sure I guess I'll stick to just white or amber.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tonyb said:...Something else just hit me maybe I should put a red, amber, cyan, and white in there and make it switchable between them. That will make it a 10 year project for sure I guess I'll stick to just white or amber.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that light, but I think white and amber are the 2 best colors in the woods. Red is easy on the eyes, and preserves night vision, but doesn't reflect well off objects you typically find in the woods. Amber does reflect very well off dirt, tree branches/trunks, and sort of cuts through the green grass and leaves.

Cyan is very bright, but doesn't focus well. I would use green over cyan, which focuses much better and is almost as bright. Cyan will also hurt your eyes if they're well adapted to the dark, and you turn a 1 watter on.

BTW, whereabouts on the AT are you headed? I'm not far from Mt. Greylock (MA), but I tend to go to the Adirondacks instead of the AT.

N4aeq

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know how the light output of the conversion
compares ? The LS is 1 watt & I think the bulb is .5 amp
@ 3 volts thats about 1.5 watt. This should be brighter or
is the LS just as bright ?

tonyb

Enlightened
Lux Luthur,
I live in Central PA unfortunately. The Adirondacks are a great place to hike just be careful in the winter though it gets pretty rough up there. I meet a guy on the A.T. hiking who said he got 6ft. of snow when he was backpcking out there and thought he wouldn't make it out alive! MA is a beautiful state also!

I was thinking amber might not attract as many bugs to me. But good vision might be more important, like not getting hurt.

Plinko,
I don't see a step-up converter anywhere in the mod is that why you suggest lithiums? Nice web page!

Is the Head Lamp somewhat water-proof against heavy rain and a quick dunk in the drink?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see a step-up converter anywhere in the mod is that why you suggest lithiums? Nice web page!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, a luxeon driven at 3 volts is underdriven. Lithiums will give significantly more output. You should be able to cram in a micropuck or other step-up circuit, but there may be a problem with heat.

Glad you like my mod and my page - Thanks! Feel free to browse around the site for other easy mods. That particular headlamp you see on the page is in my emergency/natural disaster bag.

It is surprisingly waterproof - it can take splashing/rain and should survive a dunk without trouble.

Plinko

Newly Enlightened
tonyb,

I used an amber 1w high dome Luxeon Star/O for one of the mods and it turned out very nice. The amber Luxeon has a slightly lower forward voltage than the white/blue/turq/etc. If you want to use one of those colors, I'd recommend using the driver sold by LEDSupply to give you the appropriate voltage. If you use red/orange/amber you can get away with not using any sort of step-up converter and still get good output.
Also, you asked about it's "waterproofness"...it's well sealed and uses rubber gaskets throughout. I wouldn't take it scuba diving, but it's completly waterproof.

kg4ote,

The light output of the original beam is much like a MiniMag in both output and projection. With the amber Luxeon output and beam characteristics are FAR superior.

It's a great light, and I keep it in my truck for close-up and hands-free tasks for which the 3D Maglite or the Vector spotlight are not well suited. Originally I made it for backpacking, but I use another headlamp for that (a modified Ray-o-Vac 3-in-one headlamp, becase it lets me switch from 1 to 2 LEDs or a Luxeon when I need that much light. I only wish that the it used AA's, or that they made lithium AAA's)