info on old flashlight please help

draible

Newly Enlightened
hello, I'm a new member and I'm wondering if anyone can help. I bought a house a few years ago and inside i found an interesting flashlight. It was made in Germany, the back cap reads CRONE focus made in germany. There is a sticker on the side that reads, Struthers Wells Titusville-Warren Pennsylvania I assume that's where the light was bought. Here's the cool part. it changes color, stamped on the side it says Tricolor U.S pat pending. It takes 2 D sized batteries if that helps you determine the size (about 10 inches long). There are 3 sliding switches on it one turns the light on, another slides a green sleeve over the bulb and another one slides a red sleeve over the bulb turning the flashlight into almost some kind of traffic signal . My question is does anyone know how this light was used? I could assume Police could use the signaling but the light isn't that bright to be used as a night time finding criminals type of light, maybe the railroads but again it's not that big to signal a train. How old is this dam thing and are lights like this still being made. If photos would help I can take some pictures and post them as well if you need to see it better...... Thanks for any info you have.

labrat

Enlightened
I had a light like that when I was a child, 45 years ago.
Mine also had an orange, blinking tail, to be used as a beacon sitting on the front end down.
It was made of thin metal, and eventually just rusted away!
I don't think these where anything special for professional service people, just very nice flashlights at the time.
I got mine from my dad bringing it back from the US, he was there on some training when I was very young, staying at Cape Canaveral.
I even remember him bringing back with him a big plastic model of the first Apollo 11, complete with the moon-lander, that landed on the moon surface!
It was more than a meter high, I did assemble it, paint it and it is still on display inside a glass cabinet situated inside the NATO facility he was working in.
I got a few "cool" toys back then, which he brought back with him from the States!

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your light should also have (or had) another slider on the body near the bezel. This control slides the bulb relative to the reflector to provide a somewhat crude focusing mechanism. It may be broken off.

The entire light was made of thin metal poorly plated. However, a great child's toy for a budding flashaholic which I was in 1953.

Mark

draible

Newly Enlightened
Kramer5150,
You are 100% correct, the link you have provided is the EXACT model light I now own. It is also in perfect shape just like the one photoed. I still am not sure what this could be used for, I've found out that the guy who owned my house before me worked the steel mills, so maybe it was a work related light for directing rail cars of steel or something. By the way I was curious as to your screen name, are you a Van Halen fan? I ask because Eddie Van Halen played Kramer guitars in the 80's and early 90's and used the famous red Kramer guitar with white and black pinstripes on the 5150 album. To the rest of you who responded to my question thankyou for your fast responce and your information.

Dennis :D

Burgess

Flashaholic
Looks familiar to me, also.

Certainly not a Professional-type flashlight.

More of a toy, than a tool.

Thank you for the memories !

:wave:
_

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
since you already have all the info you asked for,
all I can say is, "nice find" and, ":welcome:!"

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
and the fun part is:
for sure that was a "professional" light back then (whenever that was)

even today most ppl would think this is professional

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
Possibly some kind of signaling light for railroad or other similar work? It is an interesting find..