SF one cell lights

jcs71

Newly Enlightened
Out of the Surefire brand of lights what is your favorite one cell light? The reason I ask is I am thinking of getting one but I am not sure which one. I currently have a 6PD and a G2, both Malkoffed. I just wanted something a tad different.

Niconical

Enlightened
It would be hard to decided between the E1B and E1L.

If I had to choose from my own though, I'd say E1B as I have a Z68 on it and it makes it feel much better in the hand.

I've actually been thinking of trying to put together a lego.

E1L body, or whatever single cell E series body is black, with knurling.
KX1 head, black.
Clip from the E1B.
Z68 tailcap.

That would make my perfect single cell Surefire.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to have some fun and a TRULY different Surefire light - make a lego! I finally got the last piece today (thanks carbine15) for my dream 1 cell surefire that will now stay in my edc bag:

Surefire e1e body
McClicky tail
E2C adapter
C2 head
Malkoff M30 (will be replaced with an M30W when it arrives)

SU1HMDA1NTQuanBn.jpg

It was fun to get the pieces together!

If I chose a stock SF - it'd either be:
For the city: E1B + z68
For the woods: L1

BOTH WITH AN FO4 DIFFUSER - A MUST!!!

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to have some fun and a TRULY different Surefire light - make a lego! I finally got the last piece today (thanks carbine15) for my dream 1 cell surefire that will now stay in my edc bag:

Surefire e1e body
McClicky tail
E2C adapter
C2 head
Malkoff M30 (will be replaced with an M30W when it arrives)

SU1HMDA1NTQuanBn.jpg

It was fun to get the pieces together!

If I chose a stock SF - it'd either be:
For the city: E1B + z68
For the woods: L1

BOTH WITH AN FO4 DIFFUSER - A MUST!!!

Very Cool. I have the same exact setup only the stock E1E tail.

1996alnl

Enlightened
I like rotating my lights for EDC but the L1 seems to get the most use,love the way if feels inhand and i'm a big fan of the SF TIR optic.

GPB

Enlightened
Can some of the L1 fans explain why you like it over the E1B ? It seems like the E1B is brighter, has a longer burn time (on low), is smaller, and costs less.

thanks

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like the UI better, although it is pretty big for a 1 cell light. If they move the electronic to head and make it the same size as E1B it would be perfect.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can some of the L1 fans explain why you like it over the E1B ? It seems like the E1B is brighter, has a longer burn time (on low), is smaller, and costs less.

thanks

I had them both.
After comparing them for a while, I ended up selling the L1.
The E1B has been my EDC since it came out.
029-3.jpg

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have an E1B as well as plenty of other SureFires. The reasons why I prefer the L1 over the E1B specifically:

The L1's User Interface (UI) is so simple, fast and easy to use - it's a two-stage push button pressure switch. Press of low output, press harder for high output.
The E1B's UI is a dual output Clickie - forcing the user to have to cycle between the two output levels and it can't be momentarily flashed without changing the output level.

The L1's output is less but not significantly. I'd say that the L1 and E1B output is significantly less than the E2DL / KX2C but I wouldn't use the output difference between the L1 and E1B as a differentiator.

The E1B is sorter than the L1 - this is, for me, almost as much as a show-stopper as the E1B's UI. I find the E1B (and E1/E1L) to be too short for my hand to grip and operator for any length of time. The body to bezel diameter ratio combined with the length of the body mean I find it difficult to retain. Add to that the blended design of the E1B compared to the knurling of the L1 and there is a big difference between how secure my grip is and feels on the two lights.

Price... I think the L1 (and other flashlights based on the same two-stage UI) are well worth the cost of engineering.

1996alnl

Enlightened

thanks

I'm a fan of both.Tha E1B has a nice smooth design which is nice in the pocket,but i find it could easily slip out of my hand and it being a tactical light the high comes on first.
For everyday use i like the low first.
The L1 on the other hand has that rugged military look,the UI is in my books is superior and 100% reliable.It's not too big not too small,mine is actually brighter than my E1B because i use a RCR123 in it.
When i'm paying $150 for a light $10 is not really a big difference for me.
Like i said i like both i find the beams pretty much the same ,it's just a matter of design for me.

Carpenter

Enlightened
As you can see above, many different people like the 1 cel lights for many different reasons.

As owner of both a E1B and an L1, I have to vote to the L1. I wear my light in a SF holster on my belt and for the same reason that Size15's posted above, the E1B is a little too small for the holster. In fact I added the tailstand tailcap just so I would have a little something to hold onto while clicking.

The E1B has a clicky tailcap and while I like forward clickies, I normally do not need the high lumens right away. The L1 gives me the option to use a little or lot of lumens based on how hard I push the button or turn the knob.

crocodilo

Enlightened
Have three and love them all, for different reasons:

L1: best user interface, ever, period. Bit big, though, but handles really nice.
E1L: marvellous runtimes with more than adequate light, low first, then high.
E1B: bright, slips well into pockets, high first, then low. My choice when carrying a gun.

GPB

Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I can't compare the lights in question here, but I can say that I love my E1B. Prior to this light I had many lights that all got a fair amount of use. Now I find I grab the E1B 80% of the time and the others just sit there. I love that I don't have to chose between brightness and size anymore.