Do people really NEED more than one or two flashlights?

Blight

Newly Enlightened
I use to think that all anybody really needed was one really good flashlight and maybe a second one for backup. I was looking to get a nice small, multi-brightness light that I can carry with me. I'm leaning toward single cell because they are easier to carry. I use to think a multi-cells light would be too big and get difficult to carry.

The more I read, the more I'm thinking I need several different lights for different purposes. Now I'm seeing that the multi-cells are probably going to be brighter and would be good to have when I don't need to be carrying the smallest light possible.

I'm also reading about all these different mods to bigger lights and can't help but imagine how awesomely bright they must be. I'm afraid I'm getting a strange urge and don't know what to do about it. :ohgeez:

Is there one light out there that would satisfy my needs or do I NEED more than one light?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
A person doesn't really NEED any flashlights.

But if you like to have one, I don't see any reason why a person couldn't get along through life just fine with one.

Or if you want a backup, then have two.

And so on..

Blight

Newly Enlightened

But if you like to have one, I don't see any reason why a person couldn't get along through life just fine with one.

And so on..

They why do I feel so funny inside? It's like a hunger! It only happens when I visit this site!!! :p

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Of course. I have more than one or two defensive firearms, so therefore I must have more than one or two lights...

;)

zx7dave

Enlightened
Depends if it is to provide light or if it is a passion...all in how you look at it...

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
the answer is : Yes, you need as many as your budget can take and then one or 2 more in all different shapes and sizes with differing output capacities and runtimes.

I need a CR2 light but i can't afford muyushondt right now

socal8080

Newly Enlightened
Blight, as a newb, i totally agree with what you said. Like most "good" things most people just start off with "just one", then the next thing ya know.....
this forum is pretty sweet, cool folks, no vibes.... zx -that photo is insane!!!!

Last edited:

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have lights for different purposes and for different gear bags. including -

daytime/work/dressy EDC
nighttime/weekend EDC
"bombproof" EDC
general at-home use
tactical light near bed
2 different camping lights

mini-BOB
PSK
day hike pack
BOB
work kit
car kit

thats already 13 lights :whistle:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

And so on..
I beg to differ... we all NEED at least one light, that requirement may be met by anything from a mere candle (for blackouts) to a HD Multi-cell for our respective occupation OR for potential automotive breakdowns, personally I'm of the belief that no SINGLE light can satisfy all our needs thus a range of lighting solutions would be appropriate :thumbsup:

BTW Blight... in case you haven't worked it out yet, you've got 'Flash-a-holism' and it won't get better no matter how many flashlights you collect, you're DOOMED, DOOMED I tell ya' :D

mr.squatch

Enlightened
There are a few lights that could satisfy every "need" you have, but what fun is that? Haha. I don't need 5 modes in any light. My fenix pd20 is just about right. Single cell, fits in any pocket, feels great in the hand. Has a monster high, turns half a turn to low low, then if u half click it on high it has a terrific strobe. That's all I need. High for searching, low for dark dark and strobe for fun. If you want just one light, I suggest that, or the 2 cell pd(30?) I forget what it's called, sorry.

If you want, there are sooo many different lights. I have one that throws a mile, one that catches things on fire, one I carry out in a dark alley, one I carry with my gun, one I carry in my lappy bag, one I grab for walkin around the house, and probably 40 or... ok 80 others. I think if something terrible happened and I was somehow forced to cut back to just what I "need" (ooh the thought sends shivers down my spine), I'd get it down to below 10. Haha

My gf says I don't NEEEEEED <--she says it like that.. more than one light. But she knows I love em and love to tinker with em, so she "lets" me keep em all.

g

VillageIdiot

Newly Enlightened
I'm fairly sure all of us recognise that you don't NEED more than two lights. Lights are fun and useful as a hobby, or in conjunction with other hobbies or jobs (night shifts, hiking, camping, biking, jogging, dog-walking, taking down small aircraft with HID etc) Depending on the way you live your life, you can spend your whole life without even owning a single dedicated light (not built into a phone etc). If you're interested in the previously mentioned activities or you simply go out at night a lot, then lights are vital to you.

My gf says I don't NEEEEEED <--she says it like that.. more than one light. But she knows I love em and love to tinker with em, so she "lets" me keep em all.

If she assumes control over your hobbies and spending habits, drop her immediately. xD

Burgess

Flashaholic
Ask that girlfriend how many pairs of shoes she NEEEEEDS !

:devil:
_

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there one light out there that would satisfy my needs or do I NEED more than one light?

I like my EDC (in red in my sig) - it really is versatile enough to do everything pretty well.
It is a single AA sized light and it is hard to wear any clothes that can't fit the light in somewhere. I use a protected 14500 Li-Ion cell to power it - that gives me 3.6V to power the little sucker to an impressive maximum output. I often use it on minimum or low power so the run time is pretty good. I also have a total of 4 x 14500 cells so I can carry enough spare power to use it as long as I need to.

So if this light is all I need then why does my sig list a dozen lights and I also own a bunch of other cheap little lights? :shrug: I guess that sometimes I go camping and want other characteristics in my lights, but my EDC + L0D + a couple of others would be enough - all the rest are just because I can. :whistle: