Cree vs Zenon

Skyeye

Enlightened
A few days ago, I got a Coleman multi-color Cree LED flashlight as it was touted to be a very compact well made light with good throw. Well, after using it since then I returned it today and swapped it out for a Brinkmann MaxFire xenon rechargeable. Wow! what a difference in beam coloration and throw! The Brinkmann seems brighter overall than the cree light and it is more a natural sunlight color with no blue tint. It seems to have 20% more throw than the Coleman. It don't have the red/blue color feature (my S&W does) but is clearly a superior light in spite of it being a little larger but lighter than the Coleman as the Brinkmann is made out of rubber and polymer. It seems to have about a 35 minute continuous run time on the supplied NiCad battery stick. Charger is nice and mounts on the wall.

Anybody else have the MaxFire?

eshishlo

Newly Enlightened
I have the Maxfire that uses cr123's. It is very close to my G2, just a little chubbier. I bet that the rechargeable was a copy of the rechargeable G2 kit that is available. How much did you pay?

mdocod

Flashaholic
Depends on what cree light is compared to what xenon light. Most of the good Q5 and R2 setups that run around an amp or more at the emitter compete very handily with incans in the 2-3CR123 size class in output and throw, but there are always exceptions to the rule, and you can always sacrifice runtime to get more incan power in a small package.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good deal. I bought one semi-broken here, but the real problem with it was an aftermarket battery stick that shorted and ate the switch module.

I had planned on using it to run a Surefire P61 lamp as a pocket-rocket blaster. I bought a 123a one for a new switch, and I gotta say that they're solid little beaters. A little floodier than a P60, maybe a little brighter, and very rugged. I've got fantasies of dropping 4x123a in the rechargeable body and using a 12v lamp from Kaidomain or something for a real blaster.