Brinkmann LEGEND AA with Micropuck

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
I just finished a Legend AA Micropuck mod. I really like this light a lot. I like the compact size along with the tailswitch. I don't know what the run time will be, but this light is going to get used regularly.
The pictures aren't the greatest, but they get the point across. You can see in the second shot the pill inside the body. I had to grind out some areas of the lip for the pill to fit. The screw has a double function by holding the grounding wire along with holding the pill in place when batteries are removed. The beam shots are taken at 3ft. and at 9 1/2 feet.
http://woodbender.freeservers.com/images/assembly.jpg
http://woodbender.freeservers.com/images/led.jpg
http://woodbender.freeservers.com/images/3ft.jpg
http://woodbender.freeservers.com/images/dscn3767.jpg

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
assembly.jpg

led.jpg

3ft.jpg

dscn3767.jpg

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice. Can you explain how in more great detail? inquiring mind wants to know. That was a great idea. I would like to do the same with my legend.

thanks

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
very nice!

mind taking some up close shots of that pill? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a plain NX05; kind'a wierd beam pattern. A sharp dropoff at the edges. But a very nice beam overall.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, a close up pill pic would be nice. Odd looking pill. Very nice looking mod. Great job, woodbender.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice clean job. The beam looks far too good for an NX05. My money would be on NX01..........?

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll have to try doing one.

I actually tried to do this in another type of 2AA flashlight, but getting the optics in turned out to be pretty hard. What's nice about the Brinkmann is that the head comes apart, making it easier to mod.

Wayne

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the comments guys. I was trying last night to get closer shots, but they were coming out blurry. I'll take it to work and try some close up shots with the work camera. I used the older optic(NXO1?). I'll post new pictures if they turn out tonight.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
woodbender said:
I used the older optic(NXO1?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Outstanding choice.. This style beam is why I use the NX01's too.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few weeks ago, someone got a bunch of these for sale for 4 or 6 bucks each, i think. I forget who the man was.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe that's the reason why everytime I look at my first run Arc-LS, it just seems like a brighter beam against most other NX05 LSs...

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
Here are some more pictures. Should be self-explanatory, but I'll answer any questions you may have.
heatsink.jpg

pill-bottom.jpg

pill-top.jpg

pill-body.jpg

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that is really nifty.

What did you use to make/shape the little disc the pill is made of?

It is really impressive how perfectly the micropuck fits in there.

Pat

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a lathe, but I have 12 Fadal machining centers at work. They come in handy sometimes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I took measurements that I wanted, drew it up in cad and machined the disk out of some 1/8" stock I had laying around.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it definitely isn't something I will be trying to copy then. I don't think I will be getting any machining centers any time soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The dual purpose screw was a very clever idea. One of those things that seems so basic and obvious after someone else has thought of them.

Nice work all around,
Pat