BitZ vs. Aeon - looking for advice

ecallahan

Enlightened
I've searched as much as I can and can't come up with any threads pitting the Bitz against the Aeon. I own the BitZ, and really like it. I have been reading all the rave reviews for the Aeon. I found the Aeon on sale.

I'm looking for advice from someone who does/has owned both lights. It seems to me the Aeon would have a better throw/spill combination than the BitZ. If you have experience with both lights, can you tell me which beam pattern you prefer and why, and anything else about the beam patterns that would make me want to trade in a Bitz for an Aeon, or should I keep the BitZ instead.

Thanks in advance.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own an aluminum Bitz. I don't own an Aeon but I do have a Nautilus and from what I have read, the Nautilus does a better job than the Aeon of compensating for the dark Cree ring that can surround the hotspot due to its deeper reflector. I would venture that the beam quality is better on the Bitz. In terms of quality they are on par with eachother. Of course if size is key then the Aeon wins but as you know the Bitz is not unpocketable by any means. I was going to buy an Aeon but the battery format was what kept me from pulling the trigger. I just did not want to introduce another type into my collection. I have a ton of CR123 primaries and RCR's so I went with the Nautilus to keep things consistent. Even online it seems CR123's are more readily available than CR2's. On the other hand, the Aeon has good runtimes so if you only use it a few minutes a day then a store bought CR2 would last you quite a while. I say keep the Bitz and pick up the Aeon so you can truly compare and then keep whichever you like better.

Last edited:

ecallahan

Enlightened
I own an aluminum Bitz. I don't own an Aeon but I do have a Nautilus and from what I have read, the Nautilus does a better job than the Aeon of compensating for the dark Cree ring that can surround the hotspot due to its deeper reflector. I would venture that the beam quality is better on the Bitz. In terms of quality they are on par with eachother. Of course if size is key then the Aeon wins but as you know the Bitz is not unpocketable by any means. I was going to buy an Aeon but the battery format was what kept me from pulling the trigger. I just did not want to introduce another type into my collection. I have a ton of CR123 primaries and RCR's so I went with the Nautilus to keep things consistent. Even online it seems CR123's are more readily available than CR2's. On the other hand, the Aeon has good runtimes so if you only use it a few minutes a day then a store bought CR2 would last you quite a while. I say keep the Bitz and pick up the Aeon so you can truly compare and then keep whichever you like better.

I also have a stash of cr123's and rcr123's, but no cr2's. So before I make a jump to the Aeon I just wanted to be sure. The BitZ also has a pocket clip, so it sits just right in my pocket. I don't belive the Aeon has a clip, but maybe it's so small that wouldn't make sense. I thought about ordering it, and comparing both. If I knew I could sell either one with no problem I'd do that. Geez, I have 3 kids, I shouldn't be doing this around Christmas. Thanks for your comments.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both;

Both are well made and nicely knurled, both have very nice even one color anodizing (Bitz is HaNat, Aeon is Black.) Both have attachments for lanyard or small clip for carrying device. Bitz hasan attachment clip. ( I normally pocket carry, so not having an attached clip is OK for me)

Bitz is a Seoul Led and has an extrordinary smooth beam and is easily the brightest with a 3 level UI. (head twisty, twist to change level) Primary or re-chargeable 123. Bitz has a tirium slot, that I have installed, tritium.....however for daily use, it is not that important to me, and I normally use my Spy005, set very low on 1st switch for night duty.

Aeon has a CreeLED and mine is much warmer, slightly ringy, yet useful.
Ui is simple 2 level head twisty. Low beam is slightly lower to my eyes. CR2 Primary only.

Bitz beam is very similar to a McGizmo Ti PD-S and since acquiring a McGizmo LS 20, I have the option of carrying the Bitz, even though I personally prefer the McGizmo two stage twisty UI. Note that the Bitz has buttery smooth action. Aeon has very smooth threads, as well, however it has a pad on LE to dampen battery rattle (it has no rattle) that is slighly noticeable when using (this will change and become even more smooth with more use).

I can't pick a "winner", Aeon = size and preferred UI. Bitz = brighter and the beam is preferable when wall hunting OR if I am comparing. If using, both are more than adequate (perhaps Bitz beam if I had to choose)

Aeon is smaller, very useful, my preferred Ui; I stock CR2's as I have a SF Titan and a TnC that use same.

Both Aeon and Bitz are excellent, well made rugged lights and I carry either.

Hope this helps.

jeffb

ecallahan

Enlightened
I have both;

Both are well made and nicely knurled, both have very nice even one color anodizing (Bitz is HaNat, Aeon is Black.) Both have attachments for lanyard or small clip for carrying device. Bitz hasan attachment clip. ( I normally pocket carry, so not having an attached clip is OK for me)

Bitz is a Seoul Led and has an extrordinary smooth beam and is easily the brightest with a 3 level UI. (head twisty, twist to change level) Primary or re-chargeable 123. Bitz has a tirium slot, that I have installed, tritium.....however for daily use, it is not that important to me, and I normally use my Spy005, set very low on 1st switch for night duty.

Aeon has a CreeLED and mine is much warmer, slightly ringy, yet useful.
Ui is simple 2 level head twisty. Low beam is slightly lower to my eyes. CR2 Primary only.

Bitz beam is very similar to a McGizmo Ti PD-S and since acquiring a McGizmo LS 20, I have the option of carrying the Bitz, even though I personally prefer the McGizmo two stage twisty UI. Note that the Bitz has buttery smooth action. Aeon has very smooth threads, as well, however it has a pad on LE to dampen battery rattle (it has no rattle) that is slighly noticeable when using (this will change and become even more smooth with more use).

I can't pick a "winner", Aeon = size and preferred UI. Bitz = brighter and the beam is preferable when wall hunting OR if I am comparing. If using, both are more than adequate (perhaps Bitz beam if I had to choose)

Aeon is smaller, very useful, my preferred Ui; I stock CR2's as I have a SF Titan and a TnC that use same.

Both Aeon and Bitz are excellent, well made rugged lights and I carry either.

Hope this helps.

jeffb

It does, thanks. I also heard a response by PM, and it is becoming apparent that the BitZ and Aeon are pretty different lights, even though they are both short in stature. Thanks again

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
i have both the bitz and aeon and they are my EDCs, the aeon is usually in my pocket because it throws farther and the runtimes are better compared to the bitz even with its much smaller battery, the bitz is a short on runtimes on all levels, but the beam is super duper smooth and cool. if i had to pick it one it would be the aeon, i really want to like the bitz but its runtimes are disappointing, especially the low level.

ecallahan

Enlightened
Since this thread came back up, I'll update you on my decision - I now own both!

CPF has really given me a new hobby. But it could be worse, I could be into boats or expensive cars or something worse.

I like them both for different reasons. I find myself carrying the Aeon more than the Bitz, just because it is so much smaller, and fits neatly in the '5th pocket' of my jeans or shorts.

Dan FO

Enlightened
I have a Ti BitZ and a Nautilus and if could keep just one it would be the BitZ. The beam on the BitZ is OUTSTANDING!

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
I'm sorry if I'm opening a can of worms, but what is with the price difference? If the quality and technology are the same, and both are custom made by individuals, why the premium for the Aeon? Is it really that much cheaper to produce such an item in Korea vs US or wherever the Aeon is made?

I had a CR2 Ion a few years ago that i bought for $130. I sold it a while ago and now want to replace it. I found the Aeon but I dont want to pay $200...so I got a Bitz (luckily found one for $110).

To be honest, I did hate one thing about the Ion--sometimes I would tighten the head down a bit too tight and unscrew the bezel by accident. Out pops the window and the AR coating is ruined :ohgeez:. I would then have to fiddle with the head and try to twist it off without breaking or dirtying anything. :sigh:

Hopefully wont be a problem with the Bitz. ;)

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a sale a while back on the Aeon, ($165) and that was enough to make me pull the trigger. Nice light!

As far as I know at the time the BitZ was the least expensive custom light available (AL version). When the price of the Aeon is compared to other custom lights in general it's not out-of-line. The Aeon is quite a bit less material, but the design and execution is beautiful.

The BitZ was the first custom I had purchased, because of the price, and purchasing was simple (bugoutgear). It's a wonderful light, but it made me hate the butter-like knurling on most of my other lights. At this small size the reduced size of the Aeon is significant, and mine has a nicer warmer tint, while the BitZ has the nicer beam over all. The BitZ should have simplified the interface/modes with 4 level only (ultra-low in main set).

As someone else mentioned the BitZ does not appear to have the best run-time (I've not test mine but I'm on my 3rd cell I think). It seems like it does not take long before the driver won't drive at high-level. I don't think my light is faulty.

To answer your questions... I'd have to say it has to be alot cheaper to make such a light and live in Korea. I've never had a problem with the Bezel ring loosening. If it did I'd just locktite it. Keep the threads lubed on the head.

Last edited:

wings

Newly Enlightened
I have a red AEON and just recently acquired a BITZ alum. I simply love the knurling of the Bitz but for EDC it is the AEON. The size of the AEON is so small that you do not feel you are carrying something extra.

Dan FO

Enlightened
I have found the advertised runtimes to be pretty accurate depending on which battery I am using at the time.

BitZ Pocket use Buck-Boost converter and it will control power to the LED even though you use 3.6V rechargeable Li-Ion battery. So, LED will not be damaged by unregulated high current from Li-Ion battery. Off course, birightness by regular 3V CR123A and 3.6V rechargeable Li-Ion battery will be same.
Input voltage range : 1.8V ~ 5.5V
There are basic 3 Brightness levels (Medium-Low-High) and hidden 4 Signals (Strobe-Locater-Extreme Low-S.O.S.)
Brightness (estimated) : High (120~130lumen), Medium (30~40lumen), low (10lumen)
Current to LED (tested) : High (500mA), Medium (150mA), Low (30mA)
Rumtime (tested) : High (1~2 hours), Medium (3~6 hours), low (12~24 hours) depending on 3V or 3.6V.
Runtime for Signal mode (RCR123A, CR123A) : Strobe (8, 12 hours), Locater (24, 36 hours), Ext.Low (45, 70 hours), S.O.S. (8, 12 hours)