LF5XT changed from R2 to Q5 emitter

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was on LiteFlux's website this afternoon and noticed this:
"LF5XT R2 bin LED change to Q5 bin. For R2 bin LEDs is out of stock now, we change it to Q5 bin and using silver button to indicate Q5 version."

If you have been holding off on purchasing this light, this might be a good reason to get one now before the R2s no longer are available at your dealer. I have a black LF5XT R2 and have been delaying getting a natural one, but this will force me to do it. Although I would bet LiteFlux will do as well with the smooth beam Q5 LF5XT as they did with the R2, I think the R2 is a bit brighter and a bit more efficient. Furthermore, the batch of Q5's that LiteFlux has been using recently in their LF3XT are a bit cooler than the R2s.

Last edited:

The Sun

Enlightened
i saw that as well. i was going to pull the trigger on one and saw that the R2's were gone. what dealer do you go through that still have the R2 versions available?

thanks!!!:thumbsup:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
i saw that as well. i was going to pull the trigger on one and saw that the R2's were gone. what dealer do you go through that still have the R2 versions available?

thanks!!!:thumbsup:

Check with EliteLED.com. They have not changed the description of their light. It is still being listed as R2 unless they don't know what they have. Most of the attention lately has been on the LF3XT and I'll bet the recent sales of the LF5XT has been slow in comparison. So they probably still have the R2s. Message them and ask what color is the button on the light.

Once these R2s are sold out, it might make it a bit easier for people who switched to the LF3XT to sell their LF5XT R2 on the marketplace. I have seen a few lately on the MP that haven't been moving. Now, they should.

Last edited:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
EliteLED still has the R2s. He now states that when these are gone, they are gone. No more R2s are expected. If the Q5 version is going to be as smooth in the LF5XT as is the R2, I would imagine they will have to redesign the reflector. The LF3XT tells me that LiteFlux is talented when it comes to making a smooth beam, even with a Q5. Hopefully, they won't compromise their standards with the LF5XT Q5, but I am not taking chances. I just ordered an R2 in natural.

BTW, Khoo doesn't have them any more.

Are the R2s getting scarse, or are they just getting more costly?

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
EliteLED still has the R2s. He now states that when these are gone, they are gone. No more R2s are expected. If the Q5 version is going to be as smooth in the LF5XT as is the R2, I would imagine they will have to redesign the reflector. The LF3XT tells me that LiteFlux is talented when it comes to making a smooth beam, even with a Q5.

Why would the reflector have to be redesigned? :thinking: A Q5 and R2 are exactly the same except for efficiency.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
All Cree XR-E are dimensionally the same.....P3, P4, Q2,.....Q5, R2, etc.

OK, I stand corrected. I looked at my R2 in my Black LF5XT and it looks very slightly smaller than a Q5 I have in another light. It just could be the deeper reflector of the LF5XT that gives me that false impression.

I ordered a LF5XT in Natural for EliteLED.com. It is supposed to be one of the last R2s. Now LiteFlux claims that you can tell the Q5 version by the silver button, but even the R2 had a silver button. So how are you supposed to tell what you really get if it is natural finish? You would think that LiteFlux should change the natural ones to a black button.

Oh, another thing. The Q5 version is now at a lower price $62 shipped from LiteFlux.

NetKidz

Enlightened
Now LiteFlux claims that you can tell the Q5 version by the silver button, but even the R2 had a silver button. So how are you supposed to tell what you really get if it is natural finish?

R2 Natural LF5XT's button is like or darker then the natural color tube (gray?). Q5 LF5XT's silver button is the same as LF3XT's button.

Chewy

Newly Enlightened
So which is better? My understanding is that the R2 could go brighter, but that means the Q5 would go lower on the low end. And doesn't the R2 have a slightly longer run time at the same brightness? Which would have the better tint?

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The R2 is supposed to be both brighter and have a slightly longer runtime.
Khoo, LEDCool, in the CPFMARKETPLACE, use to have R2s, was able to select out warmer R2s from some that were on the cool side and give buyers the LF5XT that they wanted. So it appears that their was some tint variation in the R2s that LiteFlux was putting into the the LF5XT. (I took my chances with mine that I ordered from EliteLED, who won't had select lights. The R2 I have is creamy white; not what I would call warm, but warmer than the Q5 LF3XT I have.)

The Q5's used in the LF3XT, according to KHOO, were all close to being the same, either neutral or slightly cold. One can assume that these are the same Q5s that will now be put in the new version of the LF5XT. I think there is a better chance you will get a less warm LF5XT with the Q5 than you would with the R2. In any case, the R2 should be a bit brighter, and run longer. Whether either of these differences is significant, I tend to doubt it. I would guess when the Q5 really begin to be shipped, we will see comparisons here.