Newest Surefire E1L Question

Jake Bauer

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, First post here.

I just lost my old KL1, 25 lumen Surefire E1L Outdoorsman. Bought it in 2004 or 2005 (can't remember) and lost it a couple weeks ago. Long pocket time caused clip to bend out, and it finally just fell out somewhere. I absolutely loved that light and now I'm naked without one.

My question is about the 2 levels of light on the new E1L (3/45 lumen). When you click the tail cap once, does it go to 3, then 45 on the second click, or reverse? I know the E1B Backup goes 80 lumens of first click and 5 on the second. I would rather have the new E1L go 45 first then 3. Also, how does the momentary work? Does a slight push turn on 3 then 45 with a little tougher push or reverse?

I Like the Idea of higher power and more battery life on the E1L, but I'm not so sure about the dual output. I could use the low setting when I don't need a super bright light (an advantage I didn't have with my old E1L) but for defense purposes (I know at least 60 lumens is recomended, but I've deterred some folks away with 25), I'd like to have the 45 blast out first.

Thanks for your help guys.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Jake and :welcome:

With the new E1L you get the 3 lumens first then 45 lumens.

As for the UI, you need to have two separate momentary presses to switch modes. Soft press for 3, then release, soft press for 45 - it is NOT pressure sensitive.

If you want a pressure sensitive UI go for the L1 - IMHO, the L1 is far superior to the E1L in the fail-proof UI, size (better to hold) and output. Its a slight press for 10 lumens then harder press for 65 lumens. Then twist (NOT CLICK LIKE THE E1L) for 10 lumens constant, twist more for 65 lumens constant.

Hope this helps!

Jake Bauer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot bullfrog. You answered all my questions! Here's a new one for ya, I know most anywhere Surefires will be the same price, but where would be the best place on the net to buy them? Thanks.

1996alnl

Enlightened
The L1 is a better light than the E1L in my opinion.
If you want high power on first, go for the E1B.
I prefer the UI of the L1,it's perfect and brighter than the E1B with a RCR123 in it.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks a lot bullfrog. You answered all my questions! Here's a new one for ya, I know most anywhere Surefires will be the same price, but where would be the best place on the net to buy them? Thanks.

The best place is right here on CPF over in the Marketplace!

Most lights are brand new, just opened boxes, the prices can't be beat and you support a wonderful community. Also, don't forget, with a Surefire, there is a lifetime warranty to ANY owner, be it the first or fifth.

I will probably not buy another Surefire from a retail store (maybe a few exceptions) and wish I had learned about marketplace and bought my first 5+ lights here and saved a ton of cash. For example, you can buy a new L1 online for 135 plus shipping, or, you can find one on marketplace in excellent (and most likely unused condition) for between $90 to $100 shipped.

If you put a "want to buy" ad up, I bet you'll get a handful of sellers within a day.

Don't make the same mistake I did and save yourself a lot of money - and its a nice way to get to know some fellow CPFers!

ja10

Enlightened
I just had two great experiences in the marketplace. I got an E2DL for $110 including shipping ($149 in the store). I also sold my U2 and picked up an Arc AAA on a trade. I don't think I'll go to the store again! To get there, click on the CPF logo, and then scroll way down to the bottom and you'll see LIGHTS: buy, sell, trade. You could post something in the "buy" section, saying you are looking for a like-new L1 (current generation).

For me, the real advantage of buying at the marketplace is if you find after a week that you don't like the light, you should be able to sell it for the same amount. It's really a no-risk situation.

I'd give another recommendation for the L1. It is an excellent light, and sounds like a better fit for you.

Jake Bauer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I like the size of the E1L over the L1. I Like the E1B, but I use the light a lot and the run time on the E1B isn't very practical for me, and I need more than 5 lumens. Thanks for the advice.