L1D, L2D, P2D...extras?

Chewy

Newly Enlightened
Hello All-

Well, I went back and forth between the LF3XT, LF5XT, NiteCore D10, and the lego's from Fenix.

I started by looking at the D10. It had the right price and size, and was pretty versatile, too. I still like it, but I don't like the whole memory feature. They need a user setting that's permanent somewhere in the middle of their ramping. What would be cool would be high, medium, and low with the ability to ramp up or down from each.

So, I moved to the LF3XT. Wow! "Toy factor" was really pulling me, but after a few days of lusting, common sense pointed out that I'm not into CR123's that much, and I just know that I'd have to get rechargeables. No, I'm not "green", but I am cheap. And, because I don't trust them that much, I'd want to get the AW's. I'm not ready to make that kind of an investment...yet. 'I still LOVE this light! And it has a 2AA tube on the way, which makes me really want it.

So, I moved to the little brother, the LF5XT. 2xAA, great FUI with 5 programmable modes. What's not to like? More practical to me, because my camera runs on 2AA NiMH's. The R2 version was (and is) calling to me. However, I just couldn't see spending more for an older 2AA version of the LF3XT.

I even looked at the Jetbeam I IBS for a bit. Great little light, but I couldn't relate to it for some reason.

So, I started to look at lego style lights. I've read a ton on the Fenix lights, especially the reviews, trying to do my due diligence. They aren't the fanciest or the sturdiest, but I love the lego-style modeling. Genius! The only thing that kept putting me off was the lack of a true low, low (hello D10 and Liteflux!), but I could get more flashlights for my dollars.

Then, I stumbled onto a deal over at Lighthound that had the P2D and L1D, plus the diffuser and holster, for $70. That's a deal in itself! But they also had the L2D body for a mere $12! I was up to 3 quality lights for under $90, so I added the red filter to help with my night vision and to compensate somewhat for no low, low. Add to it a CPF discount, and I was out the door for $85!!!

SOOOOO, now my question is. Other than picking up an extra tail assembly or two and maybe one of the new heads, what else do I need to get to give these guys the best treatment available? GID o-rings?

Thank you!

NightTime

Newly Enlightened
What about a diffuser to get floody beam when needed. Fenix is making one, but I'm talking about a F04 style diffuser. Since the F04 don't fit Fenix lights, you either mod a F04 or...

buy this 2-different-inside-diameter diffuser from Olight Click HERE to see.
Fits 1 inch heads (Surefire, Olight) AND Fenix heads like L1D/L2D/P2D etc. It doesn't seem easy available yet but if you talk Russian, you can buy them at:
http://www.megatorch.ru/index.php?productID=37

Might not be the greatest idea, but that's one.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
I made the mistake of buying the L2D tube for my L1D-CE two years ago. I thought "It's just $12 and I'll have it if I need it." I tried it out when I got it and its been sitting in a box ever since. Who knows... someday I might use it... but probably not. It's been two years with no action. I've got plenty of other go to lights.

Now the P2D/L1D deal... :twothumbs

Chewy

Newly Enlightened
Nice diffuser! Hope it comes to the states.

bluecrow- The L2D is only for camping, I think. But, like you, I might find it easier to just keep some extra small batteries (AA or 123) for that task, too. I'll have to see how it performs.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
The runtime is definitely improved by using the L2D body, which is why I bought it at the time. Little did I know a flurry of other lights would follow over the following months! :naughty:

I've had the following Fenix lights: P1, P1D-CE, L1P, L2P w/ Nekomane CR123 body, L1D-CE, L2D-CE, P3D-CE, & P3D-RB100. I haven't ventured into the TK line at all yet. The only reason I've ventured away from Fenix lights (sold the P1's, P1D-CE's and P3D's to other budding flashaholics... they seem to feed the madness easily!) is the lack of true support for rechargable cells. If the P3D series would have truly supported rechargables I would have never gotten rid of them as I loved the form factor and UI. I've used the L1P and L2P's for modding fun.

Regardless of if you're just starting out in the flashlight world or have been around the block a time or two walking your lights, the entire Fenix lineup is still great!

NightTime

Newly Enlightened
[...]So, I started to look at lego style lights. I've read a ton on the Fenix lights, especially the reviews, trying to do my due diligence. They aren't the fanciest or the sturdiest, but I love the lego-style modeling. Genius![...]

What do you actually mean when you say "lego-style"? Swaping heads, body tubes and tail cap?

pipspeak

Enlightened
I made the mistake of buying the L2D tube for my L1D-CE two years ago. I thought "It's just $12 and I'll have it if I need it." I tried it out when I got it and its been sitting in a box ever since. Who knows... someday I might use it... but probably not. It's been two years with no action. I've got plenty of other go to lights.

Heh... I did the opposite. Bought both and now have the L1D tube sitting somewher in the back of a drawer.

One great accessory IMO is the forward clickie. As long as you don't want to tailstand (and the L2d is too tall to tailstand well) it's a great addition to the kit.

Chewy

Newly Enlightened
What do you actually mean when you say "lego-style"? Swaping heads, body tubes and tail cap?

Exactly. Pieces parts are interchangeable.

The only reason I've ventured away from Fenix lights (sold the P1's, P1D-CE's and P3D's to other budding flashaholics... they seem to feed the madness easily!) is the lack of true support for rechargable cells.

Oh, those are my thoughts exactly. I know that it might impact their famous run-times, which is why they don't change their chips, but eventually they are going to have to update or perish. I for one can live without the lithium rechargeables for right now, but if this hobby grows, I might be selling off my Fenix lights, too. What I would prefer is for them to come out with new heads that still match the bodies that I already have. :twothumbs:twothumbs