Li-ion cell problem

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
I'm sort of new to Li-ion batteries. I picked up a few AW RCR123 cells a couple of months ago for use in my EX10. I charge them in a WF-139 charger. I never run them down all the way or leave them on the charger after they are done.

Today I charged one, it took about 45 minutes to top it off. Tonight I popped it in the EX10 and the light lit fine around a medium level. As soon as I jumped to high, the light turned off and would not turn back on. I loosened the bezel and retightened and repeated the problem. When going to high, it cuts out in a second or so. I'm assuming the protection is cutting it off. I put the battery back in the charger and it went green in less than a minute, but still exhibits the problem when back in the light. Hot off the charger, the cell measured 4.05 volts. My other cells come off about 4.15v. The light is OK, another AW cell works fine in the light and this bad cell does the same thing in my new LF3.

Then I tried running the light at a medium level with this cell. The light ran about 5 minutes before cutting out. I checked the voltage and it was 3.8v at that time. After a few minutes in the charger it was cycling from red to green every few seconds. That is unusual, my other cells might flicker once or twice, but quickly go solid green after that. So is this a defective cell? It has had only about 10 cycles. Thanks.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Sounds like a bum cell to me. You might run this by AW and see if he might be willing to work out a deal for you.

Thank You for the in-depth info on voltage conditions during your testing as this really helps narrow it down IMO.

Eric

supergravy

Newly Enlightened
Bum cells can happen, even with AW. I recently purchased 6 AW RCR123's and found that 3 of them behaved much like the OP described. I ended up picking up a hobby charger and found that these three were doing less then 300mAh, while the other three all did >500mAh.

Mine were purchased from LH who promptly sent me replacements. Hope all works out well for you.